Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I agree that there should be some sort of limit to roll downs and it's a joke that you can finish 21st in your AG and qualify for the "World Championships" outright.

Jimi Sendrix wrote:
honestly, there should be a time percentage cutoff in your age group based on the winner. If you dont get within a certain time percentage of the winner of your age group you shouldn't be able to get a slot, simple as that.

The person that was 39th qualified in an AG of 59 (Top 66%). I raced injured and with a brake rub at my last race finishing 18th of 150 (Top 12%) and didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of qualifying. Personally I had no thought that would be a qualifying finish for the WC, but for comparison sake the numbers don't add up.
Last edited by: Sub17Project: Jun 29, 23 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s really good marketing and branding that has made the WC so coveted. The emotional pull and legendary status of Kona keeps that interest up. Many (most) KQ AG are the very best, but as we’ve seen, some 14-15 hour finishers (who cross 3-4 hours after the podium) back into a slot as a function of finishing the race and others not wanting the slot.

I’m not sure how to think of the idea of “earning the KQ” this way. On one hand, they’re hours behind the podium, but OTOH they did their research, finished the race, and have a CC that is approved.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring back 1 day coed Kona
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
It’s really good marketing and branding that has made the WC so coveted. The emotional pull and legendary status of Kona keeps that interest up. Many (most) KQ AG are the very best, but as we’ve seen, some 14-15 hour finishers (who cross 3-4 hours after the podium) back into a slot as a function of finishing the race and others not wanting the slot.

I’m not sure how to think of the idea of “earning the KQ” this way. On one hand, they’re hours behind the podium, but OTOH they did their research, finished the race, and have a CC that is approved.

Being astute enough to "work" the system and "cherry pick" races along with being able to obtain and "max out" a credit card are not merits that should be attributed to qualifying for a WC race. The fact this method is actively pursued and feasible indicates a very broken system.
Last edited by: Sub17Project: Jun 29, 23 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
KK,

I sure the hell hope not. When I'm lining up and finishing #18 of 150 and not having a snowballs chance in hell of getting a slot and understanding I must crack the Top 10, yet these things are going to the BOP'ers in other AG's doesn't sit well with me. These slots should be earned. It's not a vending machine.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but apparently it is.

There's a certain irony in Americans complaining about Kona being too accessible, when they've had the easiest road to Kona and dominated the MOP/BOP on the island for almost 40 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These slots should be earned. It's not a vending machine

——-

But yes it is a vending machine. And it costs $1200.

Kona will die. I give it 4 years (2 rotations) before they come back to all on same day but by then too late…PTO and Roth will have become main events.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a wager to me, Rhys! IPA, or ???

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
140triguy wrote:

Being astute enough to "work" the system and "cherry pick" races along with being able to obtain and "max out" a credit card are not merits that should be attributed to qualifying for a WC race. The fact this method is actively pursued and feasible indicates a very broken system.

It seems like you don't realise that what you describe is exactly how the system worked with Kona until before COVID.
If you're a European, the easiest path to qualification has for a long while been fly to America (especially if it's a championship race) or some other distant race. North America is better because there's more races, more slots and not as many competitive athletes.

That, or buy one of the many auction slots.

So, in a way, you can argue the current system is fairer.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Jun 30, 23 0:23
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will have to fill up the Kona or Nice transition areas every single year. What used to be 25 percent of the field at Kona will now be 100 percent at Kona or Nice. So it would make sense that the number of women’s slots should be equal to the men’s once this first year is shaken out. If there are 2,000 slots at Kona and 2,000 at Nice, they should eventually be the same number of slots awarded per race.

The issue is that historically, there were far fewer women’s slots because they were based on percentage of females vs. males racing. I hope that when the number of slots is equalized, more women are incentivized to come race.

By the way, in my 65-69 age group, there were eight women registered, only seven picked up bibs and only six started. By the end of the race, there were four finishers and two Kona slots. First and second place did not want to race in Kona, one because she had done it years ago and did not want to return, and the other one had other plans for October. That left my teammate and me to accept the two slots that rolled down to third and fourth place.

Very happy to be making a return visit to Kona!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
They will have to fill up the Kona or Nice transition areas every single year. What used to be 25 percent of the field at Kona will now be 100 percent at Kona or Nice. So it would make sense that the number of women’s slots should be equal to the men’s once this first year is shaken out. If there are 2,000 slots at Kona and 2,000 at Nice, they should eventually be the same number of slots awarded per race.

The issue is that historically, there were far fewer women’s slots because they were based on percentage of females vs. males racing. I hope that when the number of slots is equalized, more women are incentivized to come race.

By the way, in my 65-69 age group, there were eight women registered, only seven picked up bibs and only six started. By the end of the race, there were four finishers and two Kona slots. First and second place did not want to race in Kona, one because she had done it years ago and did not want to return, and the other one had other plans for October. That left my teammate and me to accept the two slots that rolled down to third and fourth place.

Very happy to be making a return visit to Kona!

I have no problem with last place and second to last place getting a slot! Just having fun! :)

Personally, think all this talk about making sure the championship is the very best is soooooo overblown. Again, you want to have a championship of the very best? Look at the pro field. You want to be among the very best? Go pro.

The AG divisions create watered down competition segregated by who can afford to travel to Kona already. Even if IM set WC qualifying cut off times, there's still no guarantee they can fill the event, because those fast racers have to pay to go and a large percent of them don't.

Last thought. Maybe I'm a sucker for sob stories, but look at the types of people competing in CDA (watch the first few minutes).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Q83vy95YM

I really don't care a whole lot about making sure we have more super fast amateur competitors at the World Championships if it means people like this are cut out from the opportunity. I think Ironman would much rather have their events be a triumph of people over the tragedies inherent in the human condition instead of aero gain tweakers who fight each other for an extra minute of time on the bike or run.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Jun 30, 23 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
These slots should be earned. It's not a vending machine

——-

But yes it is a vending machine. And it costs $1200.

Kona will die. I give it 4 years (2 rotations) before they come back to all on same day but by then too late…PTO and Roth will have become main events.

God willing. At this point they need to can the IMWC AG race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next