Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:

I read this over and over again here in ST and I always question it. Not saying that the Aerohead is a slow helmet, but from a pure aerodynamics/fluid mechanics perspective, why will the Aerohead "always (95%)" test faster than all the other helmets that have similar shapes, materials, etc. ?

In my own testing, I could not find any difference between the Aerohead and the Bell Javelin or the Catlike Rapid Tri. All three of them were faster than the Air Shield.

If the Aerohead would have a proprietary patented shape different from the other helmets, I could see it...but . What am I missing? I would also argue that 95% of folks who do a lot of unbiased aero testing work, do not end up with the Aerohead (Say Frodo, Ditlev)

I've found all those helmets you mentioned to be faster than the aerohead for 1 maybe 2 people. Yet typically the aerohead, both in the wind tunnel and field testing I've done the aerohead is the best helmet for the most people across the most conditions the rider is likely to see. (n= >100)

I see helmets get close, or even tie it. For example I know a triathlete who on low yaw days wears the aerohead and on high yaw days the Poc cerebral. The POC tested faster at 7.5 and 10 the aerohead faster at 0 and 5 for her. She travels w/2 helmets. You will most likely be different.

Or in field testing I've seen helmets tie it but when you start looking at the times for the runs the aerohead is almost always :01-:02 faster. Let's say I do A/B/B/A/A/B and the CdA comes back the same but the aerohead is :01, :02 and :02 faster, I'm recommending the aerohead. :05 over 10-11km starts to add up as the distance increases.

IDK about you're 95% of unbiased people testing don't end up with the aerohead. I know a lot of people who test More often than not the aerohead is among the fastest choices. i've tested a lot of pro cyclists, a few pro triathletes, several AG triathletes and cyclists that didn't have a choice and had to wear/preferred to wear something slower due to sponsorship.

I do think there is a crop of helmets that are a lot closer to the aerohead than the crop of helmets that existed when the aerohead first came out. That was 2016 iirc. The EU has more helmet choices than we do here in the US. The aerohead also does not seem to be as much of a prominent / dominate brand in the EU/UK cycling scene. Probably bc of the greater selection of choices.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

What do you think of the Specialized TT helmet (circa 2015) vs the Aerohead? I have both, and prefer the Specialized for comfort. It looked is to have a smaller profile, and in its early years was acknowledged as a fast option.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Brian,

What do you think of the Specialized TT helmet (circa 2015) vs the Aerohead? I have both, and prefer the Specialized for comfort. It looked is to have a smaller profile, and in its early years was acknowledged as a fast option.

Thanks

For me, it tested as fast (within 1w) as the Aerohead at the A2 tunnel
Testing 2 guys from world tour, Dario Cataldo was faster with the spec, Jakob Fuglsang with the aerohead when we tested their team helmet, to the Spec, to the Aerohead.

So my sample size is 3. Brian probably has more
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 9, 23 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Brian,

Thanks

The McLaren TT4 or the long tailed specialized helmet (TT2) previous to that?

I know the TT4 has come out as the fastest for a few people i just don't remember #s or how many people, call it 5-6 at least. When it came out I remember it doing well against the helmets that were out then. it's long in the tooth for sure though and their new TT5 is probably faster

Sorry I don't have better/more accurate info for you.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 10, 23 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian tested me in it and in the Aerohead. The aerohead was faster for me by a fair bit. Ditto on my friend testing the same day.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [btsaubt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Rudy Wing. Any reason to reconsider?
I have a very small head - assuming size small.
Any discounts Rudy peeps?
Quote Reply

Prev Next