Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

glute pain
Quote | Reply
I have this deep throbbing in my left glute. When I stand for a period of time if becomes very painful and I start to get tingling in my foot. No real sensation anywhere in the leg. Stretching and trying to roll it out with a foam roller or tennis ball doesn't seem to help much beyond some minor temporary relief. Anyone have any thoughts or guidance? I have an appointment with a physiatrist, but it's not for another two months due to appointment availability.
Quote Reply
Re: glute pain [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a lot of glute pain from sitting. Mine is due to hamstring/glute shutting down. Needling and trigger point ball offer temporary relief but it always comes back. When I run, it spreads to hip and back pain because my leg muscles have to overcompensate for poor glute activation.

I've finally fixed it with heavy weight lifting (squats at 4-6 rep max weight) and one legged squats from a chair. With the one legged squats, I try to get a chair low enough and a body position (upright, not leaning forward, no momentum) that makes it very hard to get that initial standing motion. With this, I can force my glute into activation. I do at least 5 of these per leg daily to maintain it and again before any run. I tried all the exercises a PT gave me, but none of them put nearly enough stress on the muscle to activate it.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it feel to walk or run?

Not to scare you, but there’s a lot of bone in the glute area, hip, femur, etc. I had a stress fracture on sacrum and it presented as glute discomfort. May not be the case for you but wanted to just mention it.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see an S&C coach works with runners cyclists triathletes etc.

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: glute pain [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look up sciatica and “flossing” if sciatica fits. As someone else said, do glute strengthening

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lateral band walks and monster walks... and oh while you're at it ...wall sits too!

I'd quit smashing the hell out of it on a roller / ball and yanking on it with stretches.

Gall
Last edited by: gall1972: May 30, 23 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked for advice on Slowtwitch on a similar matter about a year ago. Suffice to say Glute pain can be caused by many things. I couldn't sit in a car or at my desk for more than 20' without needing to walk around for a while.
I followed the advice given, or was already doing it. Nothing worked !!
Eventually the physio therapist I was using (to no avail) suggested I see an orthopedic surgeon who ordered an MRI.
I could see all sorts of problems in the photo, all of which the surgeon dismissed with a smile and then pointed to about 7 bulging discs.
The bulging causes pinching of the discs on their outer edges which squeezes the nerves which lead to the sciatic nerve, which threads down through the glute.
When I reported back to the physio he gave me a new exercise which stretched my vertebrae (simply hanging by the waist for 3 minutes which I did 3 times a week). After about 2 weeks I was comfortably sitting/ driving for 90 minutes.
I'm not a triathlete these days so cycling must be the cause. As you get older (68!) missing a stretching session is not an option.
Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: glute pain [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use one of these badboys!

Quote Reply
Re: glute pain [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gall1972 wrote:
I use one of these badboys!

WTF is that and what do you do with it?
I 've been having bad glute (and lower back and leg problem) for about a year. Curious to see everyone's response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got over a glute med starin myself. Go to PT, they'l help diagnosis it and get proper strength, stretching, etc on it.

Took about a solid month of no running at all for me to feel 100%.

Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you buy that? I've been hanging precariously from a table!
Quote Reply
Re: glute pain [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/lower-body/h-pnd/400593.html

When I bought it years ago it was under $500. It takes up a lot of space in my basement but it's a device that'll be used for a long long time and it helps so much.

Having said that... I find that using bands to do monster walks and lateral band walks and of course wall sits - added with using this monster of a machine, does the trick for a lot of weakness. I also squat and deadlift. But once I started concentrating on glute medius things started coming together. Of course being 51 now, I wish I'd known all this when I was in my thirties. I would of saved a ton of time and money on doctor's appointments and PT and wouldn't been sidelined with so many injuries in my 30's

Gall
Last edited by: gall1972: Jun 2, 23 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you share your weekly routine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlenorm wrote:
Would you share your weekly routine?
I would like to know the routine as well.
Quote Reply
Re: glute pain [trirocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do push, pull and legs. In no particular order on no particular days per week - with all kinds of different but mainly compound movements. I really don't count sets and reps anymore because it made lifting too complicated for me.

I just go into my home gym and shock the muscles into submission. The two things I do keep track of - I dont stay in the gym longer then 60 minutes at a time and I never go past 12 reps on any movement. If I'm able to get to 12, I stop collaborate and ....add more weight as needed.

For the reverse hyperextension I keep 90 pounds on it and just get on it and go until my form starts to fail and then I stop. Sometimes that's 30 seconds sometimes it's 2 minutes. I use it just about every day. That device is my yoga and platies all in one.

The logistics of the SBR is complicated enough for me, so I keep the weight training simple and fun without giving much thought.

Gall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything in here is bad medical advice. Glute pain should be assumed to be coming from the low back until ruled out. Strength deficits don’t hurt. “Nerve flossing” often times is more irritable than useful. I’m assuming this pain is relatively acute and non-traumatic in onset since you just posted to slowtwitch and didn’t report years of problems or other forms of onset. This qualifies as a problem for a physical therapist to resolve. Get a recommendation and go this week, you don’t even need a referral or prescription in most states.
Quote Reply