Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

A 12 hour training week for is 3 hours swim, 6 hours bike, 3 hours run. I can't find that amount of time every week, but leading up to Penticton I am trying to hit that most weeks.[/quote]
If you can keep your 10h per week year round and have a 4-6 week 13-15h build with mainly bike volume ramp my guess is that would do it.

The correct answer though is more volume as hard as it is to accept that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:

Age 48; Weight 158 pounds this morning; 10 years in the sport, first IM 2015; 9-12 hours per week training; 2009 Cervelo P2 with HED deep-rim front wheel and brand-new FLO deep-rim rear wheel (haven't raced on the FLO wheel yet).

if you don't have a smart trainer, get one. then stick to the trainer road training plan that matches your time availability and stop pondering over. have fun!
Last edited by: jollyroger88: May 9, 23 0:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've raced three IM and you've improved by 97 minutes. You want to shave off another 13 minutes.

In all likelihood, the only thing you need to do is another race. Having another year of training in the legs and more race experience will most probably prove the difference.

Or more training miles. Either more commitment in your off-season, a few more run miles each week, or some additional time in the saddle.

Sometimes we look for complex solutions in this sport, when answers can be remarkably simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pulled it off — i just switched from penticton to Texas
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:

Time to start thinking about sub 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience these are things that helped me improve:
- Race selection. It needs to suit your strengths and needs to be a fast one. The difference between slower races like Lanzarote and the fastest like Florida or Barcelona are huge.
- Consistency. If you are consistent with training over multiple years you'll get better
- Frequency. If you train more often you will improve. Going from 2/2/2 to 3/3/3/ or 4/4/4
- Volume. With more volume you will improve. Tracking how you spend your time might help you optimise and finding more time.
- Manage intensity. Have high intensity but not too much. Too much will get you injured or sick. Consistency is the most important thing.
- Get a coach if you don't have one.
- Better equipment can get you a lot of speed on the bike
- Better pacing at the race (don't swim or bike too hard)
- Better race nutrition (a little more liquids, a lot more carbs. 90g of carbs per hour or more)
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: May 9, 23 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
From my experience these are things that helped me improve:
- Race selection. It needs to suit your strengths and needs to be a fast one. The difference between slower races like Lanzarote and the fastest like Florida or Barcelona are huge.
- Consistency. If you are consistent with training over multiple years you'll get better
- Frequency. If you train more often you will improve. Going from 2/2/2 to 3/3/3/ or 4/4/4
- Volume. With more volume you will improve. Tracking how you spend your time might help you optimise and finding more time.
- Manage intensity. Have high intensity but not too much. Too much will get you injured or sick. Consistency is the most important thing.
- Get a coach if you don't have one.
- Better equipment can get you a lot of speed on the bike
- Better pacing at the race (don't swim or bike too hard)
- Better race nutrition (a little more liquids, a lot more carbs. 90g of carbs per hour or more)

I'd say this pretty much sums it up. Maybe the only thing I'd add is to treat rest and post-workout nutrition as part of your training, especially as you get close to you limit in terms of volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked my golf pro, "How can I lower my score by 10 strokes?" He said, "Quit on 17." :)

Looks like you can get there.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
you get your best bang for buck in running... 30 miles is even low. perhaps train for an open marathon that takes place 2 months before the IM... typical bq person does about 50mpw+

I like this answer. Just run more.

Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:

I wish this was an option! Penticton is a two hour drive. The race is so convenient and works out way cheaper for me than any other options (no flight, less time in hotels, no time off work etc.). Ironman is already so expensive and fairly hard to justify putting money into (I have nine children and the first two are now in university, so margins are tight). Ideally I would love to travel to races, it's just not an option right now. I even got a roll-down spot for Nice but had to turn it down for financial reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ever get the luxury to do it, texas felt like a half ironman compared to the monster's of whistler and penticton -- probably because im a heavier dude. completely different race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:

I like this answer. Just run more.

At the moment I run three or four times a week: two or three lunchtime runs of 4-5 miles, then a longer weekend run (9 miles last weekend). I have to be careful when I increase run volume as I've had ankle and knee problems in the past, but there is definitely room for more mileage in my week, and it is far easier to fit in to my schedule than extra swimming or biking. Of all the suggestions so far, this seems like the most doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
I have nine children.

Easy answer....spend fewer "resources" on the wife...LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
randomtriguy wrote:

I wish this was an option! Penticton is a two hour drive. The race is so convenient and works out way cheaper for me than any other options (no flight, less time in hotels, no time off work etc.). Ironman is already so expensive and fairly hard to justify putting money into (I have nine children and the first two are now in university, so margins are tight). Ideally I would love to travel to races, it's just not an option right now. I even got a roll-down spot for Nice but had to turn it down for financial reasons.

In the US it currently costs $233,610 to raise one child and that doesn't include college tuition. So $2.1 million if you're in the US. I have zero kids but still find ways to part with my money. Ironman takes some of that. It is indeed very expensive to do this sport and travel to fun destinations, even with just the two of us. 9 kids.....you must have a good marriage ;)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply

Prev Next