Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also thanks to the OP for putting together the collage. You realize, though, that the 'space filler" featured on some of the women in the pics is anatomical, not an aerodynamic feature, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
also thanks to the OP for putting together the collage. You realize, though, that the 'space filler" featured on some of the women in the pics is anatomical, not an aerodynamic feature, right?

Hadn't noticed. Sam Long has a large top than most of them from the pics though!
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Junk down the front works.

Ditlev has tested in the tunnel and velodrome so it undoubtedly works for him.

For me velodrome testing with blader down the front showed a massive 12w reduction at 45 kph (28 mph)

Yeah, as I mentioned to you before, I would’ve pushed back on that number until I started testing it myself.

We’re finishing up our testing on 10 athletes this week. Multiple bottle sizes, multiple positions, men and women, and will release a video soon. It’s a thing for sure. Size and positioning absolutely matter.

To someone else’s question, I think it will either be completely outlawed, which would be tough to justify, because then what else can’t you store in your jersey? Or, the rule will be it has to be useable with its own specific definition. You’ll need a straw, for instance.

Clothing manufacturers will have to design for it. It’s so good, people will demand it.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

For me velodrome testing with blader down the front showed a massive 12w reduction at 45 kph (28 mph)

Yeah, as I mentioned to you before, I would’ve pushed back on that number until I started testing it myself.

We’re finishing up our testing on 10 athletes this week. Multiple bottle sizes, multiple positions, men and women, and will release a video soon. It’s a thing for sure. Size and positioning absolutely matter.

To someone else’s question, I think it will either be completely outlawed, which would be tough to justify, because then what else can’t you store in your jersey? Or, the rule will be it has to be useable with its own specific definition. You’ll need a straw, for instance.

Clothing manufacturers will have to design for it. It’s so good, people will demand it.

i don't understand why you guys are so hot to talk about filling up that space between the bike and the chest, yet the KU is not part of your conversation. (or you just haven't grasped that this is the point of this bike.) that bike might work. it might not work. but that's one of the main features of that bike. if you watch somebody ride that bike, the dead space is now below the waist, and the frame, storage, hydration fills up that space in front of the rider's trunk.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

i don't understand why you guys are so hot to talk about filling up that space between the bike and the chest, yet the KU is not part of your conversation. (or you just haven't grasped that this is the point of this bike.) that bike might work. it might not work. but that's one of the main features of that bike. if you watch somebody ride that bike, the dead space is now below the waist, and the frame, storage, hydration fills up that space in front of the rider's trunk.

Could be because a couple empty plastic bottles are a little bit cheaper than a 12K bike.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because: $.99

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Seriously, though. I think we're talking about two very different ways of handling airflow. I suspect the bottle works much better at directing air smoothly around the body. But, hey, let's test it; I'll happily be wrong. Is that piece removable on the Ku? Let's test with it, without it, and with two different bottle sizes. See what we get. C'mon Old Man, get your ass out of the desert and drive south for 60 minutes. It'll be fun.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

Could be because a couple empty plastic bottles are a little bit cheaper than a 12K bike.[/quote]
do you know what's even cheaper than a couple of empty plastic bottles? ideas, and the ability to discuss them. one thing has stood me in good stead in my professional life. i'm not that smart, but i have an imagination that is not constrained by the way things have always been.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
After Ryf's use of that old Speedo wetsuit at the Collin's Cup, the IM rules (2023) have been tweaked (iaw earlier WT rules) on wetsuits:
4.02 (g) The most external part of the wetsuit will fit to the athlete’s body tightly while they
are swimming; (DSQ) [Comments: Should be 'shall' not 'will' btw. Not sure why you need "while they are swimming".]

To ban bladders and whatever down the front inside the trisuit a similar simple rule could be employed
e.g. 'The most external part of the racing garment shall fit to the athlete’s body tightly while they are riding; (DSQ)'
If athletes try to 'fill the space' with articles outside the suit, I suspect the drag saved/generated will offer no net benefit (would need to be tested obv).
[Comment: The "while they are riding" clause is needed so athletes who want to change to a loose fitting running top, can.]

Seems to me any woman tempted to achieve this marginal (thorax expansion) gain will be deterred by the aesthetics, from both an objective (what will my peers think?) and a subjective (do I want to look like this on a bike?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't pretend to have your knowledge of that bike, but looking at the attached pic, not seeing how the frame is filling in the red circled area that folks are filling in with jersey bottles etc??
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When Ditlev tested, did he take in a stack of various sized Tupperware bowls?

I don't know that a rule needs to be implemented. This is something being tried and tested IRL. No one is getting a substantial benefit - like winning. And may realize they are doing more harm than good i.e. heating effect. This too will pass.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone know if a bladder down the front is legal in USA Cycling time trials?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next