Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Saucony users: What are you running in for training? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I did move from Hoka to Saucony. I was chewing through Rincon 3s, at 200 miles, the foam would be dead and the harder rubber tread was completely worn down. Running in Tucson with a mix of gravel/dirt and pavement. mid foot striker with decent running mechanics.

2. Saucony speed 3. The rubber tread on the bottom has way better durability and I have just crossed 300 miles on the first pair. The foam and nylon plate seem to be the sweet spot for just about every type of run.
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony users: What are you running in for training? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. No but I used to use hokas and altra in my rotation for long runs and 140.6 runs. I’ve always had kinvara as part of my shoe rotation since the 1st gen and was my race shoe for everything 13.1 or shorter
2. For last 2 years, my shoe rotation is endorphin speed and shift (have pro too but still playing with it, don’t like how they feel but testing a bit faster for me when doing faster and shorter runs), kinvara and ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have tried hokas. From bondi to clifton ro rincon. Not for me, too much shoe and the rincon felt a bit 'dead'.

log the slow miles in the shift. Love it. Soft enough without sponge, but not a brick to the calves like the pro 1.
Race in endorphin pro 3 on occasion but usually next % for the fast stuff. Same for the one hard/fast run per week.
Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Aug 23, 23 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No, i have been using Saucony since 2013 (kinvara). i have a couple of hokas (for trail) that i like. the ones i had for the road i was never happy with (rincon and mach)

2. what are you running in? saucony kinvara 11 and 14 (for short and speed sessions)
Saucony endorphin speed 2 for longer rund with tempo intervals and 3 for racing.

for trail saucony peregrine (but not too happy about them)

i also have the fastwitch (ideally for the track), but too heavy at the moment (IMHO).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have never been able to get Hoka's to work for me.
Become a massive Saucony fan.
Normally train in the Speed. The 2 and 3 are great shoes. I have probably 8 pairs of them here at home.
I have also loved the Kinvara's over the years but no longer do any exercise in them.
Currently not running because of a disc prolapse but when I am allowed to run again I will be sticking with the Speed's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

1. did you move from HOKA to saucony?
2. what are you running in?

1. No. Besides balking at the price, Hoka never seem to fit my foot.

2. Endorphin Trail (I do all my zone 1/2 and long runs on trails around my house)
Endorphin Shift 1/2/3 (Off the bike runs and speed work)
Endorphin pro (race day)

The biggest reason I switched, besides fit, is that you can always find these shoes on sale if you are willing to run in last years model. Marshall’s, Serra Trading Post, and Dick’s Clearance usually has one of the these models for $50-$80 which is what I’m willing to pay for a consumable item.

Strava
Last edited by: Jkgoff: Aug 24, 23 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony users: What are you running in for training? [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. No, never liked the Hokas.

2. I have the Endorphin Speeds in my rotation. One of the best shoes ever designed in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the biggest jump in our run preference poll benefits saucony. fewer than 3 years ago when we asked what you preferred for TRAINING you said answered, and then last week you answered again:

2020: HOKA: 26% Saucony: 12%
2023: HOKA: 23% Saucony: 21%

again, this is for training. one might guess it's all the endorphine line, but i note that the kinvara (for one) is a completely different shoe. it was a fairly low-to-the-ground shoe back in its heyday, from 2007 to 2011, but now it's tall and cushy. it's also a full 2oz heavier. it's still light at 9.5oz, but it's a cushy spring-return shoe now.

I have hokas but always ran in Saucony

I run exclusively in endorphin pro 2. Training and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride for training. Endorphin pro for racing.

Asics for 30 years but forced to changed when they changed their Nimbus. Tried Brooks. Tried Hoka (didn't like the rocker effect).

Settled on Saucony Ride and have been pleased with them for the last 4-5 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the biggest jump in our run preference poll benefits saucony. fewer than 3 years ago when we asked what you preferred for TRAINING you said answered, and then last week you answered again:

2020: HOKA: 26% Saucony: 12%
2023: HOKA: 23% Saucony: 21%

again, this is for training. one might guess it's all the endorphine line, but i note that the kinvara (for one) is a completely different shoe. it was a fairly low-to-the-ground shoe back in its heyday, from 2007 to 2011, but now it's tall and cushy. it's also a full 2oz heavier. it's still light at 9.5oz, but it's a cushy spring-return shoe now.

1. yes, was training in the Cliftons for a couple years - 6s and 7s, maybe an 8 series)
2. first switched to the Endorphine Shift for training (and Endorphin Pro for racing) - liked Shift but didn't love it, then picked up the Speed for training and am really digging it, other than the too-tall heel tab which gave me blisters for a while. Some years back I tried the Kinvara when it was still fairly flat, will have to give it a shot if it's a little taller now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I came from Asics. However I did try the Hoka Rincon when Saucony change the upper on the Kinvara 12 (?) and it was not forgiving / too narrow.

Train 100% in Kinvara's for 7 or 8 years now. Low drop is what I was concerned with for trainers. As others have commented I did not notice the increase in stack as the shoes are firm and stable. The low drop, I feel has helped keep my prior plantar issues at bay. Use Pereguine for trails and race in Next%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

No. I mentioned in the ASICS thread that I tried Hoka, didn't like them, and found Saucony's foams to be much better.

Lately, I use the Triumph as my daily trainer / long run shoe and really like them. I have narrow feet and the Triumph runs narrow, so it's a perfect fit.

I've used the Endorphin Speed 2 and Pro 2s, both of which I really liked. I still use a pair of Pro 2s as my speed day shoe, but also recently picked up a pair of ASICS Magic Speed 2s on sale to eventually replace the Pro 2s. I thought about buying the Speed 3s as my new speed day shoe, but they feel much bigger and bulkier than the Speed 2s. And from what I've read, they seem to be more like daily trainers.

I also used the Endorphin Shift 3s and don't like them as much; they use PWRUN foam, which I find to firm compared to the PWRUN PB in the Speed/Pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No. I have not bought Hoka since the original Mafate was discontinued. That was my favorite shoe ever. Since then I have no use for Hoka. Mosty try to score Altra Olympus on sale.
2. When I bought a number of Endorphin Pro shoes on sale, I decided to see if I liked them for an everyday shoe. I race in them, which is fine, but I've got about 49 hours of regular training in my second pair. I love starting out my run feeling springy and fast. But they are not soft and I love soft, so I'm about to go looking for a soft shoe again.
I tried the Novablast and love the cushion but did not like the heel to toe disparity. Again, the orginal Hokas at 41/44 stack height were the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. did you move from HOKA to saucony? NO
2. what are you running in? Endorphin Shift + Progrid Guide 15 (both part of multi shoe training rotation which includes Brooks, Asics and NB).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) no. For some reason Hoka shoes always blister me. I can’t put my finger on it as to why and it’s usually my pinky toe.

2) I use a mix of Endorphin Speeds, Nimbus 25, and Superblast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved from Brooks Glycerins to Saucony last summer. I like the Endorphin Speeds. Right now because it rains all the time, I am loving my Endorphin Speed Runshield shoes. Same shoe with more rain resistant shell. Great for early season in Vermont too with all the mud.

I purchased a pair of the Endorphin Pros and wore them in a 70.3 this summer. I ended up with a really bad blood blister in my right big toe. I want to give them another chance. It was fun running in them. Don't really think they made me faster compared to the Speeds. But did notice a difference in how they felt running.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No, I came from Mizuno.

2. Most mileage done in Tempus. Also race in these, as I haven’t been brave enough to try Speed/Pro/other plates shoe due to long-term Achilles and calf niggles. Easy trail runs done in ASICS Trabuco.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No. I have yet to find a Hoka that my feet like.
2. Endorphin Shifts and Kinvara 13s. I use my Endorphin Speed 3s for 5Ks, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never worn Hoka and now run in endorphin shift 2 and Axons.
The like the Axons every bit as much actually. Simple and comfortable and reasonably priced

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Saucony users: What are you running in for training? [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IAGLIYDW wrote:
The like the Axons every bit as much actually. Simple and comfortable and reasonably priced

I picked up a pair of Axon 2 shoes recently - significantly discounted (and not super expensive, regularly). They look great, but I have not tried them, so good to know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Sorta. But I’ve always rotated a few different shoes. I ran in Cliftons for a few years, then the third or fourth iteration of them felt really clunky so I stopped. Then the endorphin shift filled that role. I like combining a lighter/faster shoe with a more comfortable one, and the first endorphin speed is one of my favorite shoes I’ve ever run in. The second version felt different, so did the second version of the shift. So I didn’t keep running in them.

2. Currently running in asics novablasts as the clifton/shift version, and a couple pairs of older endorphin pro shoes I bought when they went past season as the lighter version.

But I can’t claim any particular rigor in examining drop, cushion, etc. I just run in what feels good. Sometimes those shoes feel good for 400 miles and I buy several pairs before they come out with the next generation and I hate it. Sometimes they feel good in the store and I hate them after 50 miles and they become knock around sneakers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next