Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Higher HR after surgery/rest
Quote | Reply
Hive mind,

I got wisdom tooth extraction surgery last Friday. Put under general anesthesia cuz I'm a wimp. Procedure went fine, normal pain and swelling. Took OTC painkillers and some codeine for a couple days. Ended up taking a total of four days off training, just felt like crap and slept a lot. More than I was hoping to take off, but it is what it is.

Back on the bike yesterday for some sub-threshold work and my HR is a solid 15 BPM higher than it was doing the same workout a week or so ago. I completed the workout fine, it was just harder than it should have been and my HR was noticeably elevated.

I know partly I'm probably overthinking this - I had a surgery and clearly am still recovering. But has anyone else experienced something similar? Any idea how long it takes to get back to normal? I can't imagine I lost 15 BPM work of fitness in four days (at least I hope not). Just curious for anecdotes or more scientific explanations.
Quote Reply
Re: Higher HR after surgery/rest [mermlundry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s called cardiac drift - HR is noticeably higher than usual for the first 2-3 days back in training after taking a short break. It’s totally normal and expected, and your HR should be back to baseline shortly. For me the second day back in training it is much closer to normal, and by day 3 or 4 it is usually totally back to normal.
Last edited by: Greg17815: Aug 16, 23 10:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfectly normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds perfectly normal to me. Find that fitness can go pretty quickly when it take several good weeks in a row to find some marginal gains. You'll be back to normal pretty soon.
Quote Reply