Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 303 front/404 rear??????? [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed 3 rear?? Hed has some slightly out of true for 360-410 bucks?????

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: 303 front/404 rear??????? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doc-Are these available directly from Hed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Hedcycling.com. (I think) Click on closeouts. The toll free number is there.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: 303 front/404 rear??????? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Dan Rishworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan:

I bought a pair of the 404s during your sale - they are really sweet. How can you afford to sell them for so cheap when they're listed for $1350 US ? Even when you don't have them on sale they're pretty reasonable with the AC hubs.

Deke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IMLP 4 times, I use a 404 rear, and a velomax front. I just got 303 and really like them for fast road rides. After my research and close examination I do believe that zipp has by far the best wheels. Personally if I had a disc I would use it at LP.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deke,

I'm glad you like your wheels, but I gotta keep some secrets!

We are always looking for ways to make good products affordable for Canadian customers, plus when we have a stack of carbon wheels and a foot of snow on the ground... let's just say I become a motivated seller.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Rob... I actually did do Lake Placid in 2001 with a 6:45 bike split and a 13:00.32 IM. This year I am shooting for sub 12. I already have an expensive bike, can afford wheels and was looking to buy the best set to put the chances on my side to accomplish that goal. I have to agree with you on the descending part, I now have a "descending" coach that will take me out every thursday morning and signed up for a training camp at lake placid. You bet I am planning on descending that hill multiples times, I'll have someone drive me up if I have to...I agree with the fact that cutting time off those hills is the way to go. Quick question... I just came back from a training camp this past week-end and someone told me that the wheels I have NOW are similar to the 303's... I have the velocity spartatus wheels. Any opinion on that comment? Also, I haven't bought the 303's yet because I am still confused and also not 100% certain I want tubulars. I am however making progress in my decision, thanks to you guys:)
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Dan Rishworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan:

You need to move out my way - there's about that much liquid water, but you're still in Canada and you can ride in it all winter.

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you!

It sounds like you've got the chedder to spare, and you've taken the best step to ensure bike-handleing success- The only thing now is to get the wheel!

I say "wheel" singular because if I were you, I'd keep that Velocity, make sure it's nice and true before heading to the race (get it done about 3 weeks before), and then buy a HED3, which I think some of the other people commented on. Since you have the money, don't buy one of the blemished or slightly out of true ones- get a good one.

Trust me on this one, you can't go wrong with a HED3 rear. The wheel is strong, super stable, and proven. It's also versatile in every race situation...no one can say it's not good for hills, wind, flats, etc etc...and the 3 spoke is more aero than multi-spoke, and since time is a factor...

...and besides, it looks cooler!

Good luck!

Rob

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn - everyone wants an expert. Okay....(Chip steps up onto soap box)

So...at 5'4" and light, the last think that a person would want is a deep aero front wheel on the keene hill. it is common that smaller people will not be as comfortable at high speeds on a decent, women also (as they seem to have more common sense than men have). I think that you are looking into the right direction with the 303's, you just cant go wrong with Zipp. I would NOT ride a disk if you are not comfortable with fast decents as the disk WILL steer you and WILL require a higher level of cycling skill and comfort in odd situations (I was once blown over at 30+ mph on 3 Mile bridge in Pensacola Florida...with a disk wheel on). The rotational mass is also quite important with a smaller lighter rider. You just dont have the mass and weight to counter the gyroscopic action of the wheel spinning at high speeds, and additionally as you are shorter - you dont have the leverage of your weight being 4 feet higher than the center of rotation of the wheel.

So, what I would suggest for you???? Hmmmm....I think that with your weight and size a Nimble Fly would be a great front wheel...maybe a 303 rear, or another Fly. You will have light, a low rotational mass at the rim, more supple (as a lighter rider a stiff wheel for me is a bone jarring ride for you). Or just stick with the 303's. I would not even go to 404's if I were you.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Velocity Spartacus is 30 mm deep and the Zipp 303 is 38 mm deep. The Zipp is also a bit lighter.

The negatives to the Zipps is that the deeper rim will be more prone to getting blown around and that you will need special brake pads if you buy the tubulars, especially in the rain.

I'm going to guess that you are probably looking at a time savings of about 5 minutes with the 303's versus the Velocities. The question you have to ask yourself is whether those 5 minutes are worth ~$1,000 to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you will need special brake pads if you buy the tubulars, especially in the rain.
I ride Record pads every day - no issues. Zipp claims that you can use any pads.

Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's ironic that you preach endlessly about Campy stuff which is at best marginally better than Dura-Ace, and then go out and use standard brake pads on Zipp rims and claim that it has no issues. Sure, you can use regular brake pads with Zipp carbon rims (I did) but the performance sucks. And as soon as the rims get wet you lose all modulation.

The best solution I have found is Kool Stop salmon pads. They wear pretty fast, but they are the only brake pad I have found that works well on both aluminum rims and wet carbon fiber.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's ironic that you preach endlessly about Campy stuff which is at best marginally better than Dura-Ace, and then go out and use standard brake pads on Zipp rims and claim that it has no issues. Sure, you can use regular brake pads with Zipp carbon rims (I did) but the performance sucks. And as soon as the rims get wet you lose all modulation.

The best solution I have found is Kool Stop salmon pads. They wear pretty fast, but they are the only brake pad I have found that works well on both aluminum rims and wet carbon fiber.
When it is raining I use the Campy Cork pads (IMLP 2002)...only when it is raining and I must ride the Zipps. Most of the time if weather is an issue I mount up the Shamals. I would hate to have to trade out my pads every time I trade out wheels (and I do that often just cause I am fruity).

Quote Reply

Prev Next