Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front
Quote | Reply
Thought this was a fun gallery link I came across.
https://www.flashframe.io/...2261/all/all/0/#/20/

You can see several side view photos of every racer sequentially in St George.

A few things jumped out: the number of leg sleeves on men vs women. The junk down the front on some of the men.

Image uploaded was hard to use so I had to make a collage of screen shots. But it's fun to click through the gallery and see all the setups.

What do we think of filling that void space? Should I patent a tri suit with an inflatable air bladder in the front to give everyone a nice belly?
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe airbags really do have a place in cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know why Lionel didn't use his TT helmet? He wore that sucker all week but did not race with it! Seems like an odd choice for a coldish bike leg to go with the "road aero" helmet.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TT helmet broke in T1.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Does anyone know why Lionel didn't use his TT helmet? He wore that sucker all week but did not race with it! Seems like an odd choice for a coldish bike leg to go with the "road aero" helmet.

I think he damaged it getting into his van.
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
The TT helmet broke in T1.

I wonder how it broke. I took a picture of him at T1 while I was waiting to start and his TT helmet is right there with him looking just fine. Maybe he stepped on it?! :-)

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently a volunteer moved it during the swim or something and everything was thrown off. Sounds like the strap wasn't fitting and then it slipped while he was fiddling with it and hit the ground, losing the tail in the process.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Apparently a volunteer moved it during the swim or something and everything was thrown off. Sounds like the strap wasn't fitting and then it slipped while he was fiddling with it and hit the ground, losing the tail in the process.

Holy crap, between that and his chain dropping at the top of Snow Canyon it was not his day. On the other hand...congrats Ben Deal on an amazing race! And congrats on getting a spot at Worlds. Great day for you for sure.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oof that picture comparison does not do Tomas any justice after the last thread discussing his bike lagging behind. Another good performance by him but that picture definitely shows a big difference in comparison to the competition. Hopefully that caught him at a bad time, but still.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone get that one pro an actual tri bike. Geez... even his road bike position stinks.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
Oof that picture comparison does not do Tomas any justice after the last thread discussing his bike lagging behind. Another good performance by him but that picture definitely shows a big difference in comparison to the competition. Hopefully that caught him at a bad time, but still.

Thought the same thing and wandered if he was worried about coming up in the draft zone of whoever was in front of him so he sat up?

And ya, random male pro pulling a Taylor Knib raised an eyebrow. He kinda looks like he's a fast age groupers crushing it and having the time of his life from the photo. Had to zoom in his number and double check!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leg sleeves I can take. Stuff down the chest is ridiculous. Ditlev pulled out what I swear was a square Tupperware bowl in Ibiza. What happened to the idea of "cooling". That's got to be hot. But I don't like the Specialized chin straps or Blu's bike. So maybe I'm just gettin grumpy

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Found this photo in his IG. He switched the round bottle for an aero one at least. I don’t know what else they changed.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: May 9, 23 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [CNullATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CNullATX wrote:
Leg sleeves I can take. Stuff down the chest is ridiculous. Ditlev pulled out what I swear was a square Tupperware bowl in Ibiza. What happened to the idea of "cooling". That's got to be hot. But I don't like the Specialized chin straps or Blu's bike. So maybe I'm just gettin grumpy

I love Blu's bike! Tupperware on the other hand...

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another angle:
Last edited by: TulkasTri: May 9, 23 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
What do we think of filling that void space? Should I patent a tri suit with an inflatable air bladder in the front to give everyone a nice belly?

Personally, I find the veggie thick crust at Domenico's a much more effective (and enjoyable) way to fill up that space...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Junk down the front works.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Ditlev has tested in the tunnel and velodrome so it undoubtedly works for him.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Personally, I find the veggie thick crust at Domenico's a much more effective (and enjoyable) way to fill up that space...

Unfortunately, it comes with the muffin top which counteracts the Tupperware effect. Ask me how I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

For me velodrome testing with blader down the front showed a massive 12w reduction at 45 kph (28 mph)

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek still makes the nicest tri bike! The speed concept just looks fast! Still a lot of riders on the SC.
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

For me velodrome testing with blader down the front showed a massive 12w reduction at 45 kph (28 mph)

I did outdoor testing with DesertDude and it was a slight improvement for me. Enough to do it in a race and remove bottles from my frame.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Position & setup of every bike in St George - Lotta junk down the front [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AND his legs aren’t even shaved SMH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:

It is misleading because he got off the aerobars. Based on his IG account, he has been working on getting more aero and making a bit of progress according to him. The kid can bike ok, he is already hitting 5 w/kg for a 70.3 bike split. If only he could work with an expert and some wind tunnel testing, I am willing to bet he could save several minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really curious about who and how the industry will commodify this recent trend. Will it end up being a strap-on spacefiller (be it bladder, balloon, or something else) that the rider puts on over their jersey for the bike split? Or will trisuit makers create suits with, say, an extra front (that kinda doubles up the current zip front of suits as we know them) to have a purpose-built bottle holder? In either case, there's no way that the industry will leave money on the table given these findings and the profile that this practice has gained.

What jumps out to me is the problem that the current "stuff a few bottles in there" practice creates by stretching the bejeezus out of a $400 aero race suit: I think it was Cody Beals who did some tunnel testing on a aero trisuit that had been used a small number of times, and even that infrequent use had diminished the aero savings that a new, and used-as-designed tight fitting suit promised to provide. I can't imagine stuffing a cubic foot of extra volume is going to do anything for longevity of the elastane / nylon / spandex / whatever.
Quote Reply

Prev Next