Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Malibu Tri Canceled?
Quote | Reply
Looks like this year's Malibu Tri will be canceled less than two weeks before the race. Also supposed to be a Super League Pro Race.

https://www.foxla.com/news/malibu-triathlon-future-in-jeopardy-heres-why
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [PCHTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PCHTri wrote:
Looks like this year's Malibu Tri will be canceled less than two weeks before the race. Also supposed to be a Super League Pro Race.

https://www.foxla.com/...n-jeopardy-heres-why

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
PCHTri wrote:

https://www.foxla.com/...n-jeopardy-heres-why

thx for that gman. have to think a known issue on the organizers part, i have no personal knowledge of it. fairly serious items, so no criticisms. still a possibility upon appeal according to that news piece. it was more about when i read of a 38 year history? that would hurt - both the organizers and the tri community. best of luck.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the email we got today:

As we eagerly anticipate the 38th edition of the Malibu Triathlon and prepare to celebrate raising another $1 million dollars for Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA), we are reaching out to provide information and transparency over some challenges we are currently facing with this year’s event.
​
This year’s heavy rain in Malibu has led to flooding of the Zuma Underpass, which has been a key part of our bike course. We also learned in late-August that an endangered species, the Tidewater Goby, has taken up residence in the water. This means that the water cannot be cleared or bridged as has been done in past years, and this has forced us to redesign the course within the last three weeks.
​
Our team has done a remarkable job in coming up with an amended bike course on such a short timeline that will still provide an enjoyable race experience while also respecting the habitat of the local wildlife. No objections to this course have been raised by the relevant agencies and public bodies, who have deemed it safe for use. Full details of the proposed bike course are available via our FAQs.
​
Unfortunately, our permit for this event has been denied on a technicality. We are appealing that decision and are confident we will be able to hold the safe, enjoyable and inspiring event we all want while helping some of the most vulnerable in our society by raising vital funds for pediatric cancer research at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. We are so proud to have already contributed $18 million to CHLA over the years, and want this number to grow significantly still.
​
We plan to issue a further update on Tuesday, September 26, but of course we will be in touch immediately if we have information sooner. We would again kindly direct you to the FAQs as the source of the most detailed information we currently have and hope you appreciate the efforts we are putting in to be open and honest and to ensure we deliver another successful event.
​
Please Note: We are including links to information on our website. This information may change slightly between now and race day, so please be sure to check back on the website prior to race day for the latest updates! Official athlete guides will be sent out later this week.
​
Thank you for your understanding and support,
​
THE MALIBU TRI TEAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PCHTri wrote:

The whole thing is a bogus excuse on behalf of the city of Malibu to finally get rid of the event. That stupid underpass has been flooded pretty much every year. It is similar to the ridiculous mitigations that they had to do at Leo Carillo a few years ago. The amended bike course would work, but it'd require 2 blockades on the PCH - and I am sure that this would make the locals even more pissed off. The CHP is probably is not gonna like it too much.

I think that the pro race can still proceed - they do not use the underpass in question.

Edit: looks like the bike course will be shortened and will be made up of loops in the parking lot. Fuck that, I am glad I am not doing it this year.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Sep 22, 23 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't signed up because of a possible conflict, which finally cleared up, and I was going to register (it was still open the day before), but then my wife calls out to me, there's a TV news report about the Malibu Triathlon being cancelled.

Only in California. Guess I got lucky. I wish at work I could have the attitude of the City of Malibu:

Commissioners insisted their hands were tied. “I support the aims and goals here wholeheartedly,” said Commissioner Kraig Hill. “The problem that we have is that this is not just about bureaucracy. We are being asked the break the law. The noticing requirement is the law.”

You know, there is a such a thing as the "spirit and intent of the law", and that you can violate the "letter" of the law, without violating the spirit and intent. Sir, we're going to have to arrest you for jaywalking. It doesn't matter that you were being chased by an assailant with a knife with the intent to kill you. We can't be expected to allow you to break the law. Clown show.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [giddyup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we'll know today after the final appeal.

https://pepperdine-graphic.com/...el-malibu-triathlon/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's terrible. I vividly remember practicing for my 1'st ever tri there in 98. The day before the race I went for a practice swim. 1/2 way through a few "fins" swam by me. I thought they were sharks and felt like I was waking on water to get to shore... They were not sharks, but to a lake swimmer - fins in the ocean can only be sharks.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race is happening after all.

We are delighted to confirm that this year’s 38th edition of the Malibu Triathlon will take place as scheduled this weekend, September 30-October 1.
​
Malibu Triathlon would like to place on record its sincere gratitude to Malibu City Council for working with us to ensure the event will be a huge success.

As per our last communication, the altered bike course will proceed as planned. Please refer to our FAQs for full details.

In addition, we are very proud to announce that we have already reached an incredible $1 million fundraising threshold for Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and this is before we even get to the event weekend itself.

This is a truly remarkable achievement and deserves celebration and recognition in the world of sport. It is thanks to you, your support and your effort, that together we can help to change the lives of some of the most vulnerable children and their families at a time when they need it most.

From the bottom of our hearts thank you, please prepare well and enjoy a wonderful race weekend.
Here you will also find a link to your comprehensive Athlete Guide. We trust that you will find all of the answers to your questions in this Guide.
​
Please Note: We are including links to information on our website. This information may change slightly between now and race day, so please be sure to check back on the website prior to race day for the latest updates!
​
We will see you at the start line on September 30th & October 1!
​
THE MALIBU TRI TEAM
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be really careful with that tri-crit that they will be running this weekend. Especially if you're in a Sunday race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean I’m glad they got the green light, but holy cow. That has huge shitshow potential
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the rain made the bike sketchy as hell. Managed to get in the aero bars maybe 40% of the time, but the turns and pinch points did not make it a pleasant ride at all. Watch says the swim was 2,000m instead of 1,500m which is a bit strange. I didn’t mind the rain at all, but the bike course sucked.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Well the rain made the bike sketchy as hell. Managed to get in the aero bars maybe 40% of the time, but the turns and pinch points did not make it a pleasant ride at all. Watch says the swim was 2,000m instead of 1,500m which is a bit strange. I didn’t mind the rain at all, but the bike course sucked.

Last year my swim was close to 2100 yards. They changed the course layout last year and I am guessing that swimming into the current going southbound is just going to make like that all the time...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got this from the organizers - seems like their permit is truly in trouble:

Dear past participant,

Once more, we need your help to ensure the Malibu Triathlon legacy continues.

As you might know, the Malibu City Council has initiated an RFP for the continuation of the Malibu Triathlon®. We at Super League Triathlon have been proud stewards of this event since its acquisition in 2020, a period marked by the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.

We focused on revitalizing the event, enhancing its charitable impact, and creating deeper connections with the local community through increased numbers of partnerships. As well as continue to raise important funds for Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA).

As a company deeply rooted in triathlon, we also own and manage the Chicago Triathlon and NYC Triathlon. Alongside these, we organize professional events under the Super League Triathlon brand. The Malibu leg of the pro event over the last three years has featured Olympians and is supporting USAT's Project Podium, preparing US athletes for LA28.

Our vision is to establish a series of short-course legacy triathlons nationwide with Malibu, Chicago, and NYC to introduce the sport to new audiences and nurture the next generation of athletes. Our professional events, known for their excitement and entertainment, align with this goal.

Malibu City Council is presently evaluating the fate of the Malibu Triathlon, and a decision is due early in December.

The council is considering three options for the Malibu Triathlon: cancellation, returning the event permit to MESP, or continuing with us. Returning the permit to MESP, who sold it for commercial gain, raises ethical concerns and necessitates a name change due to IP issues. This option disregards our ongoing commitment to reviving the event post-COVID, the efforts done in fundraising, and our positive community impact. Cancelling the event or transferring the permit would also diminish its significant contributions to CHLA's pediatric cancer research.

Your support is crucial at this juncture.

Please consider emailing the city council, contacting other local officials and advocating for our continued management of the Malibu Triathlon and the continuity of the legacy event that you have enjoyed for over 30 years.

Below is a draft email for your reference, which you can personalize and send to the Malibu City Council Ad Hoc Road Race Committee.

Thank you for your time and continued support. Our athletes, CHLA, its patients and local Malibu community organizations are counting on us and YOU. We look forward to seeing you in 2024!

Warm regards,

Michael Dhulst
CEO, Malibu Triathlon / Super League Triathlon

Please send to Paul Grisanti - PGrisanti@malibucity.org and Marianne Riggins - MRiggins@malibucity.org and contact me with any questions or other ideas on how we can help this Malibu community event continue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why TF would a return of the permit to MESP even be on the table??
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Money. Follow the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's kinda wild. But I do find it interesting that a city is doing an RFP.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without having any knowledge I’d just think SL has more assets than MESP. Last I heard he was living on a boat in Europe or some such
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's something wrong with this e-mail - in particular about how he's describing the legal situation.

You can't "buy a permit" from someone only to see it re-assigned by the municipality, can you?

Either SLT had a permit to organize the Malibu Triathlon 2024 or they didn't.

I'm not a lawyer, especially not a California one, but I'd assume that private property gets some protection there. In principle, if you buy something, you own it, and it can't be expropriated on a whim. Can it?

What Dhulst probably means is they bought a going concern which at the time was permitted to organize Malibu Triathlon 2020 or something, but what he is not saying the permit needs to be renewed every year at the discretion of the city. My guess.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Nov 30, 23 1:27
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the permit was issued for a period of time, probably over a period of several years. I guess that if you have a permit issued to your legal entity DBA, you can sell your enterprise and the current permits would transfer with it?

I do know that the city didn't want this event for at least some time, mainly because it is a legit hardship for the locals not to be able to park on PCH for 2 days straight - but I guess that MESP had enough pull there to make it happen. SLT likely doesn't and I don't think that they retained very many of the MESP employees to know whom to even talk to in Malibu, given the last year's fish/underpass fiasco.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probaly sacreligious to say as this race/venue has a ton of history. But it seems like there's a ton of hurdles that the race venue is being confronted with over and over......so would it hurt to lose this venue? Again I get it, it's got the history and what the iconic beach location but it seems like the city is kinda saying "we dont want you" anymore.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it seems like there's a ton of hurdles that the race venue is being confronted with over and over//

I dont think there are a ton of hurdles, just the one of the city and permit issues. And that could just be 1 or 2 on the council pushing that, I have had that issue in the past in my races. All the individual issues are just basically made up ones to not give the permit. Nothing has changed really in the 30+ years of the race history, but people do change and have different agendas.

Sometimes it is as simple as two egos butting heads, the LA triathlon was eventually killed for that very reason. I had a partner who was similar in that he just didnt know when to keep his mouth shut, and got into fights with folks that have to sign off on your races. I have no inside info here, but the takeover of the original folks and the new sheriff in town could point to something going on there. Remind me again who funds Super League???
Quote Reply
Re: Malibu Tri Canceled? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you've gotta admit if the hurdles are the city and/or the permits; your pretty much not going to have a race there much longer. The writing seems to be on the wall. And I've thought the SL format in that parking venue only area while likely super cost effective just to be a "shitty" race experience for the racers with the continue crashes from the blown sand etc. 2 years ago the series leader crashed out, this year it was Rapp breaking her face on a crash. Like at some point it's like, why continue to put the athletes in that venue.

(of course the athletes aren't going to push back publicly, they can't; their hands are tied as they want SL to offer races even if it's "shity" venues)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 30, 23 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
But you've gotta admit if the hurdles are the city and/or the permits; your pretty much not going to have a race there much longer. The writing seems to be on the wall. And I've thought the SL format in that parking venue only area while likely super cost effective just to be a "shitty" race experience for the racers with the continue crashes from the blown sand etc. 2 years ago the series leader crashed out, this year it was Rapp breaking her face on a crash. Like at some point it's like, why continue to put the athletes in that venue.

(of course the athletes aren't going to push back publicly, they can't; their hands are tied as they want SL to offer races even if it's "shity" venues)

Sadly this seems to be the likely outcome.
However, it will be a very bad look for Malibu to cxl an event that fundraises a few millions a year for the CHLA.
FWITW, I emailed the city council, see below.

Dear Malibu City Council Members,

I have participated in 8 Malibu Triathlon events in the past. My family and I often swim and bike near Zuma during the warmer weather. I write to express our desire to see this event continue going forward.

We believe that the Super League organization has been a good steward of this storied event and granting them permits going forward is the right decision. This is a truly iconic event in the triathlon community that benefits the CHLA immensely through its fundraising.

Another important factor is that we need to support short course triathlon events around this country - they are a great gateway to fitness for many at a time when obesity and general lack of fitness are sparking a massive nationwide health crisis.

We trust the council will consider the value this event brings and allows the Super League organization to continue putting it on going forward.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But aren’t the age group race and SLT Malibu two different stories, except for the fact that they have one organizer right now?

I do agree that the SLT course in the parking lot is utter shite; boring as well as unsafe. As an SLT fan I want a different venue. But if I was an amateur triathlete local to the LA area I would mourn a loss of the AG race.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply

Prev Next