Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman athlete list absent?
Quote | Reply
Why is Ironman not publishing athlete lists as of late until the last minute? I want to know far in advance of whom is in my AG.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [GWcanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t know the answer to your question but they removed it when they updated all the fall race Kona slot allocation a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe embarrassed about the numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just when you think Ironman can't make races less about racing and more about participating, they find a way.

How amazing would it be to have a pre-race roster that should AWA rankings (or some other details) on people broken down by age group prior to the race? The prerace hype now is non-existent compared to 6-7 years ago. You can't do much with the app and the app isn't loaded until the day before the race if you're lucky.

First they kill off obstri, and now they've rendered my IMPDF2XLS python script useless. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There has been some speculation that they may have violated European GDPR privacy laws. Easiest to just not publish them rather than publish them for only non-European locations.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [FlannyOH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That level of data would suit me fine. No point in having a database with all that info and not use it…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GWcanrun wrote:
That level of data would suit me fine. No point in having a database with all that info and not use it…
you must be at the pointy end of the race, but i'm still curious why you want to know who you are racing. aren't you just s/b/r-ing as fast as you can?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you read between the lines of the obstri thread, it was pretty clear IM was wrestling with whether start lists might be considered PII and ultimately a GDPR concern.

Whether or not it was a violation of GDPR is a story for the EU-based lawyers of the forum, but having played in that space enough here with our cookie software, I can say it's close enough to the lines I'm familiar with that it'd keep me up at night.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t say pointy end,, I would say about 5 from pointy end trying to see if I have a chance to get a roll down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
GWcanrun wrote:
you must be at the pointy end of the race, but i'm still curious why you want to know who you are racing. aren't you just s/b/r-ing as fast as you can?

I'd love that idea. Obviously I'm trying to go as fast as I can. But it would be really cool to see who is racing with some stats like where they place on average, number of races, number of worlds slots, average run, average bike, etc. So much potential.

Just have a check box next to your name that you can uncheck to remove that data from logged in participa t view.

One of thr things that keeps people excited about triathlon is pouring over those numbers. People I've "raced" but never met in my life follow me on strava presumably because they want to see some numbers of a peer.

Ironman is missing a golden opportunity with the data to keep their customers engaged.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does a start list have anymore info than a results list? I can’t imagine it being a problem if you just publish name, nationality and age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of pointy end. Nerdling enough that I would like to consider how much energy or time to put into my disciplines if the race I selected had a pile AG former pro or very high quality competitors (AWA). If I stood a chance of podium/qualification etc I’d like to know who I’m up against. If I’m suited for a certain course bike or run, I may slant my training to favour one over the other. I’ve done races where a mediocre bike will let me have a great run and vice versa. Knowing your competition can give you a leg up. I will look up my competitors on Sportstats or review certain races to see where or who is at the top of an AG. An immediate example of this data mining is Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way that I've had this explained to me (by others) is that a start list is really a customer list, whereas results are more akin to a public record of an event that took place. They might contain similar information, but *how* they are interpreted is part of the problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
Does a start list have anymore info than a results list? I can’t imagine it being a problem if you just publish name, nationality and age group.
Start lists have information on the future which might be exploited for nefarious purposes. Results don't. I can see the reason for reticence, but it's a stretch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have mont tremblant as well ?? thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is a European privacy issue, then why do they post the Nice and Finland starter lists for world champs? They had IM California starter list up for about one or two weeks and then they pulled it. It seems like a conscious effort and not related to any Euro privacy rules. I agree with others who said that this is a negative. I want to know who I am going to be seeing and racing at events. Without it, I have no idea who is in the race as it is impossible to sort names in the tracer the day before a race because they don't split them out by age group. Disappointing to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its seems they are using the POPi Act as an excuse.
So what happens once you have done completing the race, delete the race list. Really!
Contractidictory dont you think. People like to know who they are racing against.
Healthy Competition.
A person is not identifiable by a name, unless you know that person personally.

"If a Data Subject is not identifiable, the POPI Act does not apply – a name or photo only, for example, is not enough to identify someone. A Responsible Party will need consent to use the special personal information of a Data Subject (this includes photos). You do not, however, need consent if the information has been made deliberately public by the Data Subject."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:

bad men can read the start list and steal your furniture while you're at race site; result list would not be suitable for this purpose
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Island wrote:

bad men can read the start list and steal your furniture while you're at race site; result list would not be suitable for this purpose

Could see a situation where someone might not want an abusive ex or a stalker to know where they will be. Results afterwards are not giving your future location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe some of their high school staff are still figuring out the regulatory requirements.
The July 7th 2024 Challenge Roth race has all the Current race entries and can be searched on age group and country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
If you read between the lines of the obstri thread, it was pretty clear IM was wrestling with whether start lists might be considered PII and ultimately a GDPR concern.

According to some of the posters there, not according to Ironman. For some reason organizations other than Ironman (+its licensees) have no qualms publishing start lists here in the EU.

Quote:
Whether or not it was a violation of GDPR is a story for the EU-based lawyers of the forum, but having played in that space enough here with our cookie software, I can say it's close enough to the lines I'm familiar with that it'd keep me up at night.

I feel you, but when I sign up for a race, I sign a bunch of waivers/permissions/releases that take care of this stuff. Sometimes there's even an option to remain anonymous. Seems a lot easier than if you have to do GDPR stuff per every EU-based person who loads your website in their browser.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Nov 9, 23 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GDPR protections can't be waived -- e.g., a user can always withdraw consent, and you must comply with their request to be forgotten.

I've asked around about this, and the answer always seems to come back to GDPR (or just the blanket label of "data privacy" generally).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I've asked around about this, and the answer always seems to come back to GDPR (or just the blanket label of "data privacy" generally).

If the question you asked is "why doesn't Ironman publish start lists", you've been BSed.

Unless there's some mysterious difference between the public law situation of a race organization in the EU that uses an Ironman license and a race organization in the EU that uses a Challenge Family license (or another license, or no outside brand at all).

And unless there's some mysterious difference between the public law situation of an organizer of an international triathlon in the U.S. and the organizer of an international marathon in the U.S.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Nov 9, 23 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman athlete list absent? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or one set of lawyers has a different opinion than another set of lawyers.

Or some people are saying "we've always done it this way."

I'm merely relaying what's been given to me on background after asking a series of questions about start lists, customer info, etc. Take it for what you will.

Quote Reply

Prev Next