Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT?
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I didn’t see anything after a quick search. Is there a ‘fastest’ option for tubeless sealant? I’m new to tubeless. Running Conti 5000 TDF TT 25’s on Aerocoach Zephyr front and Zipp super 9 disc. Recommendations for sealants to use? I’m not against just using latex tubes. I’m comfortable with latex tubes as I’ve used them the past 12 years. Also, they’re as fast as tubeless for the research I’ve done. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT? [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was using Silca Ultimate for a while but switched to Silca Replenishment and add Effetto Vitamina CL which is a sealant additive.

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/...-cl-sealant-additive

I just had too much trouble with the Silca Ultimate and keeping it in using the pour method on my TT wheels. I prefer just using the valves.
I had a little luck using the Vittoria Multi-way Valves with the Silca Ultimate and Stan’s Race. You just have to be real slow and patient and milk the particles through.

https://www.vittoria.com/...less-multiway-valves
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT? [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I didn’t see anything after a quick search. Is there a ‘fastest’ option for tubeless sealant? I’m new to tubeless. Running Conti 5000 TDF TT 25’s on Aerocoach Zephyr front and Zipp super 9 disc. Recommendations for sealants to use? I’m not against just using latex tubes. I’m comfortable with latex tubes as I’ve used them the past 12 years. Also, they’re as fast as tubeless for the research I’ve done. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about fastest, but if you have an A race and you're using lightweight tires like that, I'd use something like Stan's Race Sealant or Silca Ultimate. The stuff you don't necessarily want to use in training because they clog up valve stems. But will seal up even pretty big holes without much pressure loss when you're TTing along.

And then after the race, clean it out and switch back to training stuff.

I have zero data, but I'd suspect there's not a ton of variance in how "fast" sealants are.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 29, 23 19:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a HUGE fan or Orange Seal and Also Muc-off

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're lucky to be racing TT's frequently (enough to be wearing the very light tires out), I think any of the quality sealants (Muc, Orange, Stan) work fine. If you can only do two or three TT's a year - IMHO stick with latex tubes. The stuff dries out - you have to take everything apart and clean it - a real PIA.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT? [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
If you're lucky to be racing TT's frequently (enough to be wearing the very light tires out), I think any of the quality sealants (Muc, Orange, Stan) work fine. If you can only do two or three TT's a year - IMHO stick with latex tubes. The stuff dries out - you have to take everything apart and clean it - a real PIA.

I'm gunna second that, just run latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT? [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I like that advice. Unless something came out stating tubeless is faster, I think that’s what I’m gonna for my TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with the latex tubes suggestion!

If you are intent on tubeless though, I agree with the Silca Ultimate tubeless sealant suggestion. Really great stuff! If a bit harder to get set up because you can't just squirt it in through the valve stem. That was always confusing to me anyway. I mean, isn't that the size of hole you want it to seal?
Last edited by: goneskiian: Jul 30, 23 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubeless is much faster than fixing a flat. I'll be contrary here and recommend tubeless. If you hit something small and sharp, it just adds that chance that the puncture seals and doesn't ruin your race. Don't let an extra hour of maintenance a year dissuade you, tubeless is much, much easier than slowtwitch makes it out to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Tubeless is much faster than fixing a flat. I'll be contrary here and recommend tubeless. If you hit something small and sharp, it just adds that chance that the puncture seals and doesn't ruin your race. Don't let an extra hour of maintenance a year dissuade you, tubeless is much, much easier than slowtwitch makes it out to be.

agreed..and once you learn to plug the tire even better
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

Having left my race wheels hanging for a few months (and just forgot about them) with sealant in them, it was a joy (not) this past weekend to try and unmount the glued on tyres LOL. But I agree the benefits come race day are defo worth the hassle of tubeless. My plan now is to leave the tyres on the rims (but not seated) and empty. Couple of weeks pre race, seat them and fill them and confirm they seal, race them, and then after flush them out and unseat them again

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Sealant: is there a preferred brand for TT? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Having left my race wheels hanging for a few months (and just forgot about them) with sealant in them, it was a joy (not) this past weekend to try and unmount the glued on tyres LOL. But I agree the benefits come race day are defo worth the hassle of tubeless. My plan now is to leave the tyres on the rims (but not seated) and empty. Couple of weeks pre race, seat them and fill them and confirm they seal, race them, and then after flush them out and unseat them again

This seems reasonable if you're concerned with flatting in a TT. Put the sealant in a few weeks before the race, clean everything out right after the race, before the sealant can dry, then immediately remount the tire (no sealant). I'd suggest only using water based sealants if you do this.
Last edited by: Hanginon: Jul 31, 23 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Orange sealant and it's been great. I only use the type of sealant that can be pushed through the valve. I've only experienced one flat in the many years I've used them and it sealed just fine and I was able to ride the last 30 miles without issue.

I don't think any sealant is "faster" than any other.
Quote Reply