Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading the YouTube comments etc it seems that the current working diagnosis is hemiplegic migraine, which is pretty scary but also a lot better in terms of what it could have been compared to the various other things.
I know his wife Laura is a GP and she would have been super concerned when he presented like he did. Hence why she was wanting to call an ambulance to get him to the nearest stroke unit. Clearly, (as is always the case in medicine retrospectively) his decision to still head out on a ride was not going to be the best decision and he is lucky in many ways that it never eventuated.
I don't think this has any relevance to things like him missing the turns in races in recent times, he doesn't describe any cerebral issues when those things happened (although there is always that possibility but it would be slim).
Good luck to him from here.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [adgatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adgatri wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:
What a scary situation, feel for Joe & hope he gets answers & gets back to training safely. It's so relatable to hear him say that he just wanted to go out for the ride & it sounds like that came pretty close to happening. Who knows where things are at then. Glad he didn't ride & got the initial tests done. Glad he's not racing Florida or something after that. It sucks but it's right to take it easy & figure out what's going on. He'll be back.

yeah, god! listening to his story i thought, "classic triathlete! slow down and take the day off, mate!" glad that it ended relatively well as these things go, and not blanking out and crashing his bike or something.

the epidemiologist in me thinks it might, sadly, be some sort of cerebral infarction. but i also wonder about the long tail of covid. not sure if skipper ever had it, but all the talk of neuro complications has me curious about whether these sort of 'transitory/vague neuro events' will be getting more common in the future.

He did get COVID right before the St. George IMWC if I remember correctly. I was trying to recall if he had crashed or something recently that could have caused a TBI, but couldn't think of anything. COVID being a root cause seems scarier.

My bout with Covid messed my brain up so bad… I couldn’t remember employee names or a name of a small town next to mine. It was messed up.

Has gotten considerably better though - thank god - but never back to 100%
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
It is downright fucking terrifying when you are trapped in your head, desperately wanting to speak...and you can't.

I can deal with the vestibular function stuff. I've got prescription glasses that help with the vision. But when I stop mid-sentence, it's panic inducing.

I've gotten *really* good at hiding it in most scenarios. Most people have no idea.

But I do. And that makes all the difference.

Would you be able to write down what you want to say or type it out? Just curious about how this works for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No -- it's like I've completely lost the ability to find the word or phrase, so I have to invent a way around it.

More often than not, when I'm in that dead end, I'll attempt to back out by changing course, and then find a new way to describe what it was I was trying to say in the first place.

I get straight writer's block now. For someone who usually operated best on the tightest of deadlines, that can be disastrous.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next