Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
GDPR protections can't be waived -- e.g., a user can always withdraw consent, and you must comply with their request to be forgotten.

I've asked around about this, and the answer always seems to come back to GDPR (or just the blanket label of "data privacy" generally).
So how come Pro start lists can be (are) published ahead of the race? Is their 'privacy' not important? Or does their Ironman licence specifically require that they waive that protection?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro sport = public figure = news = different standard than your customers' data.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Or one set of lawyers has a different opinion than another set of lawyers.

Or some people are saying "we've always done it this way."

I'm merely relaying what's been given to me on background after asking a series of questions about start lists, customer info, etc. Take it for what you will.

Maybe a follow-up question to IM as to why Challenge can do it but IM can't (won't)?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup ask them why if challenge is willing to risk a lawsuit why aren’t they. I’m sure IM’s lawyers will be swayed by the ole I was just followed the crowd defense. I hear it works about as often as Sex Panther.

The larger the organization the bigger the target, very little chance someone is going after joe bob local race organizer for a GDPR violation unless it was wildly egregious. But that risk goes up exponentially when you are the biggest player in the market that generates huge revenue annually. Challenge is a large player but I suspect they are a little less risk averse based on their structure (mostly franchise) and the lower volume of hate spewed towards them in comparison to IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excuse me, did you just suggest that everybody in European triathlon except IM’s subsidiaries and licensees violates EU data protection laws, and that data protection authorities direct their enforcement efforts (or lack thereof) based on the amount of “hate spewed” towards the given race organization? 😂

And that UTMB, which is supposedly owned by IM, has a similarly lax attitude towards said laws? https://wildstrubel.utmb.world/...s/runners/start-list

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Nov 9, 23 21:51
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ETU/World Triathlon doesn't seem to have a problem publishing start lists before the race and same for plenty of other competitions.

Side note: world triathlon needs to be highlighted for having published start and results lists that area easy to access and providing a profile that users can edit. Ironman could totally do something similar or better.

I also just randomly googled what's the next big marathon in Europe and the Athens marathon seems to be publishing a start list with some 20k people on it.

I accept that the details of privacy and consent can get complex but I also do get a sense that sometimes GDPR and 'data privacy' gets thrown in as an excuse for not wanting to provide a service.

Even the question of data requests for deleting a user's data are really an excuse here. A big company like Ironman should be able to set up a way for the user to access and self delete the data. In fact, the issue of data deletion requests for Ironman doesn't go away with the data not being published. (Side note: data deletion and right to be forgotten aren't the same thing)
Besides, privacy focus can be a feature nowadays. There's plenty of companies and services that attract users by providing better privacy tools.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Nov 10, 23 0:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next