Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
Amazon and slow twitch classified (bought a lot of new mountain and road tires from classified - must be from hoarders who eventually realize they will never used all their tires).

Makes me think, you know what would be a great feature on ST? A dedicated tire thread in the Classified section, or something equivalent, that could act as a marketplace where ST’ers could list tires available for buy/sell/trade.

Tires inhabit a niche where I think having a dedicated spot for this market would make sense and probably drive a lot more activity.

Plus I can be a bit of a tire hoarder myself and could really use something like that! Both as a buyer and seller.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Backcountry
Bike Closet
Bike smiths via Ebay
Excel Sports
Tree Fort Bikes

The trend here is LBSs that sell via the internet, often below prices seen in my local LBS.

I tend to avoid Amazon as the prevalence of junk products and rumors of counterfeit products has exploded in recent years. Amazon has also been said to comingled product in warehouses from different vendors if it's the same product, which make it impossible to ensure your product is genuine, even if you order from a reputable "store".

^^^^^ Our shop has seen a few that are obviously counterfeit. I've gotten items from Amazon that are clearly counterfeit so I avoid buying anything from them if I can. I actually want brick and mortar to be around....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Backcountry
Bike Closet
Bike smiths via Ebay
Excel Sports
Tree Fort Bikes

The trend here is LBSs that sell via the internet, often below prices seen in my local LBS.

I tend to avoid Amazon as the prevalence of junk products and rumors of counterfeit products has exploded in recent years. Amazon has also been said to comingled product in warehouses from different vendors if it's the same product, which make it impossible to ensure your product is genuine, even if you order from a reputable "store".

I've bought a lot of stuff from Tree Fort Bikes. They are local to me so I can choose to pick up in person or have it shipped. Their prices on most stuff is really good.

They are also the only shop around that I have allowed to work on my mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
biketiresdirect 90% of the time..

This.

Occasional LBS purchase if I need something right away.

Occasional direct-from-manufacturer purchase like the new Goodyear models that don't yet appear to go through retail channels.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike Tires Direct
Amazon
LBS (for the last two sets actually)
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazon.

Usually when I need tires, it is not planned. And I do not have the easy convenience of going to a nearby LBS. So, 2-day Prime is my huckleberry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Merlin Cycles, for the last few I've bought.
- Sigma Sports also in the past couple of years too.

I don't trust amazon with stuff my life depends on, due to counterfeits.

3 or 4 years ago and for the previous 10 years before that it would almost always have been Wiggle / CRC. But they just seem to have gone to shit in the past couple of years, mainly flogging tat and out of date / obsolete shiiite. Nothing good, and nothing in the right size, in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most recent purchase of tires was from Trisports. The daily emails work - at least when they have a sale on something i need or want.

i used to use probikekit for tires, but haven't bought anything from them for a while.

Also, wonder how tubeless is impacting tire sales. i used to have a little stock of tires and would swap them every now and then just to try something different. i don't do that with my two tubeless set ups - just too much hassle.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike Tires Direct. Occasionally Excel if they don’t have what I’m looking for
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
I just bought GP5000s on Amazon for around 30% less than my local shop.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excel sports do some great deals and are very up front about any feedback they get from riders.

My team recently got on a team deal with them and the discounts on tires are far better than anything available on the Internet.

I've bought mtb tires occasionally on eBay just to try out a different tread, but results have been very mixed. Last MTb tires I tried were schwalbe and the tubeless bead split on both after inflation. I think someone got hold of a bad batch and sold them off. Schwalbe are terrible for quality control as well. They either fail quickly or last forever in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
direct from brand: https://tannusamerica.com/ If i where to buy air tires then from amazon. Thats basically where I get all bike parts now... used to support local shops but thanks to supply chain crisis of recent they told me to start buying online. Even starting to do more work myself
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike Tires Direct. although i did just order the new 38mm Challenge Grifo CX tire directly from Challenge since you cant get it anywhere else currently
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE do you buy your bike tires? (Now that I know WHAT you buy.) [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
biketiresdirect 90% of the time..

same here and the other 10% is the LBS if I need them now for some reason

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply

Prev Next