Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled
Quote | Reply
Anyone following friends or relatives at 70.3 Mont Tremblant race has been cancelled due to forest fires and winds bringing severe smoke to venue.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [tilburydavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that’s quite the last minute decision! When did they send out the notification to race participants?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am figuring in the last 30-40mins as two of my pros called me about 10-15mins ago having been told pre their start.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend just texted me to say they were in transition getting ready to go when announced

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6:26 AM:

Quote:
In working with Provincial Health Authorities due to the Ash Alert and high concentrations of fine particles causing poor Air Quality Index (AQI) spreading across the Tremblant region, we regret to share that Sunday's IRONMAN 70.3 Mont-Tremblant triathlon has been cancelled for the safety of all involved. IRONMAN has strict safety benchmarks in place for air quality, which have not been met and the forecast does not suggest that AQI will improve throughout the day. It is always our priority to ensure the safety of our participants, spectators, volunteers, staff, and all others that are involved in the event. Athletes will be allowed to pick up their equipment between 6:30 AM - 8:00 AM. Athletes are asked to minimize their time outside and consider wearing a face covering.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Wow that’s quite the last minute decision! When did they send out the notification to race participants?

I learned that it was cancelled at 615am, walking over to the swim start and they started turning everyone back to transition. Nothing other than "everyone collect your bike and go home"

When you can taste the smoke in the air, it was the right decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely the right call. Fire situation in Canada is so unfortunate all around obviously; hopefully they see some strong rains soon. Will be interesting to see how things evolve the next few months. I'm racing the full in August.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [ttamrez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just called it off so everyone could watch Roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call. Not racing this year, but 100km south in Montreal AQI is through the roof, can't imagine how it is up north.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Montreal for the weekend and according to online measurements Montreal has, currently the most polluted air in the world.
Saturday was great, Sunday morning the Sun was orange.
Only people on the street are the smokers.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, guess I lucked out. I decided to skip MT after deferring a 70.3 registration from a race last year. I ended up with a big trip next week and MT was going to be too much travel in a short time. That really would have been a bummer to get all the way there and have it cancelled morning of.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Direction of wind or fire getting out of control? It’s a bummer but better safe than sorry for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was a big disappointment but likely the right call. When I looked outside at 5am it was very smoky and got gradually worse as the morning went on.

Some people pulled the plug voluntarily when they saw the conditions, and the cancellation was while we were waiting on beach for start.

Last edited by: TheRhino: Jun 25, 23 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that looks pretty bad. Sounds like they definitely made the right call. Not that this is a priority at this time, but I wonder if there any plans for IM offering a transfer/deferral to the athletes. I can’t imagine this will be easy given how many athletes were scheduled to race today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, and I agree with others that cancelling the event was the right call. In the IM announcement, they (IM) state" Ironman has strict safety benchmarks in place for air quality". I wonder exactly what those benchmarks are...I am just a bit skeptical that IM has such benchmarks.

I wonder what the refund policy is for something like this. Ironman certainly does not like to cancel events and will go to great lengths to avoid doing so (eg moving the 2021 WC from Kona to St George - held in May 2022 - where the Covid restrictions were less stringent than other places, but at the time, according to the Federal Government, the pandemic was still occurring), partly (maybe largely) to avoid having to issue refunds.
Quote Reply
Re: [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely made the right call, it was like standing around a bonfire this morning. Incredible how bad it got overnight. I actually thought it was fog until we stepped outside. Totally bummed I couldn’t race since it was my first one since 2019, but I could not imagine racing in those conditions.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the pics barely do it justice. Makes it look like it’s far away from the camera but per the other comments you could taste it in the air. Noticed a fair number of people coughing throughout the morning as well.

This was bike handlebars in the morning after a couple hours of the wind blowing the wrong way. Assume it got worse through morning and gives a sense of what you’d be breathing. Seat dusted with ask too.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not expecting any consideration (force majeure etc.) but would be nice. 🙃
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean? There better be at least free entry into 2024 or ability to transfer "today" to other 2023 70.3. At least that is what was done for all those "pandemic registrations".
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [SBR.NYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't expect this opinion to be shared widely, but I mean that I suspect if you read the TOS I accepted the risk of "act of god" type situations to interfere with a single day event that takes months to plan and execute, without recourse. Maybe they will be more considerate than that but I don't think they are obligated to. Prepared to be pleasantly surprised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way it sounded by the announcer was that Ironman would be in touch by email to offer options. I think at this point they are far enough down the road in their evolution to offer a deferral to another race. What happened certainly wasn't their fault, but it doesn't really have an additional cost to place us in to another race, just lost potential future revenue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
I don't expect this opinion to be shared widely, but I mean that I suspect if you read the TOS I accepted the risk of "act of god" type situations to interfere with a single day event that takes months to plan and execute, without recourse. Maybe they will be more considerate than that but I don't think they are obligated to. Prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

IM has generally been very good about offering other options. I don’t believe a refund is usually offered, but I was in New Orleans 2017 where there was a massive thunderstorm forcing cancellation, and then also was to race NC 70.3 that was cancelled due to Hurricane Florence. In both cases, IM offered multiple events within North America you could transfer to for somewhere around 12 months. Folks generally like to complain about IM, and some is warranted, but they’ve done more than required repeatedly when it comes to cancellations.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Mont Tremblant cancelled [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Def interested in the options... and good to hear a track record of being accommodating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using TOS logic, they could have canceled all pandemic events. (Surely that would have triggered court action but thats another point)

Also as a note.in 2020 I got full refund for IM Canada in Pentiction. so that was a pleasant surprise.

So thinking 2024 entry will be a decent outcome, and transfer is not out of question, muskoka, ohio, and some others are not even close to selling out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean - TOS is not logic, it's a contract, even if you retroactively regret the terms, but I get it. They choosing to be more accommodating than required is a good move in many ways if it's feasible. If they can absorb the athletes into empty slots at existing races why not try and recapture the goodwill. That would be great, all for it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next