Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racing wheels for IM LP
Quote | Reply
I want to buy racing wheels and would like opinions on what I should get to race IM LP. I 5'4 , 125 and not that comfortable descending. I was thinking about the zipps 404.. Any comments?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, now if you were a local gal I could lend you that very set up (or maybe swap out the rear for any number of combinations including a Renn 575) to try out and see if it would work for you. Sadly I live in the great white north. Guess the only way to use them would be if I showed up a LP to volunteer again this year. Which I may end up doing. 404s are a very good choice btw, but at 5'4" and only 125 you might want to opt for either the 303s or maybe the Nimble Flys or something of the like. You would probably benefit more from the lower weight on the LP hills than you would from the aero of the 404s. But that's just my 2cents
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only 125!!! I am trying to get down to 118:) But regarding the 303's... Why would those be better? I feel like I need stability since descending is a fear that I am trying to overcome. I appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think his reasoning with the 303s is because they are a 38mm rim instead of the 58mm that comes with the 404s. Since you are so light, you may have handling problems with the deeper section rims. I got a pair of 303s (2002 close out models) from Tri Zone for $650. There are great deals out there, you just have to snoop around. There is a store based in Canada that has 404s with American Classic hubs that I think I saw for less than $900.
----->Trent
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [trent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Trent said. I'm not an expert so taking my word for anything might be hazzardous to your health...but my take is this. If rotational weight (or lack thereof) is one of the key considerations for a wheel purchase..the 303 beats the 404 by ever so slight of a margin..the hills of Lake Placid can wear down even the best cyclist..so cutting down on rotating weight would be a good thing. That said if downhill stability is a concern for you then I would imagine that extra bit of weight at the rim would be beneficial...the gyroscopic effect would tend to keep your bike upright a bit better (at least I think it would). If you recall last years event it was both windy (pretty sure being in all those valleys LP is windy most of the time) and rainy...wind and that extra wide rim surface..you being a light rider...I dunno..a give and take scenario here. My terribly unprofessional assessment is still sticking with my initial take and going with the 303s or something equally shallow. One thing you don't want to do is be afraid of downhills. Not only are they a perfect chance to rest but they are also free speed. Any tension or apprehension you feel will translate over the course of 112 miles..you get off the bike stiff as a board and it won't matter what wheels you road on. Between now and then maybe find some local roadies to give you tips on descending (better to get it in person than to read about it somewhere..easier to see what they mean when you can actually see it) and work at gradually doing longer and/or steeper hills. Once you get confident in doing so they will become a rush and a wicked secret weapon. A sad but true fact in the world of cycling..there are two kinds of riders: those that have crashed and those that are going to crash. You'd be surprised how many crashes aren't all that bad and you can get up and continue on despite them (having to dole out the fees they charge for an IM is impetus enough for me to get back on..unless I broke something..a bone maybe). Again, my opinion is just that..maybe some of the other board veterans can throw their hat into the ring here...anyone care to agree or disagree with me? Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is a store based in Canada that has 404s with American Classic hubs that I think I saw for less than $900
endurosport in toronto.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what it is...I saw them online last week and couldn't remember the web site. I may pick up a pair of 404s from them in the not too distant future.
----->Trent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So basically, I should start searching the 303's right? They probably are cheaper than the 404's...The downhills... I worked all last year on that, I am serious, I was panicking so bad, sometimes I would be going 4mph with one foot unclipped... Now I am more going like 20 mph but have ways to go. It is fear and it kills me on group rides. I did that, got a roadie to come with me once week, and it helped a lot. I did LP 3 years ago, and I was petrified. I am the only one around that loves going uphill a lot more than down:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>So basically, I should start searching the 303's right? They probably are cheaper than the 404's<<

Actually, I think the two sets are pretty close in price for a pair.

>>I am the only one around that loves going uphill a lot more than down:)<<

I'm certainly not with you on that one. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not get an aero wheel that is also super light like the Reynolds Stratus or if you've got a ton of cash burning a hole in your pocket, the Reynolds Stratus Ultralight. These wheels will last forever, they are light (1240g or 1140g for the UL), and they are aero (44mm dish), and they look cool. The only high end wheel that's as strong as the Reynolds are the Mavics.

I've got a pair of these wheels and they rock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure wish some of the experts would have added their two cents in here. I'd hate for you to go out and make a purchase of this magnitude only to find out the 404s would have been the better choice. That said, I made my points and I'm sticking with them. Someone else mentioned the Stratus DV and I would make a comment but I've never used, nor know anyone who has used, them. So I can't judge fairly. I know that Zipp has been around forever (some will argue to a degree so has the Stratus..again..never been there never done that) and they stake their claim as being one of the (if not THE) best makers of wheels there is. They have top notch customer service and quality that is second to none (again argueable). Maybe it might not be a bad idea to give them a call and see what they think 1 800 447-8372. If anyone could make the right recommendation on the best choice it would be them. Don't even make reference to this board..just tell them what you want them for and let them do all the talking. Leaves less room for personal bias. And hey, when they tell you...please come back on here and let ME know what they say.

I bought a set of 404s..fully equipped and shipped for under $700 US (included a set of tires, long valve tubes/plus three extra, ti skewers, and a 12-25 DA cassette) so there are deals to be had out there.

Glad to hear you were/are able to get some downhill training in. I won't say the fear goes away..fear is a healthy thing..call it a healthy respect for gravity..but as you become more confident you can walk the edge a little closer, go faster, and fear it less. As your increase in speed has shown. It's all about control. I feel a bit mystical here..but become part of the bike and when it works there is no other feeling. Are you the only one who likes going uphill more than going downhill?? Good heavens I hope so. Though I would say Joseba Beloki might be in your camp now too.

Give the group at Zipp a call, give them the details, see what they say then go wheel hunting. Failing that...make a side vacation up here to Canada and we'll go for a spin around our escarptment (you may have seen some of it during the recent World Cycling Champs...and the recent time trial pics of the pros) and I'll lend you my 404s for the day. Might even be able to convince Dan Rishworth to rent out a pair of 303s for comparissons sake too. Just don't take my word as the final one..ask the experts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks a lot. I am going to a training camp this week but when I come back, I will give Zipp a call. Good idea. I have no experience with buying stuff for my bike, always relied on the ex boyfriend to help out. Might as well find out myself right? Thanks for offering to borrow your wheels:) And from what the people around here tell me, I should go tubulars right? A little scary but hey, if I am going to spend that much money, might as well do it right! Where in the world did you find 404's with all the extras for 700$???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with tubulars? Hmmm...well..let you conscience be your guide there. Afraid my less than racing wheels are clincher..but that is my preference (hence my point about not taking my advice...grins). I'd say you could probably get away with going tubular quite easily (me being a 180lb plus behemoth I had to go a bit more durable...let the flames begin about that comment) and would go so far as to even recommend that if you buy race wheels that tubular would be a good choice (oh the blasphemy). As for buying stuff for yourself, this was a very good choice for a starting point. Not too sure any LBS would have made a recommendation to call Zipp themselves. Just struck me as being a pretty logical step..they did design the wheels after all..they would know which application would be best.

Where did I find a fully loaded set of 2003 404s for only $694US shipped (to Canada using UPS no less)? Dumb luck. Took a bit of a gamble that an ebay seller with a feedback rating of only 4 (the other stuff sold was high end and buyers were very happy) selling a stickerless set of 404s was being honest. Seems I pulled off the deal of a lifetime. He'd only barely used them (and by barely I mean 100 miles tops..nubs still on tires) and shipped them bombproof. Bought a set of stickers from Zipp (although I never did get the little VCLV stickers...ARE YOU LISTENING ZIPP...STILL WAITING) for about $35 and now you can't tell they aren't brand new. Did a lot of searching to find them though..patience is a strong character trait of mine. Keep me posted on what Zipp says...and mention someone on ST is still waiting for their complete sticker kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, one more thing about the Zipp tubulars Marisol...remember that you should (I say should because I don't know if this is mandatory) get a set of carbon specific brake pads to go with. I hear they are a significant improvement over standard pads. Not another knock against chosing tubulars but another expense that you will incur should you choose to go that route..and need to consider when budgetting. Don't think they come cheap. Also...what wheels size are you running 650 or 700? I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals and throw them your way depending on which set you choose.
Last edited by: Kentiger: Feb 29, 04 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride 650's... Right now I can get them for about $1000 all new... Thanks for the tips:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
650s for a grand...ooch...see what Zipp says and get back to me..pretty sure I can find something better then that price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sure wish some of the experts would have added their two cents in here."

I wonder how Tom D. is doing... he's probably getting the shakes right about now. I'm sure he'll find a computer soon... but in his absence...

The first year of IMUSA, in the pre-Inside Out days, we sold a bunch of 303 fronts in the expo. It was fairly windy an a number of people wanted the shallower front wheel for improved stability. If you are concerned about it, the 303 front/404 rear is a great combo.

I wouldn't worry about going tubular: you will get fewer flats than with clinchers and even when you do, it's not a big deal.

It has been mentioned in this thread that Enduro Sport has a sale on Zipp wheels. It officially ended today, but we will have some clearouts available once the dust settles.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Dan Rishworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See...told you an expert would interject soon enough..also confirming my thoughts on getting your wheels for less that a grand. You got those in 650 Dan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a set of brand new 2003 Zipps for just under $1000 (retailed at $1350 or something like that). They were closeout models since I bought them late and the 2004 models were under production. I think if you want brand new wheels, that's a pretty good price.

If you don't mind used though, you usually can find pretty good deals on eBay. Probably a lightly used pair for anywhere between $700-800. That was my experience when I was race wheel shopping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called zipps today, as suggested. The guy was very informative. He suggested the 303 in the front with a 404 in the back. after telling him that I was a scared rider and felt like I needed stability, he suggested a 303 set all around but both options would work. He recommended tubulars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for reafirming that I am not some two bit half wit (as some of my coworkers would have you believe. Had a feeling it would be the 303s but hadn't considered a 303/404 combination since most wheels are bought as a set. that said...unless you already have a pair bought (did the personal messages I send you make it through?) I'll keep my eyes open for a pair of 303 tubulars in 650c for you. If you want me to send you the links through email you can contact me through mine found in my profile. I'll try my hardest to live up to the Team Second Hand Racing way of life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Marisol...did you ever get hooked up with a pair of 303s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not meant to be rude or sarcastic- however, the wheels you are talking about purchasing are a nice chunk of change to be added to an already expensive endeavor (I think in some ways I'm still paying off IMWis 2002!). Your post is centered around the fact that you are not comfortable descending...

The wheels you are talking about are high-performance and speed oriented. I'm not judging your ability to race the IM distance, but if you are not comfortable descending, these wheels will not make you a better descender. Any time difference that you may achieve with the wheels will be lost when you are breaking on a long downhill, which IMLP has.

My thought would be to go with a stable, decent pair of rims, and work on building confidence on the downhills. Hell, take the money you would spend on the wheels, take a mini-vacation to LP, and train the course. Maybe a heavy-bike 3 day weekend. Climb the hill, fly down at Mach 1, then climb back up, and do it at Mach 2!!!

Seriously, you'll enjoy the day more if you feel confident and comfortable.

I wish you the best of luck! Ironman is one of the best achievements one can do.

Rob

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racing wheels for IM LP [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey-

I havew a pair of 303's that I love. I live in the Rockies and got 303's over 404's because of the wind and climbing. However, I am interested in a more aero rear wheel and was interested in the suggestion to run a 404 in the back and a 303 in the front. Sounds intriguing, but would I really notice any difference over the 303/303 setip I have now?

BTW-I looked into a RENN disc, but concluded that Discs and Colorado wind and hills were not a great mix.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: 303 front/404 rear??????? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey-
I have read on a couple of posts that a Zipp 303 front wheel coupled with a rear 404 is a good setup for windy and/or hilly course.

I have a pair of 303's that I love. I live in the Rockies and got 303's over 404's because of the wind and climbing. However, I am interested in a more aero rear wheel and was interested in the suggestion to run a 404 in the back and a 303 in the front. Sounds intriguing, but would I really notice any difference over the 303/303 setip I have now?

BTW-I looked into a RENN disc, but concluded that Discs and Colorado wind and hills were not a great mix.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply

Prev Next