Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watts, weight, and speed
Quote | Reply
At Ironman Lake Placid this year I had my slowest bike split ever - 6:40 minutes, my best was around 5:40 at Tremblant. Last year I biked 6:20 at Placid on badly cramped legs on the super hot day it was so I expected to go at least that fast this year though I likely dialed back my effort out of cramp fear and the hopes of a good run. It looks like my average watts were 155 and my speed was around 16.5 according to Garmin. I’m on a pretty heavy bike and a different set up from last year but I’m trying to convince myself that I just went too soft on the bike effort and it’s not my equipment. I’m not super into data and numbers but does my watts to speed to time sound ballpark?
Quote Reply
Re: Watts, weight, and speed [Grendal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think at 155w one can easily average 19 m/h on a course which can even be hilly. Seems you have a lot of potential as to aerodynamics.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Aug 12, 23 3:02
Quote Reply
Re: Watts, weight, and speed [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it's 16.5mph and not km/h.

In any case, there's too little data provided to say anything. Maybe share pictures?
What I would also do is look at other people who shared their data (including weight, eg https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...bike_split_P7088997/, possibly also on strava) and compare.
Or use a calculator like bestbikesplit, mywindsock or similar. (probably do both and get a feel for where you're at)

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Re: Watts, weight, and speed [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcbesse wrote:
I guess it's 16.5mph and not km/h.

Yes I know I corrected my post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I think at 155w one can easily average 19 m/h on a course which can even be hilly. Seems you have a lot of potential as to aerodynamics.

What sort of CDA for that please?
Quote Reply
Re: Watts, weight, and speed [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Cda data unfortunately, I was fit to the bike but I’m not entirely sure I trust the fitter. I guess I ultimately don’t have enough data to go off of other than knowing I was significantly slower this race compared to others. It seems like it’s feasible that even at that wattage I could/should be putting out more speed for the effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

If you only weight 10 stone*

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was asking long trousers what cda to easily go 19 MPH on 153 watts at a course like Lake Placid

I just don’t see it happening without drafting

BUT would be very happy to be proved wrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if nothing else, and lacking better data, it at least seems like I’m somewhat in the ballpark of watts to speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I was asking long trousers what cda to easily go 19 MPH on 153 watts at a course like Lake Placid

Do not know what cda I have but should be pretty good.
Last year I did IM Austria with average power 141W in 18 m/h (6 h 15 minutes).
Also last year I did IM Hawaii with average power 145W in 18 m/h (6 h 14 minutes).
Those IMs are not flat. I do not know Lake Placid though. Maybe that's tougher than Austria or Hawaii.

To compare nearer to 155W: two weeks ago I did my standard training course (50 minutes, flat, but with some sharp curves) with average power 158W in 20.5 m/h.

I weigh 86 kg.

As the poster in post #3 mentioned: there are enough statistics available.

By the way: the OP mentioned in post #1 Lake Placid in 6:20. With "Garmin speed" 16.5 m/h. Acc. to my calculations (6:20 for 180 km) that was 17.7 m/h though.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Aug 12, 23 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grendal wrote:
At Ironman Lake Placid this year I had my slowest bike split ever - 6:40 minutes, my best was around 5:40 at Tremblant. Last year I biked 6:20 at Placid on badly cramped legs on the super hot day it was so I expected to go at least that fast this year though I likely dialed back my effort out of cramp fear and the hopes of a good run. It looks like my average watts were 155 and my speed was around 16.5 according to Garmin. I’m on a pretty heavy bike and a different set up from last year but I’m trying to convince myself that I just went too soft on the bike effort and it’s not my equipment. I’m not super into data and numbers but does my watts to speed to time sound ballpark?

This is Lake Placid course calculator
May be of help to you

http://bpc-oldsite.breakthroughperformancecoaching.com/.../ironman-lake-placid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Do not know what cda I have but should be pretty good.
Last year I did IM Austria with average power 141W in 18 m/h (6 h 15 minutes).
Also last year I did IM Hawaii with average power 145W in 18 m/h (6 h 14 minutes).
Those IMs are not flat. I do not know Lake Placid though. Maybe that's tougher than Austria or Hawaii.

To compare nearer to 155W: two weeks ago I did my standard training course (50 minutes, flat, but with some sharp curves) with average power 158W in 20.5 m/h.

I weigh 86 kg.

As the poster in post #3 mentioned: there are enough statistics available.

By the way: the OP mentioned in post #1 Lake Placid in 6:20. With "Garmin speed" 16.5 m/h. Acc. to my calculations (6:20 for 180 km) that was 17.7 m/h though.

Thank you for the details much appreciated
Quote Reply