Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How long has your GPS watch lasted? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I've never had a watch completely break on me, about every 2 years the altimeter/barometer breaks. While the GPS still tracks, you'd be surprised how many other things/data is dependent on that sensor that takes pressure and temperature. Garmin even made a change to not activate the temp sensor for pool swims because they know it wears it out faster.
Anyway, I had an FR935 go out about 2 years ago and now just last week my replacement FR945LTE now can't register altitude correctly. While all the online tools allow for elevation correction, it means I'm not getting the correct power measurements while running and even after the elevation correction it doesn't adjust my TSS to match.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going on about 8 years for my 920XT. I wear it 24/7, except for charging. Only problem I ever had was the bands would break after about 10 months. After replacing a few Garmin bands, I tried a cheap silicone knock-off from Amazon, I get several years out of those...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 920xt from June 2015 to October 2021.
I thought they were unbreakable and would last for more years, until their display randomly died, and it became impossible to turn them on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a FR305 from...let's check the wayback machine...Aug 2011. I blow the dust off it for grins a couple of times per year. Holds a charge, works great - even if it is a brick and low capability. Makes me smile. Then, an FR920XT. Not sure when I got that, but I used it as my regular training watch until December 2022. I plan to use it as my on-bike dashbord during an Oly Du on Sunday. Holds a charge, works great - but was replaced once (?) for the common altimeter failure. Now on an FR955. Yes, I'm cheap!
Quote Reply
Re: How long has your GPS watch lasted? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 920 has lasted forever. I broke lots of bands and tried many replacements. Usually get about a year off the cheap ones and 2 on the expensive ones (not garmin, those were more expensive and did not even seem to last as long as the original). Purchased a 945 a bit over two years ago and the face is delaminating, I am outside the warranty and the charge to fix is the same as buying a 945 online.... so I am going to use it until the face becomes unusable and maybe get a new one this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 920XT bought second hand in 2015. Still going strong as my main sports watch. Gone through quite a few straps though. That may be due to the quick release kit I use with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a 945 since 2019 and it started to delaminate 2 months ago. Thought about upgrading to a 965 because of the better display, but then got cold feet and took a refurb for $130 from Garmin.
Have a Vivoactive 3 from 2017 that I swim with, and it's still going strong.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my Garmin Vivoactive 3 in the summer of 2018. It was my first GPS watch and also my first Garmin. The software is glitchy and I don't actually like the watch and Garmin interface that much, but it's doing more-or-less fine at 5 years old. I wear it every day. Weirdly, I have a Casio W-96H, a generic "runner's watch" that I got decades ago, maybe centuries. I "retired" it when I got my first Fitbit. But the Casio, which is sitting on my desk right now, still has the original battery, still has a display showing the correct time and date, and still chirps each morning at the alarm time. Maybe Casios are like Twinkies.
Quote Reply
Re: How long has your GPS watch lasted? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Purchased my 920XT in November 2016, still going strong. Battery still lasts through slow Ironman races, Tremblant and Placid this past Summer.

That's pretty amazing. I had two 920XT's fail from 2015 - 2022, so each lasted about 3 years. I got about 5 years out of the predecessor before it basically wouldn't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
735XT battery issues. Replaced at a modest discount, which pissed me off as the battery gave up just after the year warranty expired. Replacement lasted until I decided to get a 955 Solar, as the battery life of the 735XT was an irritation.

The 955 was good. I live in sunny climes, but didn’t find the solar did much. I guess it would be more useful on a bike computer. The 965 with nice AMOLED display came out just after I bought it…

Was craving a watch I didn’t have to charge and a bigger watch on my wrist for daily wear. The 955 (and 735) are both light and slim. When the Epix Pro came out, I deliberated but pulled the trigger pretty quickly.

The Epix Pro is the first Garmin watch I love. I’ve got an Apple S7 stainless steel, but got tired of trying to manage the charging. I think it’s really horses for courses - your watch should last as long as you need it to nowadays, and the Epix Pro is the first one I won’t look enviously at the replacements when they come out. For a few years at least…
Quote Reply
Re: How long has your GPS watch lasted? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
The 955 was good. I live in sunny climes, but didn’t find the solar did much. I guess it would be more useful on a bike computer.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case based on DC Rainmaker's tests. The solar upcharge is a complete waste of money.
Quote Reply
Re: How long has your GPS watch lasted? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin 310 XT here - bought new at MEC in Calgary in, I think 2009.

I use it primarily as my bike computer.

It holds a full charge for about 10 hours.

I am thinking of getting something with a bigger screen and normalized power for better post-ride data collection.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: How long has your GPS watch lasted? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny this thread popped up on my page 1 today. I had to replace my Garmin 920xt early this week. It had been going strong since 2015 or 2016. Then it just stopped responding to anything this past Sunday. I went with a 265 as the replacement...hopefully that was the right call. It's primary use is a running watch, but I do use it for triathlons and occasionally a standalone swim or bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How long has your GPS watch lasted? [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much the same story. I still have 920 and 935 in a box. Both are working fine except the altimeter. I’m even thinking sometimes to find a charity or something that would want them for free.

Now running 965, but I still use 935 in the pool hoping the new altimeter lasts longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another 920xt user here. Just replaced the band last month. Other than that, works perfectly. Wish I could say the same for the Wahoo Element.

Quote | Reply
Another Fenix 5x wearer here. Bought it second-hand in 2018 and is still going strong. I have only had to replace the band once. Great watch. Wear it every day and even sleep with it. Has suffered multiple Ironmans and tris of every distance, ultra runs and road marathons and is still looking great. I can't bring myself to upgrade to those fancy AMOLED ones, although I want to really bad!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next