Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which aero helmet to get?
Quote | Reply
Hi folks, I'm looking to get in the market for a true aero helmet for 70.3 Jones Beach in September this year. I'm trying to choose between the Rudy Project Wing, the Giro Aerohead, and the POC Procen which is supposed to become available for purchase in Sept. Right now, my bike PR is a 2:23 from 70.3 Eagleman two years ago with 207W at 68kg, and my target race power for this year is 240W which I'm hoping to be in the 2:10-2:15 with. I've been riding with a secondhand S-Works Evade since I tend to run hot, but the new Procen looks like it should have pretty solid cooling capability given the massive vent at the front.

Any thoughts on waiting for the new helmet or just going with a proven existing helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [btsaubt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's still hard to beat the aerohead, very, very hard.
I'm hearing rumors of a new Rudy that is doing very, very well compared to the wing and the Wing is a HUGE step up from their previous helmets.

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an Aerohead for a few years and recently switched to the Wing. I have no idea which is more aero but I can point to a few practical considerations. The Aerohead is heavier than the Wing, enough that I stopped using the Aerohead on anything longer than Olympic distance.

The other main thing that I didn't like about the Aerohead is the lack of forward visibility while in aero. The helmet has a pointy front end, presumably to help split the air. However, that point blocked my forward vision quite a bit when in aero. My TT position is fairly flat, so this may not bother someone who is more upright than me. The Wing has much better forward visibility.

If you decide to go with a Wing, err on the side of ordering a larger helmet. They run a little small.
Last edited by: dktxracer: Aug 6, 23 18:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new black wing for sale if you are interested. Size small. Listed In classifieds
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel sorry for people who use Aerohead. It's damn heavy, it will kill your neck in long rides. Rudy The Wing is badass on the other hand. I haven't found any helmet better than that. If you've tried other helmets and like more than The Wing, please let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I’m a large Aerohead (the medium was pretty tight on me) should I go with a medium The Wing?
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, just checked and I got that backwards. The Rudy Wing tends to run a little small. I wore a medium in the Aerohead and wear a size large in the Wing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cost may also a consideration. The aerohead can be found for $225 quite easily online. The Rudy is a lot more.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Wide_Body_6005.html

I have had 6-7 drop-shaped aero helmets over the last 13-14 years; Specialized, S-works, Bell, Rudy, Giro.
In terms of weight, comfort, fit - the MET Drone is the best (by far) I have ever owned. Also tests very fasts and you see it on a big amount of top-pros

How it fits your fit on the bike is really what is most important, IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AERO head is FKing BRICK!!!
If they can make a lit version, it will be the best/cheap/aero helmet ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Cost may also a consideration. The aerohead can be found for $225 quite easily online. The Rudy is a lot more.

Rudy constantly has sales, typically 30%-40% off. I bought my Wing for around $250.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:

I've actually never noticed the 'heavy' weight of the Aerohead, even with hours riding in aero position. Sure, it may be heavier than other helmets, but it's def not so bad that it's a no-go. I honestly would have never even noticed the extra weight untilI saw it mentioned here.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My size L aerohead is 530g and the rest of my lineup is either 400ish or under. I can tell the different during a full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
My size L aerohead is 530g and the rest of my lineup is either 400ish or under. I can tell the different during a full.

I'm sure Id tell the difference if I had other lighter helmets to compare to.

But at least for me, it's not a problem regarding neck strength. It's way harder just to get use to the aero position in the first place, than dealing with the helmet itself. (I don't find it any harder to stay aero with the aerohead vs my regular road nonaero helmets.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
uva0224 wrote:

I've actually never noticed the 'heavy' weight of the Aerohead, even with hours riding in aero position. Sure, it may be heavier than other helmets, but it's def not so bad that it's a no-go. I honestly would have never even noticed the extra weight untilI saw it mentioned here.

Once you try something else, you will never go back to Aerohead. It’s damn heavy and disgrace of all aero helmets.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
lightheir wrote:
uva0224 wrote:

Once you try something else, you will never go back to Aerohead. It’s damn heavy and disgrace of all aero helmets.

I’ll literally wear a brick if it made me go realistically faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
s13tx wrote:
lightheir wrote:
uva0224 wrote:

I’ll literally wear a brick if it made me go realistically faster!

Ok but you choose a lighter brick if it’s equally as fast (or possibly faster). As noted, this will always be rider-specific but if you aren’t going to test, might as well use one of the fastest testing g helmets that’s also light. I enjoyed the switch to the Wing. I didn’t hate the Aerohead but like the Wing better.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think pro triathletes do exact the opposite. Looking at the PTO race female, most of them wearing a helmet that is one size larger than normal. To cover the shoulders I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
I think pro triathletes do exact the opposite. Looking at the PTO race female, most of them wearing a helmet that is one size larger than normal. To cover the shoulders I suppose.

This is assuming that you have your head low enough to cover your shoulders. Most Ag's have their heads way up in the wind where a wide helmet will do nothing but slow them down. It's the same thing that happened with the POC Tempor, amazing in TP/IP, terrible in amateur use.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Ok but you choose a lighter brick if it’s equally as fast (or possibly faster). As noted, this will always be rider-specific but if you aren’t going to test, might as well use one of the fastest testing g helmets that’s also light..

If you play the averages on this:

Switching to the Aerohead gives you a 90% chance on the low side and maybe as much as 95% chance it'll be faster than whatever you're switching from.
Switching to the Rudy Wing is a 50% chance on the low side and maybe a 60% chance on the high side it'll be faster than whatever you're switching from.

When I think about which helmet I recommend when someone consults I take into account where they place, goals/aspirations. The closer they are to the front of their AG or the race overall or a pro or those are their realistic goals I recommend the Aerohead if they aren't testing. But, if they have tried the aerohead than it's the Poc cerebral or the Rudy choose whichever fits best, costs less and you can find although I'd say the POC has maybe a 10% increase in chance to work better than the Rudy.

Hope that helps everyone

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 8, 23 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Ok but you choose a lighter brick if it’s equally as fast (or possibly faster). As noted, this will always be rider-specific but if you aren’t going to test, might as well use one of the fastest testing g helmets that’s also light..

Switching to the Aerohead gives you a 90% chance on the low side and maybe as much as 95% chance it'll be faster than whatever you're switching from.
Switching to the Rudy Wing is a 50% chance on the low side and maybe a 60% chance on the high side it'll be faster than whatever you're switching from.

When I think about which helmet I recommend when someone consults I take into account where they place, goals/aspirations. The closer they are to the front of their AG or the race overall or a pro or those are their realistic goals I recommend the Aerohead if they aren't testing. But, if they have tried the aerohead than it's the Poc cerebral or the Rudy choose whichever fits best, costs less and you can find although I'd say the POC has maybe a 10% increase in chance to work better than the Rudy.

Hope that helps everyone

I read this over and over again here in ST and I always question it. Not saying that the Aerohead is a slow helmet, but from a pure aerodynamics/fluid mechanics perspective, why will the Aerohead "always (95%)" test faster than all the other helmets that have similar shapes, materials, etc. ?

In my own testing, I could not find any difference between the Aerohead and the Bell Javelin or the Catlike Rapid Tri. All three of them were faster than the Air Shield.

If the Aerohead would have a proprietary patented shape different from the other helmets, I could see it...but . What am I missing? I would also argue that 95% of folks who do a lot of unbiased aero testing work, do not end up with the Aerohead (Say Frodo, Ditlev)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See the kask mistral much in testing? This, and almost like a throwback, the Met Drone, gets a lot of use amongst tri pros.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
desert dude wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Hope that helps everyone

I read this over and over again here in ST and I always question it. Not saying that the Aerohead is a slow helmet, but from a pure aerodynamics/fluid mechanics perspective, why will the Aerohead "always (95%)" test faster than all the other helmets that have similar shapes, materials, etc. ?

In my own testing, I could not find any difference between the Aerohead and the Bell Javelin or the Catlike Rapid Tri. All three of them were faster than the Air Shield.

If the Aerohead would have a proprietary patented shape different from the other helmets, I could see it...but . What am I missing? I would also argue that 95% of folks who do a lot of unbiased aero testing work, do not end up with the Aerohead (Say Frodo, Ditlev)

It's very personally dependent: very very, because everyone has a different body and sits differently on the bike.
The only assertion is, that the aerohead tests aerodynamically very good in MOST configurations. And a configuration is dynamic: a test in a windtunnel with a fixed position does not help a lot. In the real world you constantly change the position of your head. At least I have to sight every 2 or 3 seconds, since in full aeroposition I cannot see the road in front of me.

That's why I have the aerohead, I'm too lazy to test other helmets (whereby executing a testing protocol is not so easy too).

To me an aerohead is not too hot or heavy (I did numerous very hot IMs with it). It is true you see the edge a bit on top when in aeroposition, but hardly. This becomes also better when you fasten the turning button, actuating the plastic strap around the head, I noticed. With a loose plastic strap the helmet falls downwardly blocking the vision at the top.
Disadvantage of the aerohead: every visor breaks in the middle starting at the bottom: I had to replace it more often. Furthermore the visor is fantastic: it is held firmly by the magnets and you can store the visor on the top of the helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Hope that helps everyone

Did you get to test the POC Procen yet by any chance?
Ventilation looks very good on paper
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmet to get? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
See the kask mistral much in testing? This, and almost like a throwback, the Met Drone, gets a lot of use amongst tri pros.

I tested this a few times last year to really good results

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next