Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain in my ass
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitchers,

I have always had issues with comfort on the bike. In particular, my butt on the saddle. A few years back I got a professional retul fitting, and I even had my coach take a look at my position earlier this year. But the discomfort persists. When on the bike I have certain pains elsewhere, but the saddle persistently is my biggest pain point. It keeps me from really enjoying riding my bike.

The level of discomfort is such that even finishing a 70.3 is pretty difficult. And now my friends have convinced me to do a full Ironman next year. So I need to change something if I hope to finish that.

I’ve tried several saddles over the years, including an ism, specialized power comp and bisaddle. I’m currently riding the bisaddle.

I am 6’6” tall. So I imagine my “sit bones” might be a little wider than the average person. Im not sure how or if that factors into this. This is why I’m currently on the bisaddle, since it gave the freedom to make the saddle a little wider than the ism I was on previously.

At this point I’m desperate. I’m considering ditching the Tri bike and just going with a road bike full time since it is at least a little more comfortable. Although even on my road bike my ass is killing me by 90 minutes into the ride.

This brings me to this post, have any of you experienced similar difficulties? If so are there any solutions that worked for you? I’m open to any ideas or suggestions at this point.

Thank you all for you time,
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Pain in my ass [Thestevebrandon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an fyi that Slowman started a dedicated curated discussion thread for help on saddle discomfort - perhaps also try there?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing_Saddle_P7479122/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should the sit bones even be taking the majority do the load while in aero position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pain is truly your butt and not your grundle or ball area? If so, I would hope that your resolution would be easier to solve than pain in the taint area. This might be totally off the wall thinking but I've definitely seen a saddle that has two independent sections on it for each butt cheek rather than it being one connected saddle. Any chance you've seen or heard of those before?

For the longest time I could never get comfortable on my tri bike based on the saddle and I thought about doing the same thing as you, just ditching it and going with a road bike. But I eventually got it sorted out but it took a while. Maybe look at the fizik saddle...

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Pain in my ass [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the bisaddle the OP is on today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use our bib with our saddle and chamois cream - you will find the pain goes away.

Just set up the saddle so the bones - just forward of your sitz' bones - have support on the padded portion of the saddle when you rotate into aero. The bibs and cream will do the rest.

If your pain does not substantially go away; I will re-fund your purchase.

https://positiononesports.com/pages/technology

Our sizes run true so don't order too big on sizing. If you are in between sizes get the smaller size.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm currently rearranging my position because out of the blue my hips and butt started to hurt ... to the point I didn't want to ride anymore. I'm certain the hip issue was causing the butt pain because I was subconsciously leaning in different ways trying to find a position to stop the pain.

I figured out that I have a leg length discrepancy. I put on shorter cranks, added a shim on my shorter leg. I (actually) lowered my seat 10 mm and now have the saddle tip 7cm behind the bottom bracket. It was around 5 cm. I then lowered the front end.

I'm still making adjustments to the cleats and saddle height. But my butt and hips are better. Now I'm dealing with unexpected knee pain that started after I made the adjustments....

Gall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you didn't make it clear precisely where the pain is, or even when it happens, other than 90min into a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain in my ass [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
If you use our bib with our saddle and chamois cream - you will find the pain goes away.

Just set up the saddle so the bones - just forward of your sitz' bones - have support on the padded portion of the saddle when you rotate into aero. The bibs and cream will do the rest.

If your pain does not substantially go away; I will re-fund your purchase.

https://positiononesports.com/pages/technology

Our sizes run true so don't order too big on sizing. If you are in between sizes get the smaller size.

THIS ^^^^^ is true

The padding is completely different than other shorts

They are the correct shorts for the aero position
Quote Reply
Re: Pain in my ass [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pain is really right on my sit bones, right at the contact point of my butt on the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, lower your seat some. I know you got a bike fit but lowering the seat usually cures most of these issues which can let you gradually work the seat back upwards if it’s working for you. Try this first; it’s free and usually works without a big change in seat height. But you should drop the seat enough that you do notice it.
Quote Reply