Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Argon 18 E-119
Quote | Reply
In my nearly endless bike research rabbit hole I have come to the Argon 18 E-119+Tri Disc. Looks like a great bike, but there really isn't much in terms of reviews or owner feedback online. I'd be really interested to hear from anyone here who owns one. Give me the good and the bad about this bike.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't directly help. I spent a long time thinking the E-119 Disc would replace the E-114 I've got. I've loved that bike, served me really well for a decade.

But in the end I've gone for the Trek SpeedConcept. What finally swung it was the handling f the Trek being a bit more stable which is important to me due to my crazy long legs putting me up high, and some other issues that mean that my reactions to small wobbles isn't world class.

That said, I had great service from Argon when I needed a dropout a couple of years back (they were able to find a store in Australia with one in stock, they stopped making them years before). And I've had no issues at all with the frame, bars, fork, seatpost in all the 10s or thousands of KMs I've put on the bike on rough chipseal. So from a brand I'd 100% go back. And the storage of the E-119 does look really well thought out.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the response. I'm also looking at the Speed Concept, however the higher cost is leading me to look at the Argon. What is nice about Argon is that they are local for me as I'm 2.5hrs away from their headquarters in Montreal. Plus they have that small 'boutique' brand vibe and from what you mentioned, they clearly take care of you. I found a small shop outside town that sells Argon, I spoke to the owner yesterday, super cool guy that loves talking about everything bikes. He even offered to give me a small discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an e119 rim brake since 2016. No complaints and great handling. It was my reference bike for many tunnel and outdoor aero test sessions. I have also worked on the disc version, a few things to keep in mind
- proprietary disc brake levers and calipers
- no frame integrated hydration
- check if you can get enough reach (applies to most tri frames)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been on Argon 18, both road and all their top Tri frames since 2007. if you like this bike, go for it - it is fast and it is a beauty.
No longer affiliated to the brand, but they still do really well IMO. Let´s see when a next gen is coming up. They seem to be in a bit of a financial pit at the moment - hope they can make it out just fine.

Some would say that Skipper did the fastest Ironman bike leg ever, on the Sub7 attempt, on exactly that bike (with a bit of help from his friends)

TriguyRy wrote:
In my nearly endless bike research rabbit hole I have come to the Argon 18 E-119+Tri Disc. Looks like a great bike, but there really isn't much in terms of reviews or owner feedback online. I'd be really interested to hear from anyone here who owns one. Give me the good and the bad about this bike.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I contemplated the same this time last December. My short list came down to Trek and Argon18. I went with the Argon18 but purchased the latest E-118 Tri+ over the E-119. What I gave up was the integrated tool storage, mono-riser, extra shaping for the disc calipers and deeper chord of the fork and down-tube. What I do have is a light(er), simpler bike that is designed for modern wheels, brakes, shifting.

Where I live, it is (can be) hilly; if I lived, trained in say, the mid-west, the E-119 may have been the no-brainer.

Regardless, I am very happy with the E-118 Tri+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually waiting for my E-119 to be built right now by the bike shop.

I met with my fitter and his suggestion was the E-119 as the best geometry for me. Even better than the E117.

One benefit of finding a dealer who can build for you is that I was able to swap out items I wanted to cut cost. So I have the SRAM Force + power meter as a swap out for the disc wheels, but have decent trainer wheels.

I'll then try and pick up some better wheels at a later date.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [AgMatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my 119+ for a about a year, and in general I love the bike. It's realatively easy to build and pack, siginificant tool storage, large bento box, and a lot of the other "creature comforts" you would expect on the high end tri bike. I was somewhat concerned about the ability to get spare parts but I have had no issues getting the handful of proprietary parts I've needed in short order. The price was also solid, the frame module includes a lot of equipment that isn't normally included in a frameset which kept my build price down.

That said I do have a couple of complaints: it's short on reach, I'm long legged and still am pushed WAY out over the front of the bike to get into a good position, I had to get different cups that have mounting points further back and my extneions are only partially inserted to get close to the reach I want; it's also heavy, I have a full ultegra kit and, without water, it's pushing 26# in a 58cm.

In the flats, the bike is fast and handles great. But once stuff starts pointing up you're giving up a fair amount in weight. My next bike will likely be on the lighter end (a 118 would have porbably been a better choice).
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [erbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erbrown wrote:
I've had my 119+ for a about a year, and in general I love the bike. It's realatively easy to build and pack, siginificant tool storage, large bento box, and a lot of the other "creature comforts" you would expect on the high end tri bike. I was somewhat concerned about the ability to get spare parts but I have had no issues getting the handful of proprietary parts I've needed in short order. The price was also solid, the frame module includes a lot of equipment that isn't normally included in a frameset which kept my build price down.

That said I do have a couple of complaints: it's short on reach, I'm long legged and still am pushed WAY out over the front of the bike to get into a good position, I had to get different cups that have mounting points further back and my extneions are only partially inserted to get close to the reach I want; it's also heavy, I have a full ultegra kit and, without water, it's pushing 26# in a 58cm.

In the flats, the bike is fast and handles great. But once stuff starts pointing up you're giving up a fair amount in weight. My next bike will likely be on the lighter end (a 118 would have porbably been a better choice).

Did you squeeze a brick into the tool storage? jk

I know a XL will be heavier (I'm a L), but I was seeing mediums around low 9kg.

I too am concerned about the proprietary parts, particularly the brakes which were a turn off in the past. What if things fail years down the road and they stop making parts for them? But that can be said for any bike these says since everything is proprietary.

The reach is a good point that others mentioned too. It is a high, short bike. I can fit on it, but don't have a lot of room to stretch out if I wanted to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha, I feel like that sometimes. "damn, this hill sucks, who shoved some lead into my seat tube?"

I'll pull out my scale tonight and get you a more accurate number, but the thing is heavy and I'm certainly not running heavy equipment.

I bought spares of all of the commonly lost/broken parts just in case (seat post clamp, derailleur hangers, base bar), but I've given up on my concerns about propreitary. Every bike in our garage has some amount of one-off parts that will be difficult to find and it just is what it is. If Argon goes bankrupt AND my brakes explode? I guess I'll just be in the market for a new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said, I'm still riding my E-114 that was released in 2008. Whilst I was worried about what happens if I have an issue, then Argon helped source a spare dropout hanger (in the end didn't need, was just the bolts that had worked loose). And the biggest issue I've had to get a spare for was the 10sp bar end shifter after a bolt came loose and I lost the indexing washer. So not Argon related but stock shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own one and love it, very bare bones and well designed bike. My only regret is not sizing up in the frame, reach was a little shorter than my last bike (giant trinity)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, E119 user here

What I like:
- Very easy to adjust the cockpit of the bike, including the stack of the aerobar and the di2 wires. I use Shimano Ultegra Di2 11s.
- It looks fast, it feels fast, it really rides fast.
- Very easy to pack for travel.
- Sizing is perfect for me. Short on the top tube for long torso individuals like me.

What makes me uncomfortable
- The storage are near the BB is too tight. If the toolbag is not packed well, it can be very hard to bring back to the tool slot, costing you time to repack if it happened in a race (mine during a full IM).
- Lots of proprietary parts, such as the basebar and the hydraulic brakes. A crash can be potentially expensive or time-consuming depending on availability of parts.
- Not compatible with Wahoo Kickr Climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erbrown wrote:
haha, I feel like that sometimes. "damn, this hill sucks, who shoved some lead into my seat tube?"

I'll pull out my scale tonight and get you a more accurate number, but the thing is heavy and I'm certainly not running heavy equipment.

I bought spares of all of the commonly lost/broken parts just in case (seat post clamp, derailleur hangers, base bar), but I've given up on my concerns about propreitary. Every bike in our garage has some amount of one-off parts that will be difficult to find and it just is what it is. If Argon goes bankrupt AND my brakes explode? I guess I'll just be in the market for a new bike.

I'm curious to know what yours weighs.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [northlanejosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
northlanejosh wrote:
I own one and love it, very bare bones and well designed bike. My only regret is not sizing up in the frame, reach was a little shorter than my last bike (giant trinity)

Sizing is where I am kind of stuck on, well maybe not stuck, but certainly overanalyzing. My reach is 460-470mm (end of pad, Argon says 57mm to middle of pad) which puts me end of range for the L. I have looked at the assembly instructions in detail and I feel that a machine shop could easily machine a stack spacer extender, something like 20mm of extension. Radsport Ibert makes spacers for the Speedmax so I don't see why one cannot be made for the E-119, it would certainly help those with reach limitations.

*I appreciate everyone's response so far. All of this is helpful for me.
Last edited by: TriguyRy: Dec 6, 23 3:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes the brakes proprietary? My lbs has my size in the window and I am thinking about showing up in January and asking for a good deal. The brake issue would worry me.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brakes are specifically made for this bike only. They are made by TRP. Good news is you can use Shimano pads and mineral oil.
The TRP TT brakes do look similar to the Argon brake lever bodies.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [_canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
_canadian wrote:
I contemplated the same this time last December. My short list came down to Trek and Argon18. I went with the Argon18 but purchased the latest E-118 Tri+ over the E-119. What I gave up was the integrated tool storage, mono-riser, extra shaping for the disc calipers and deeper chord of the fork and down-tube. What I do have is a light(er), simpler bike that is designed for modern wheels, brakes, shifting.

Where I live, it is (can be) hilly; if I lived, trained in say, the mid-west, the E-119 may have been the no-brainer.

Regardless, I am very happy with the E-118 Tri+.

The 118+ is interesting.

For me the #1 thing is UCI compliance which is nice for TT if you eventually race at a national or masters international level. Granted most triathletes don't care.

It is lighter. it has more reach and it is as fast as the 119 per their testing.

No proprietary brakes (I think).

I think it's a tad cheaper.

It doesn't have the internal storage, but a flat kit can be used as an aero advantage. It's kind of funny to watch Joe Skipper attach all kinds of external storage to make himself "faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to follow up:

My bikes as it sits this morning is 24.7#. That's with cheap carbon trainer wheels, no bottles, and no flat kit.

In full race kit it will move some weight around (better wheels and tires, a disc, full flat kit, etc). But 25 is pretty close to a dry race weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erbrown wrote:
Just to follow up:

My bikes as it sits this morning is 24.7#. That's with cheap carbon trainer wheels, no bottles, and no flat kit.

In full race kit it will move some weight around (better wheels and tires, a disc, full flat kit, etc). But 25 is pretty close to a dry race weight.

Thanks for posting this. That is heavy, but really only a factor if you race hilly courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyRy wrote:

Thanks for posting this. That is heavy, but really only a factor if you race hilly courses.

Absolutely. In Daytona this last weekend, the weight was nearly inconsequential, but the majority of my races (and all of my training) have a fair amount of elevation and saving 4-5lbs would be awesome. In Nice, for example, I was getting blown by on the climbs and then would catch a fair amount of those people on the plateau and descents. On a course that is more rolling it is never that obvious because there aren't the sustained climbs/descents to really highlight that weakness but I know it's still there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyRy wrote:
erbrown wrote:
Just to follow up:

You guys peaked my curiosity; I just weighed my E-118 Tri+: 19.9lbs. Race config including HED Vanquish 60/80 and 28c rubber, Ultegra 12sp, Garmin Edge, Pump/Tools, pedals. Regardless, their is still a lot of value in the E-119 and if I lived in a flatter part of the planet...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m using a Wattshop front end, the bracket they made for me gets the extra reach I needed. Maybe suss out tri rig, they do extenders.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E-119 [_canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
_canadian wrote:
TriguyRy wrote:
erbrown wrote:
Just to follow up:

You guys peaked my curiosity; I just weighed my E-118 Tri+: 19.9lbs. Race config including HED Vanquish 60/80 and 28c rubber, Ultegra 12sp, Garmin Edge, Pump/Tools, pedals. Regardless, their is still a lot of value in the E-119 and if I lived in a flatter part of the planet...

What size is yours? I know its not the same bike, but curious.

I emailed Argon, they quoted me the weight for their E119 medium sized Force AXS at 9.53kg. I figure a large must be around 10kg at least. I know weight is less of a factor with tri bikes, but most races in my region are hilly.
Last edited by: TriguyRy: Dec 6, 23 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyRy wrote:
_canadian wrote:
TriguyRy wrote:
erbrown wrote:
Just to follow up:

What size is yours? I know its not the same bike, but curious.

I emailed Argon, they quoted me the weight for their E119 medium sized Force AXS at 9.53kg. I figure a large must be around 10kg at least. I know weight is less of a factor with tri bikes, but most races in my region are hilly.

My E-118 Tri+ is a size Medium. 9.53Kg sounds about right; with Argon's Force AXS package, they are (according to their website) including the Hunt 34 wheelset which on paper is lighter than my deeper HED wheels; Force AXS being lighter than Ultegra 8100... I'm also weighing with accessories (computer, computer mount, bottle cages, pedals).

One thing you may want to consider (other than weight) is the basebar. On the E-118 Tri+, it is low and unlike previous iterations of that model, only has one position. The E-119 on the other hand, does have a base bar that can be flipped into a high(er) or low(er) position to suit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next