Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM CDA Slot Allocation
Quote | Reply
Anyone have updates on how deep slots rolled down this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Trail2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolldown should just be starting as we speak…

Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No claimers in many age groups for Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

BTW - nice job with the AG win!! I guess no Nice for you ;)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess not surprising given past trends. Are women’s slots skewing the same way? It seemed some non US races saw low women’s slot participation but I’d be curious to see if US racing was the same.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Thanks.

I did take my slot.

I hate racing Kona.
There is nothing like backpacking on the tropical side of Hawaii.
But Kona and that race?
Not for me.

I eyeballed airfare and Airbnb in Nice.
It seemed cheaper.
Crazy.
Maybe it's the current exchange rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three friends who race W40-44 and finished 4th, 16th, and 19th. There were 20 Kona slots in that AG and they all took them. Not sure if any rolled.

I also now the guy who won M50-54 and he was unsure if he would take Nice as of this morning.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is from CDA facebook group

Men - if you wanted to go, you got a spot. The short version is that there were 21 slots unclaimed.
Women
[/url]18-24 - 3 spots - rolled to 5
25-29 - 10 spots - rolled through - reallocated to 40-44
30-34 - 14 spots - rolled to 22
35-39 - 14 spots - rolled to 17
40-44 - 21 spots - rolled to 39 (before the additional slot allocated at the end)
45-49 - 19 spots - rolled to 23
50-54 - 16 spots - rolled to 26
55-59 - 12 spots - rolled to 16
60-64 - 4 spots - all taken
65-69 - 2 spots - rolled to 4th
70-74 - no finishers

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Thanks.

I did take my slot.

I hate racing Kona.
There is nothing like backpacking on the tropical side of Hawaii.
But Kona and that race?
Not for me.

I eyeballed airfare and Airbnb in Nice.
It seemed cheaper.
Crazy.
Maybe it's the current exchange rate.

Nice is cheaper than Lahti. I'd almost rather do Nice for a lot of reasons. Flights from USA to Lahti are the most expensive. Nice is about half that price. Kona is about half that.

But everything else in Kona is more expensive. I'd rather race Nice than Kona. I'd be happier in either of them than Lahti though.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

Men - if you wanted to go, you got a spot. The short version is that there were 21 slots unclaimed.
Women
40-44 - 21 spots - rolled to 39 (before the additional slot allocated at the end)
70-74 - no finishers

So in W40-44 there were 59 finishers and a slot rolled all the way through? Good grief...Show up and grab a WC slot. Geez.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that with the rolldown. Is this whole women's additional slot thing going to continue year after year? Is it because the men's and women's races are separate venues now?

I have mixed feelings about it.

It seems like a money grab by WTC....

KK
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KK,
I wonder if more women will start showing up once they realize slots are on the table. A few races (in the past), I can recall not going because I was ranked in the 30s and figured there's no chance. Turns out in one of them I would have made it. Everyone has that story, so will women change behavior when they hear about this? Counterpoint - IM struggles to fill the male slots for Nice with 2-3x the number of participants to draw on. Nice roll downs for women next year might be ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
KK,
I wonder if more women will start showing up once they realize slots are on the table. A few races (in the past), I can recall not going because I was ranked in the 30s and figured there's no chance. Turns out in one of them I would have made it. Everyone has that story, so will women change behavior when they hear about this? Counterpoint - IM struggles to fill the male slots for Nice with 2-3x the number of participants to draw on. Nice roll downs for women next year might be ridiculous.

I sure the hell hope not. When I'm lining up and finishing #18 of 150 and not having a snowballs chance in hell of getting a slot and understanding I must crack the Top 10, yet these things are going to the BOP'ers in other AG's doesn't sit well with me. These slots should be earned. It's not a vending machine.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

Women
70-74 - no finishers

So in W40-44 there were 59 finishers and a slot rolled all the way through? Good grief...Show up and grab a WC slot. Geez.

I read this as the 39th place person took the last slot. So no not all 59 got a slot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly, there should be a time percentage cutoff in your age group based on the winner. If you dont get within a certain time percentage of the winner of your age group you shouldn't be able to get a slot, simple as that.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

Women
70-74 - no finishers

I read this as the 39th place person took the last slot. So no not all 59 got a slot

I guess allocated at the end was allocated to #39, so not the very end at #59.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [Jimi Sendrix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimi Sendrix wrote:
honestly, there should be a time percentage cutoff in your age group based on the winner. If you dont get within a certain time percentage of the winner of your age group you shouldn't be able to get a slot, simple as that.

They need to keep the men's and women's races separate and take the Age Group winner of each Age Group. The remaining slots go to a certain percentage of the top performers (ie. Top 10%).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimi Sendrix wrote:

If your credit card doesn’t decline looks like you can get a slot.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Jimi Sendrix wrote:

Basically. It's sad. USAT Nats 2.0.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Jimi Sendrix wrote:

Basically. It's sad. USAT Nats 2.0.

It's market driven. If some people don't want to go because they cant travel time off, budget etc., should they just make the race smaller so it's more competitive?

What if, as is often the case that's true for some of the fastest racers? Just cancel the roll downs have have a smaller championship?

It's always market driven, to some degree, at every level where the percent of competitors who are willing and able to pay determine how far it rolls.

I do think there are a decent number of racers who only have a few races under their belt that don't understand the rolldown potential so they don't turn up.

IM needs to do a better job of telling people, "your time might have qualified for world championship based on previous slot allocation trends" when they cross the finish line perhaps? Hand the athlete a printed scoresheet with their times and that headline at the top if the algorithm determines possible slot allocation and at least get them thinking about it.

All womens Nice 2024 is going to be a flop from the looks of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet they change the way the slots are allocated for 2024 and beyond. This year seemingly is to stir up interest and fill the women's race. With that said, that participation numbers for full IM's seem to be dropping. I was shocked less than 1000 finishers completed the race in Cda.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [NHK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NHK wrote:
I bet they change the way the slots are allocated for 2024 and beyond. This year seemingly is to stir up interest and fill the women's race. With that said, that participation numbers for full IM's seem to be dropping. I was shocked less than 1000 finishers completed the race in Cda.

I agree with you about 2024 WC allocations possibly changing. It’s interesting to me that fall races still don’t have the number of slots available at each on their website.

Many people use this to decide which race to do. I’m dying to know how many will be allocated to the race I’m signed up for, ironman Florida
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that there were some AG slots that rolled very far down. People who had a KQ in mind definitely had their opportunity in CdA. I know that for many a KQ is a long-term dream and goal, so we have to hand it to them when they get a KQ. However, it seems to me that in this race in particular, the reward of an AG KQ is really just a matter of estimating which fields we’re going to be weaker or less-subscribed, paying the money to enter, making it across the line (in itself an achievement), and then seemingly backing into a slot when it rolls deep into the field.

Honestly, I have half a mind to think that a MOP/BOP AG’er getting this slot is really just buying their way in (entry fees and travel to 2 races), and playing right into the marketing and branding aspirations of IM. Like AWA, it’s a pay-to-play scheme. I’m not sure if I think that cheapens it a bit, and wonder if someone finishing in 14-15 hours really wonders if that’s a Kona-quality finish during the next 12 hours as they await the roll-down process.

To be fair, I also have the thought that they did finish the race, with all that it entails: training, setting up their lives around this pursuit, and showing up on race day and officially finishing. If the 10-20 faster finishers in an AG already have a slot or don’t want to pay through the nose for another race, then those who do should have the opportunity to do so. In the end, WC will still be the WC, at least for the top 25% of the entrants (pros and podium AG) , and IM will make their money on the rest of the field. After having done three full IM races in my life, I’m okay with leaving that behind me, but others who want to keep at it have great reasons to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA Slot Allocation [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really well said.

As much as I hate to say it, the WC events are becoming (as someone above stated) AG Nats 2.0.

Are all the qualifiers there to win? No. But there is sure as hell still fast racing at the front of the race, that doesn't change.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that there should be some sort of limit to roll downs and it's a joke that you can finish 21st in your AG and qualify for the "World Championships" outright.

Jimi Sendrix wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next