Prev Next
Re: Adding Reach [erbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this was answered above but:

Why didn't you choose a larger bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is how we did this on a E119 (2016 model) but could work on yours too: Bought a 4 mm carbon plate that rests on the bars and fixed with screws in the elbow cups - works well and I added maybe 60 mm of reach:

Quote Reply
Re: Adding Reach [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Here is how we did this on a E119 (2016 model) but could work on yours too: Bought a 4 mm carbon plate that rests on the bars and fixed with screws in the elbow cups - works well and I added maybe 60 mm of reach:

I've done something like this before with 6061 aluminum stock. Once you cut it (or buy it) as ~20mm x ~10mm x ~whatever length then it's just drilling holes to attach to the basebar and another pair of holes to attach the extensions. You can even get really fancy and tap threads into the holes that way there's no bolts poking out.

I wouldn't do this more than a couple inches forward tho unless you really know what you're doing.
Last edited by: mathematics: Aug 31, 23 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i purchased the fast tt extenders for my argon bike and even though i am maxed out on the extensions, it really uncrunched me in the front. And with slight adjustment in tilt downward, I am happier albeit I wish I had purchased a bike with more reach.......picture attached below
Last edited by: daub11: Apr 3, 24 22:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might do the trick for you

https://www.fasttt.bike/...ble-extender-plates/

Very simple extender plate and works pretty good

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Adding Reach [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the second reccomendation for the Fast TT spacers, I may need to get my hands on a set of those and see if it gives me a little more flexibilty to get out over the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely only use those if you're relatively light. Plenty of leverage to pop the head off a bolt or strip some threads with something like that, especially if you're trying to push the limits of available reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Adding Reach [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear the concern, and I'd be cautious as I push them, but I will likely have more faith in these than balancing carbon cups at the extreme like I currently have. Grabbing some aluminum stock from my nearest big box store to see how far I want to push them forward would be cheaper and give me more margin for error. I'll give that a shot before I work on getting something shipped half way around the world that may not even get me where I need to be.

FWIW I'm 6'2" and race around 165#, so not heavy but by no means a featherweight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently opening a basebar mold and working on adding a reach adapter. But we are still very concerned about the leverage and loads on bolts. On the market no handlebar has been made and tested for these added reach positions so riders are taking a risk. There is a high risk of the bolt pulling through the carbon or even breaking the basebar. I may offer adapters for other bars but will make a signed disclaimer that reach on another brand, set up untested has risk of failure and Culprit won't be held responsible.

I hope bike brands can make longer bikes to avoid this or offer more stem options, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Adding Reach [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up to 180mm offered now on AliExpress

https://www.aliexpress.us/...0b-a7b8-75c93a01e937
Quote Reply
Re: Adding Reach [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even I would get nervous riding that stem, but more for the steerer than the stem itself! It probably goes with what cuprit is saying: that AliExpress can get away with higher risk products due to a lack of liability whereas US based brands (or maybe brands that have a US presence? I can't quite find the right word) wouldn't release something like that due to the possibility of litigation.
Quote Reply

Prev Next