Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [northlanejosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
northlanejosh wrote:
I’m using a Wattshop front end, the bracket they made for me gets the extra reach I needed. Maybe suss out tri rig, they do extenders.

I stumbled across your bike in a Google search. Very nice bike you got! That extension bracket Wattshop made for you is very similar to what I had in mind. If I do decide to buy an E119 I'd probably fabricate an extender plate. Too bad no one makes one for the stock cockpit, seems like it would help a lot of owners get some extra reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [_canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The E118 Tri+ seems to be a pretty similar bike to the Orbea Ordu (lower weight relative to average tri bikes, aggressive base bar, responsive etc.).

Not to completely derail this thread but assuming both bikes fit well, which would you consider purchasing? Racing mainly 70.3s with the odd IM (targeting hillier courses). Average 2:10-2:15 for 70.3s if that makes the decision change.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [N.Cornyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E119 is a modern bike now, way faster than the E118, which now is based on a 6-7 year old frame.

N.Cornyn wrote:
The E118 Tri+ seems to be a pretty similar bike to the Orbea Ordu (lower weight relative to average tri bikes, aggressive base bar, responsive etc.).

Not to completely derail this thread but assuming both bikes fit well, which would you consider purchasing? Racing mainly 70.3s with the odd IM (targeting hillier courses). Average 2:10-2:15 for 70.3s if that makes the decision change.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
E119 is a modern bike now, way faster than the E118, which now is based on a 6-7 year old frame.

N.Cornyn wrote:

The 119 disc is 2 watts faster than the 118+ as per Argon's testing.
The 118+ is lighter
The 118+ has more reach
The 118+ is UCI legal
The 118+ is cheaper
The 119 has internal storage, the 118+ does not

Edit : the 118+ was about 8watts faster than the original 118
Last edited by: marcag: Dec 7, 23 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for that Marc!

My question was more so comparing the difference between the Ordu and the E118Tri+, but your above info is still appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N.Cornyn wrote:
Cheers for that Marc!

My question was more so comparing the difference between the Ordu and the E118Tri+, but your above info is still appreciated.

I was looking at the Ordu recently so I did a deep dive on it. They both seem to be very similar in pad reach/stack, the E118 looks to be more aggressive in the basebar position. The E118 lacks any storage, whereas the Ordu has the storage toolbox. Both are likely equally lightweight.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned earlier, I owned both E118, E118+ and E119! For me, the E119 has a MUCH better transfer of power from the pedals to speed. You can literally feel that the first time you mount the bike. E119 is more aero and faster than any earlier bikes ever made by Argon 18.

marcag wrote:
Mulen wrote:

N.Cornyn wrote:

The 119 disc is 2 watts faster than the 118+ as per Argon's testing.
The 118+ is lighter
The 118+ has more reach
The 118+ is UCI legal
The 118+ is cheaper
The 119 has internal storage, the 118+ does not

Edit : the 118+ was about 8watts faster than the original 118
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N.Cornyn wrote:

TLDR: I am very happy with my Argon18 E-118.

The Orbea wasn't on my radar. I saw it featured on GCN but there wasn't a LBS near me that carried the brand. My short list really came down to the E-119 Disc, the E-118Tri+ and the Trek Speed Concept (specifically the UCI version as it was in stock last December). The Shiv TT was not in stock, I had too many questions regarding the SpeedMax geometry. I found a couple of shops in the US that had the Cervelo P5 available in my size but price + shipping/exchange/duties to Canada scratched that off my list.

What put me off about the Trek was the complexity in sourcing the multitude of options for the basebar(s), tower(s), etc. If my local Trek dealer was scratching his head... With an Argon18, you get all the parts in the box; if I want to play with different pad heights later, I'm not going open my wallet to do so.

I've had mine for a 70.3, travelled with it to Europe for Challenge Roth and rode it up Alpe d'Huez. A full season with many happy miles.

Want to know the most subtle thing that I love about the E-118? Water bottle bosses on the down tube AND seat tube. For how I like to do, that means calories, lots of calories, in bottles that are always easy to reach, never going to eject out the back, no sticky hands fumbling with gel packets or dealing with litter. Ah... the simple things :)
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my E-119tri+ dis for 2 months now. But, living 1000km north of the arctic circle, I have only ridden it inside. I love the fit, except it is a little short in reach for me, so I have put longer cups on it. It seems to be easy to travel with and I love the Speedshop 51 aerobars. I haven's had any difficulty with fitting my tools in the tool-compartment. But then again, I use TPU and smaller tools than the one that comes with the E-119.

I have a couple of questions for the E119... I have searched everywhere to find the answer to these questions (except on Slowtwitch...)
-Which rear hydration system do you use?
-With rear hydration system, how can I fit the Garmin Varia mount for the aero seatpost on the E-119?

Argon 18 E-119 Tri+ Disc, with DT Swiss ARC wheelsets
Arena swimgear and Trimtex/Surpas racegear.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched to Argon last summer from Cervelo P5 (after a crash).

I have no complain but the bento box: it is too tight and I dont understand why they did it like that. Cervelo bento box is same size but easier to pack stuff and to reach food during the race. Here on the Argon, you need to have gels or bars sticking out otherwise it is very dangerous (at least for me) to search inside with fingers (opening too tight).
If I found a third-party bento box provider I would change it right away.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [alfie3314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a E-119 and this best way to do rear hydration IMO is the XLAB aero wing, preferably the Carbon wing depending on your saddle. They just announced a new carbon wing that will be available very soon, so I'd wait for that. Many studies show 2 bottles (wider spread) are more aero. I have used both a couple of "O-rings" to attach the Varia mount to the seat post or even have put a Garmin mount on the middle of the wing.

Sounds like you have an awesome setup!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
I have a E-119 and this best way to do rear hydration IMO is the XLAB aero wing, preferably the Carbon wing depending on your saddle. They just announced a new carbon wing that will be available very soon, so I'd wait for that. Many studies show 2 bottles (wider spread) are more aero. I have used both a couple of "O-rings" to attach the Varia mount to the seat post or even have put a Garmin mount on the middle of the wing.

Thank you :) I have ordered the AeroWing now, it was at 70% sale... :) I will also try to put the Garmin mount in the middle of the wing.

Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [alfie3314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alfie3314 wrote:
GaryGeiger wrote:

Thank you :) I have ordered the AeroWing now, it was at 70% sale... :) I will also try to put the Garmin mount in the middle of the wing.

Nice! If you have any issues, I have parts that might help.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryGeiger wrote:
alfie3314 wrote:
GaryGeiger wrote:

Nice! If you have any issues, I have parts that might help.

Wow. Thanks 😊 I will do that 😊

Quote Reply

Prev Next