Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember (last year?) when the bomb cyclone hit the day of ironman California? That race was canceled morning of too I believe and everyone got a deferral right?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was part of the 2018 NC 70.3 race that got cancelled due to Hurricane Florence. We got a deferral to any open North American 70.3 the rest of 2018 or 2019.

I hope they do the same for Mt. Tremblant athletes!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
TheRhino wrote:
I don't expect this opinion to be shared widely, but I mean that I suspect if you read the TOS I accepted the risk of "act of god" type situations to interfere with a single day event that takes months to plan and execute, without recourse. Maybe they will be more considerate than that but I don't think they are obligated to. Prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

IM has generally been very good about offering other options. I don’t believe a refund is usually offered, but I was in New Orleans 2017 where there was a massive thunderstorm forcing cancellation, and then also was to race NC 70.3 that was cancelled due to Hurricane Florence. In both cases, IM offered multiple events within North America you could transfer to for somewhere around 12 months. Folks generally like to complain about IM, and some is warranted, but they’ve done more than required repeatedly when it comes to cancellations.

When they cancelled Alaska they gave transfers to another full. They also offered an additional complimentary 70.3 that I used at Steelhead yesterday. That's a little different because it was their decision to cancel, but in my experience IM has always been more than fair in making things right.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
Interesting, and I agree with others that cancelling the event was the right call. In the IM announcement, they (IM) state" Ironman has strict safety benchmarks in place for air quality". I wonder exactly what those benchmarks are...I am just a bit skeptical that IM has such benchmarks.

I wonder what the refund policy is for something like this. Ironman certainly does not like to cancel events and will go to great lengths to avoid doing so (eg moving the 2021 WC from Kona to St George - held in May 2022 - where the Covid restrictions were less stringent than other places, but at the time, according to the Federal Government, the pandemic was still occurring), partly (maybe largely) to avoid having to issue refunds.

I don't think there are any benchmarks. Eagleman had the prospect of a similar air quality, and asking on groups/sending emails the answer was always that the have strict guidelines and will work in the best interest of the athletes. Never any indication of what those guidelines/benchmarks might be.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of the Tremblant cancellees! So bummed. I was also scheduled for IMMT 2020, which offered a full refund. Everyone on the FB site is convinced there will be no refund or rollover option, best case scenario some small discount on future race. Does anyone have experience with a cancelled 70.3 and what IM did? Saw earlier in post about a NC 70.3. Anything else?

Would love to jump into something else quickly but looks like Happy Valley this weekend is now sold out - maybe Mussleman in two weeks? But if get free or reduced registration, dont want to lose that opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [SBR.NYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR.NYC wrote:
What do you mean? There better be at least free entry into 2024 or ability to transfer "today" to other 2023 70.3. At least that is what was done for all those "pandemic registrations".

The main difference between yesterday and the pandemic is that the races were cancelled/deferred months in advance, so the race was likely able to recoup at least some of the costs associated. For example, yesterday, they still had ambulance drivers sitting at key points of the course a few hours after it had been cancelled. That costs money. Now, I'm hopeful as are others that as with other weather related events, they'll offer something - but this is different than the pandemic.

Now what I want to know is what happened to all the post-race food? Surely there's a mountain of poutine and cookies just waiting to be given out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Remember (last year?) when the bomb cyclone hit the day of ironman California? That race was canceled morning of too I believe and everyone got a deferral right?

2021 but correct. Deferral either to 2022 or transfer to the remaining iromans AZ, FL or Cozumel
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
everybody gets a Nice slot :)

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got email with all possible options..
  1. Free transfer to 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 Mont-Tremblant – August 20, 2023
  2. Free upgrade to 2023 IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant – August 20, 2023
  3. Select from any open 2023 IRONMAN 70.3 event in North America*
  4. Defer to 2024 IRONMAN 70.3 Mont-Tremblant – June 23, 2024 (Automatic Option)
  5. Choose to receive a refund

Can't be better than that.. free upgrade or refund are definitely a nice surprise (maybe not as nice for those who are already registered for full IMMT)
Last edited by: SBR.NYC: Jun 27, 23 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really impressive response. I expected deferrals but never would have guessed refunds would be on the table.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Really impressive response. I expected deferrals but never would have guessed refunds would be on the table.

Free upgrade to the full is a great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR.NYC wrote:

Can't be better than that.. free upgrade or refund are definitely a nice surprise (maybe not as nice for those who are already registered for full IMMT)

Bravo ironman. This is how you do it! I’m really happy for everyone and super jealous of the free upgrade to the full!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice. I wonder if they will open up the August 70.3 event to general registration. Maybe not if trying to keep congestion down on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Never would have thought IM would offer a refund let alone allow a free upgrade to a full. Is the refund the new standard for cancelled races outside of their control? Or is this going to be a one off? I hope they thought this through because there will be folks that expect a refund for events like this from here on out. Once you set a precedent….

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is answer.
my understanding numbers below are just examples of how many registrations left in those events.. if there are no available spots, that event is off the table..

2023 event options are first-come, first-served with select events having limited availability, including IRONMAN 70.3 Pennsylvania (200), IRONMAN 70.3 Musselman (250), IRONMAN 70.3 Wisconsin (25), IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz (50), IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina (100), and IRONMAN 70.3 Arizona (200).
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Wow. Never would have thought IM would offer a refund let alone allow a free upgrade to a full. Is the refund the new standard for cancelled races outside of their control? Or is this going to be a one off? I hope they thought this through because there will be folks that expect a refund for events like this from here on out. Once you set a precedent….

I'm super impressed. With regards to 'IM offering'.........someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this isn't really WTC giving these choices, it is the event organization in Quebec that buys the license for the Ironman name/advertising that is doing the right thing here, no? Perhaps they have to do some work with WTC with regards to transferring to other races? Anyway, good on them!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jun 27, 23 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
stevej wrote:

I'm super impressed. With regards to 'IM offering'.........someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this isn't really WTC giving these choices, it is the event organization in Quebec that buys the license for the Ironman name/advertising that is doing the right thing here, no? Perhaps they have to do some work with WTC with regards to transferring to other races? Anyway, good on them!

I think this is a difference in CA races and US races. I think they've offered refunds for cancelled races in CA before? Never in the US that I know of
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
SBR.NYC wrote:

Bravo ironman. This is how you do it! I’m really happy for everyone and super jealous of the free upgrade to the full!

Ditto, wow.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with others being very impressed. There's a long history of IM giving lukewarm options at cancellations (at best), but I really can't think of a better slate of options they could offer. Seems like they said around the table considering all the things they could offer, and in the end just shrugged and went: "Give anyone whatever they want".

Well done.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really good for all the MT athletes.

After 2017 New Orleans 70.3's cancelation, one could pick one of the below:

- using a $100 coupon for another IM race in North America over 2018
- entering the New Orleans marathon or half marathon for $50

And we had to pick one option within four weeks after the canceled race (October 2017).

Not sure if anyone here has ever heard of a worst compensation from IM. This was pretty disapointing.
Last edited by: ALG: Jun 27, 23 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
stevej wrote:

WTC owns Ironman Canada and the Tremblant races. Muskoka and Calgary are licensed races.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earnestly super impressed with the options, including the refund. Now paralyzed by choice - lol.

Hope everyone impacted finds something that works for them :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great options for sure, might be difficult finding accommodation in Mont-Tremblant in August though. I can't imagine being on that course with that many participants.

I wonder how it affects my Legacy status, I don't really have the time to travel to another event this year so hopefully the fact that I was on the start line, in my wetsuit and ready to go that it will satisfy my 2023 race requirement :) I emailed them, hopefully hear back before it's too late!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
Great options for sure, might be difficult finding accommodation in Mont-Tremblant in August though. I can't imagine being on that course with that many participants.

I wonder how it affects my Legacy status, I don't really have the time to travel to another event this year so hopefully the fact that I was on the start line, in my wetsuit and ready to go that it will satisfy my 2023 race requirement :) I emailed them, hopefully hear back before it's too late!

I don't think it will be as crowded feeling as many think. The full wasn't going to have as many people as the half to begin with. You also have a lot of people that were already registered for the full, a lot that will be taking refunds, a lot that will defer to another race, etc.

As for accommodations, if you search on the tremblant site, there are still rooms available right in the pedestrian village. Not cheap, but not Placid level either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can still get rooms at the Westin and the Residence Inn on Marriott points so it’s not close to sold out yet.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply

Prev Next