Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I know the whole Middle East "brand" has a whole lot of controversy. And I know in golf the LIV brand is 100% "middle eastern" backed money. But was the SLT always big with that association? I know they have their final event on that island in the middle east that's like nothing there but the structure. And of course someone had to financially back the SLT. I know McCormack has had some Middle Eastern money backers for a long time with that "foundation" that has sponsored pro's forever now (AB was part of it way back in the day may even still be apart of it I believe) now and I know he was one of the biggest proponents and the face of the SLT organization basically since day 1- so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Maybe they did a better job of "hiding" the association much better than say the LIV brand (that seems to be very much in your face about who's holding the money bag). Or maybe we are just so small of a sport the association kinda gets swept under the rug and/or I blindly ignorantly ignored who's the true backers of SLT. So is the billionaire who backed SLT is he among the "sports washing" narrative, I always thought/heard he was European; again maybe my blind ignorance is more showing on that particular subject of who's the real money man in SLT. I just didn't think they had the same "sports washing" type of narrative that say LIV organization deals with (and I'm sure it's there in other sports as well).

Eta: I knew there was ME association I guess I didn’t know the degree like with LIV golf everyone knows it’s basically all backed by oil money. SLT I didn’t think it was the same all in from oil money association. Maybe that’s because golf has much bigger draw than little ole triathlon.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 11, 24 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
More amateur hour thoughts, assuming "Malibu Triathlon" is the trademarked name SLT bought or even the common law trademark they operated under they can certainly claim some damages if Epstein operates under that name. That doesn't give them access to the venue, and most likely, at best they won't even get damages just an agreement to not call the new thing Malibu Triathlon.

So I went to the U.S. Patent Office (using my fingers and an internet link) and made a very interesting discovery.

Ryan, you want to take a look at this too.

The Malibu Triathlon is a protected trademark of Malibu Triathlon Productions, LLC. The application was filed August 26, 2022 and registration was granted October 10, 2023.

My immediate thought: "this is probably how Super League named their U.S. subsidiary".

Well, no. It's a subsidiary of USA Sports and Entertainment, doing business as Motiv Sports. Super League acquired the event as Super League Holdings PTE LTD based in Singapore.

So a year after transferring its agreement with the Malibu municipality to Super League, Motiv Sports files to register in its own name the trademark Malibu Triathlon, and obtains the registration.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jan 11, 24 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So I know the whole Middle East "brand" has a whole lot of controversy. And I know in golf the LIV brand is 100% "middle eastern" backed money. But was the SLT always big with that association? I know they have their final event on that island in the middle east that's like nothing there but the structure. And of course someone had to financially back the SLT. I know McCormack has had some Middle Eastern money backers for a long time with that "foundation" that has sponsored pro's forever now (AB was part of it way back in the day may even still be apart of it I believe) now and I know he was one of the biggest proponents and the face of the SLT organization basically since day 1- so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Maybe they did a better job of "hiding" the association much better than say the LIV brand (that seems to be very much in your face about who's holding the money bag). Or maybe we are just so small of a sport the association kinda gets swept under the rug and/or I blindly ignorantly ignored who's the true backers of SLT. So is the billionaire who backed SLT is he among the "sports washing" narrative, I always thought/heard he was European; again maybe my blind ignorance is more showing on that particular subject of who's the real money man in SLT. I just didn't think they had the same "sports washing" type of narrative that say LIV organization deals with (and I'm sure it's there in other sports as well).

Eta: I knew there was ME association I guess I didn’t know the degree like with LIV golf everyone knows it’s basically all backed by oil money. SLT I didn’t think it was the same all in from oil money association. Maybe that’s because golf has much bigger draw than little ole triathlon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Boguslavsky
this is the main founder
https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...anadian-citizenship/
so certainly no middle east connections here or lets say not more than world triathlon... iam not to into it of is connections with putin but he does not seem to be sanctioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
More amateur hour thoughts, assuming "Malibu Triathlon" is the trademarked name SLT bought or even the common law trademark they operated under they can certainly claim some damages if Epstein operates under that name. That doesn't give them access to the venue, and most likely, at best they won't even get damages just an agreement to not call the new thing Malibu Triathlon.

So I went to the U.S. Patent Office (using my fingers and an internet link) and made a very interesting discovery.

Ryan, you want to take a look at this too.

The Malibu Triathlon is a protected trademark of Malibu Triathlon Productions, LLC. The application was filed August 26, 2022 and registration was granted October 10, 2023.

My immediate thought: "this is probably how Super League named their U.S. subsidiary".

Well, no. It's a subsidiary of USA Sports and Entertainment, doing business as Motiv Sports. Super League acquired the event as Super League Holdings PTE LTD based in Singapore.

So a year after transferring its agreement with the Malibu municipality to Super League, Motiv Sports files to register in its own name the trademark Malibu Triathlon, and obtains the registration.

Oops. The SLT's lawyers were quite shit so it seems.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All that brouhaha aside, I've seen breathless posts on IG and elsewhere which are basically press releases by SLT about how this decision somehow ruins the 38 year tradition of Malibu Tri. Granted, i only did it once as the bike leg of a relay (and the whole thing was a crowded shitshow although a great venue) so don't have anything invested in the race, but I am failing to come up with the outrage they're demanding of me.

-Epstein was in charge for the recent portion of that history, not sure who owned prior to 2013 but 2013 - 2017 he certainly put on the race most people remember, Was he in charge in Nautica days? At any rate, SLT is only responsible for 3 of those 38 years, not seeing where they have standing here

-So it's not called the Malibu Tri. OK, frankly I don't care what the races I do are called.

-Loss of SLT - OK, I can see that's a cool option to have at the venue, actually stopped on a long ride to watch in 2021 and it was fun to see. But it wasn't on the Oly day (i think it was sprint day) so many didn't even get to see likely.

-It's now a one day event - this would have congestion and crowd issues, limited to 4K don't know how many were there before. Again, not on my schedule so agnostic here.

-Optics - Epstein sold the permit, it was valid for another 3 years, then he re-acquired the permit. Back room dealings? Welcome to small town politics. But seems he responded to the RFP fair and square and a process was carried out in which Malibu CC gets to make the call they feel is best for the town

-I can't say it's a bad decision to move from SLT ownership to local ownership (or at least more local).

I mean, it's fun to talk about on ST at all, but even if I were a regular participant I don't really see how this is all that bad (other than race consolidation)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jan 11, 24 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epstein ran it since the time immemorial - he was already there in 2009 when I did it for the 1st time.
The only loss that I see is the removal of the Olympic course option which I am guessing was what the city really cared about. I am not going back to the short course race because it was frankly overcrowded and downright dangerous even in 2016.

It is a major boon for the Santa Barbara tri imo!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thought he ran it for quite some time but wasn't sure

From what I read, they are still offering an Oly and sprint. Max number 4K, not sure how many they used to have but the one i did was super crowded. Should not be a bike course problem if they still go under the bridge at Leo for the sprint (gobies notwithstanding at the Zuma bridge).

Funny, as for SB, that is also under new ownership the last couple years and no one seemed to squawk about that race
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jan 11, 24 13:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Epstein's email on 01/09:

Saturday, September 14

Zuma Foundation Triathlon for Kids Ages 9-14
100-200 yd Swim, 2-4 Mile Bike, 1-2 Mile Run

Sunday, September 15

½ mile Swim, 18 mile Bike, 4 mile Run
1.5K Swim, 40k Bike, 10k Run

ie no more Oly on Saturday. Makes sense since the local likely bitched about dealing with no parking for the entire weekend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I read in one of the stories that an Oly included but, from the horse's mouth ....

But frankly, it is a return to the classic as the Oly was a more recent addition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the latest on the zuma triathlon? Is it still going ahead?
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [Freeheeler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much updated on the website, but this is where you'd want to look for info: https://zumabeachtriathlon.org/

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freeheeler wrote:
What’s the latest on the zuma triathlon? Is it still going ahead?

They had a ride and bbq kind of event for the corporate team captains about a month ago. I didn't go, but some people went and it was described as lightly attended.
Pretty sure that it will happen this year, but I personally am very hesitant to do the classic course as the bike gets too crowded.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies
I was actually inquiring for my son to try and find him
Events to do during the summer. We opted out of going to nationals due to the cost ($1500+) for 2 for a 16 min race isn’t really worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [PCHTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cancelled for 2024, and methinks it is not coming back in 2025.
Quite a few Corporate teams rolled over into the Long Beach Legacy tri in July - the same RD behind it, but the course is uninspiring as all hell.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Quite a few Corporate teams rolled over into the Long Beach Legacy tri in July - the same RD behind it, but the course is uninspiring as all hell.

Yep, made official today via email even though their website is still proclaiming registration coming soon :).

https://mailchi.mp/...sophias-honor-372893
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite a few Corporate teams rolled over into the Long Beach Legacy tri in July - the same RD behind it, but the course is uninspiring as all hell. //

Ok I'm confused here, isnt the Zuma foundation the old Epstein group that took back the race from Super League??? I mean Super League got to keep the name they paid for, Malibu Triathlon, and then that other group then called their the Zuma Triathlon? Do I have that right, or am I mixed up.

And if so, then the Long Beach group is the Super League one and polar opposites and enemies in the RD arena...So kind of a big deal if this is the case, unless I have it ass backwards..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re in the L.A. area, the L.A. Tri Club has a free training/coaching program for teens, and the coach might have a good handle on potential events.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately not. We are in Carlsbad, San Diego. Nothing much here for kids training wise 3 races for kids between now and October
It was much better when we lived up in the Bay Area we had the TBF races, both duathlon and triathlon for kids. All awesome races. The Bay Area races or the Silicon Valley races were over populated with entrants. Great for first timers but after that, way too expensive for a poor race
It’s why we are considering a move back to the UK. I was born there and kind of miss it and the youth scene is 100 times better than here
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Quite a few Corporate teams rolled over into the Long Beach Legacy tri in July - the same RD behind it, but the course is uninspiring as all hell. //

Ok I'm confused here, isnt the Zuma foundation the old Epstein group that took back the race from Super League??? I mean Super League got to keep the name they paid for, Malibu Triathlon, and then that other group then called their the Zuma Triathlon? Do I have that right, or am I mixed up.

And if so, then the Long Beach group is the Super League one and polar opposites and enemies in the RD arena...So kind of a big deal if this is the case, unless I have it ass backwards..

All of it is correct.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then how does this make sense, different RD's for each of these races??

"Quite a few Corporate teams rolled over into the Long Beach Legacy tri in July - the same RD behind it"
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The RD for LB is no longer the RD for Zuma.
The folks that were doing the corp teams work for SuperTri/Malibu (ie Veronica H) moved on to use the LB tri as their mechanism for raising money for the CHLA. Corporate teams participate in the fundraising effort mainly.

Last edited by: alex_korr: Apr 25, 24 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFC this is worse than a Real Housewives reunion (my wife watches, what do I know...)

I agree that '25 is doubtful. With these races, taking a "year off" is typically the kiss of death.

I did the Legacy tri in ... 22? 21? At any rate the bike and run course are uninspiring. Bike had a LOOOOOOOT of potholes as I recall in one section
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
JFC this is worse than a Real Housewives reunion (my wife watches, what do I know...)

I agree that '25 is doubtful. With these races, taking a "year off" is typically the kiss of death.

I did the Legacy tri in ... 22? 21? At any rate the bike and run course are uninspiring. Bike had a LOOOOOOOT of potholes as I recall in one section

So has Epstein been thwarted? He seems like the villain in this series.
Quote Reply

Prev Next