Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida...
Quote | Reply
Gotta feel for the guy...

Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just watching the video.

What a crazy turn of events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) Damn, he can't find luck.
2.) I've never found anyone else who more accurately describes the speech recall issue that I have post-TBI. Where you just suddenly stop and can't find the next word and it's a God damned mess.

Fingers crossed the rest of Joe's tests come back clean.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
1.) Damn, he can't find luck.
2.) I've never found anyone else who more accurately describes the speech recall issue that I have post-TBI. Where you just suddenly stop and can't find the next word and it's a God damned mess.

Fingers crossed the rest of Joe's tests come back clean.
October last year, I woke up in hospital one morning not knowing how I got there. I was apparently King Hit walking to my hotel after leaving a farewell party for a couple of workmates and when I regained consciousness in Emergency the following day could not speak properly. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the words out and it was hours before I was able to talk properly. Still don't know what happened to me that night and it only added to the damage that multiple concussions over the years have left.

Just as well it happened before he got on the plane. Poor bugger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is downright fucking terrifying when you are trapped in your head, desperately wanting to speak...and you can't.

I can deal with the vestibular function stuff. I've got prescription glasses that help with the vision. But when I stop mid-sentence, it's panic inducing.

I've gotten *really* good at hiding it in most scenarios. Most people have no idea.

But I do. And that makes all the difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
It is downright fucking terrifying when you are trapped in your head, desperately wanting to speak...and you can't.

I can deal with the vestibular function stuff. I've got prescription glasses that help with the vision. But when I stop mid-sentence, it's panic inducing.

I've gotten *really* good at hiding it in most scenarios. Most people have no idea.

But I do. And that makes all the difference.
Yep scary stuff.

So many scary side affects with brain injuries or conditions. Just have to keep fighting the good fight and keep the confusion under control. Just hope for Joe that it is something he can confirm and deal with successfully.

All the best to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLDR version of the video?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to you!

Always a DM/email away if you ever need to chat.

Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
TLDR version of the video?

IG post has pretty much all of it

https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really disappointed for him. But he's got his head in the right place though, which must be tough this sub after bad news. I'm really rooting for him to do well in the IM Pro series. And I hope he's back to 100% health soon.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man what a lousy season for Joe. Hope all his tests come back clean and he can get back to training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guy made a serious smart choice for his future. 2024 will be a huge year for Joe

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy how many people I know and "know" deal with this stuff. Unfortunately, medical science understands so little about the brain there is only so much they can do.

Hope you, Joe, rheisler and everyone dealing with stuff manages well.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Crazy how many people I know and "know" deal with this stuff. Unfortunately, medical science understands so little about the brain there is only so much they can do.

Hope you, Joe, rheisler and everyone dealing with stuff manages well.
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a scary situation, feel for Joe & hope he gets answers & gets back to training safely. It's so relatable to hear him say that he just wanted to go out for the ride & it sounds like that came pretty close to happening. Who knows where things are at then. Glad he didn't ride & got the initial tests done. Glad he's not racing Florida or something after that. It sucks but it's right to take it easy & figure out what's going on. He'll be back.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me wonder about the few stories of Joe missing turns, biking too long in the national time trial, etc. I wonder if those things are related to his brain checking out for a bit and he hadn't made that connection.

I hope he gets some good testing to find out what it is. Google always says it's a brain tumor I think...
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
What a scary situation, feel for Joe & hope he gets answers & gets back to training safely. It's so relatable to hear him say that he just wanted to go out for the ride & it sounds like that came pretty close to happening. Who knows where things are at then. Glad he didn't ride & got the initial tests done. Glad he's not racing Florida or something after that. It sucks but it's right to take it easy & figure out what's going on. He'll be back.

yeah, god! listening to his story i thought, "classic triathlete! slow down and take the day off, mate!" glad that it ended relatively well as these things go, and not blanking out and crashing his bike or something.

the epidemiologist in me thinks it might, sadly, be some sort of cerebral infarction. but i also wonder about the long tail of covid. not sure if skipper ever had it, but all the talk of neuro complications has me curious about whether these sort of 'transitory/vague neuro events' will be getting more common in the future.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit off topic, and hopefully not illegal to post this here, but if you have a TBI, or know someone suffering from one, perhaps you would consider supporting the Small Monsters Project https://www.thesmallmonstersproject.com/. Ben Frederick talks openly and honestly about this TBI and the impact it had on his life and career, and started the project to try to help other folks impacted.

Ryan, maybe I'll see you at Treehouse CX in Deerfield this weekend? Ben is racing there.

--Meg
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

yeah, god! listening to his story i thought, "classic triathlete! slow down and take the day off, mate!" glad that it ended relatively well as these things go, and not blanking out and crashing his bike or something.

the epidemiologist in me thinks it might, sadly, be some sort of cerebral infarction. but i also wonder about the long tail of covid. not sure if skipper ever had it, but all the talk of neuro complications has me curious about whether these sort of 'transitory/vague neuro events' will be getting more common in the future.

He did get COVID right before the St. George IMWC if I remember correctly. I was trying to recall if he had crashed or something recently that could have caused a TBI, but couldn't think of anything. COVID being a root cause seems scarier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

It sounds to me like he might have had a petit mal seizure.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't that have shown in the CT scan or MRI? i.e. portion of the brain damaged
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [adgatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had similar symptoms and it was put down to covid. Slowly seems to be going away and the second time I had covid I didn’t get the brain fog, bouts of migraines after, word finding problems or balance issues.
I do wonder if it was really the covid or was more stress related for me, and whether Joe with a new kid, patchy results this year compared to expectations and one of his big sponsors wiggle going bust might be under more stress than he realised?
Quote Reply
Re: Poor old Joe Skipper out of IM Florida... [MeggieB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) Thanks for the link.
2.) I very much would love to be in Deerfield, seeing as it is a hop and a skip from Tundra Division HQ. Alas, Ivy has a swim meet up in White River Junction so if I'm going to be anywhere, it'll be on deck at UVAC.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yeah, this is super not fun stuff. It's been part of my long COVID panoply of symptoms, and even when you learn to hide it... you know it's happening.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well darn! Good luck to the swim team!
Quote Reply

Prev Next