Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11?
Quote | Reply
For those of you who have managed to improve your Ironman time from around 13 hours to under 11, what were the most important changes you made that allowed you to get to the next level? Could be training changes (volume, intensity, frequency etc) OR race day changes.

(My first Ironman was 12:49 and last year I managed 11:12. I want to break 11 hours this year and am looking for some tips on how to get there.)
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having your S/B/R splits would help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing your splits, you’re probably looking at something like 1:15 / 5:45 / 3:50 and 10 min of transitions. You’ll want at least a sub 3:15 open marathon and a good aero position on the bike, and plenty of calories on race day in order to not blow up. I think most people lose a ton of time on the run due to not managing calorie intake properly, moreso than pacing too hard on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:

Sure. Swim 1:08, Bike 5:51, Run 4:03.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age? Weight? How long in the sport? How many hours per week do you train? Bike setup?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Age? Weight? How long in the sport? How many hours per week do you train? Bike setup?

Age 48; Weight 158 pounds this morning; 10 years in the sport, first IM 2015; 9-12 hours per week training; 2009 Cervelo P2 with HED deep-rim front wheel and brand-new FLO deep-rim rear wheel (haven't raced on the FLO wheel yet).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

Age 48; Weight 158 pounds this morning; 10 years in the sport, first IM 2015; 9-12 hours per week training; 2009 Cervelo P2 with HED deep-rim front wheel and brand-new FLO deep-rim rear wheel (haven't raced on the FLO wheel yet).

Based on what you wrote here, it seems like the most straightforward answer to your question is to train more. 12-15 hours per week, rather than 9-12, would probably do the trick. But, of course, a lot depends on how you train. There's a lot of details missing too. How did the races unfold? What were the courses and conditions? For instance, if your 11:12 was IMWI, my advice is to do IMFL. That's a good 30 minutes right there. What is your nutrition strategy and did you stick to it? What are your stand-alone times for the marathon or half marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:

Based on what you wrote here, it seems like the most straightforward answer to your question is to train more. 12-15 hours per week, rather than 9-12, would probably do the trick. But, of course, a lot depends on how you train. There's a lot of details missing too. How did the races unfold? What were the courses and conditions? For instance, if your 11:12 was IMWI, my advice is to do IMFL. That's a good 30 minutes right there. What is your nutrition strategy and did you stick to it? What are your stand-alone times for the marathon or half marathon?

The races were all IM Canada (first two in Whistler, third in Penticton). I'll be racing Penticton again this year and my goal is sub-11 on that course. I'm sure there are faster courses out there, but I don't have the budget right now to fly to a race (I can drive to Penticton in a couple of hours).

Nutrition strategy was Clif Bars and Gatorade on the bike; then Maurten gels, salt tabs, water on the run. I mostly used on-course nutrition, but brought my own Clif Bars. I ate six of them during the six-hour bike.

A 12 hour training week for is 3 hours swim, 6 hours bike, 3 hours run. I can't find that amount of time every week, but leading up to Penticton I am trying to hit that most weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely bump up the volume to a minimum of 16 hours with most of the added time devoted to cycling. Get your bike stronger and that should improve your bike and you’ll be in better shape for the run. Swim time is decent. Is that a comfortable 1:08 or are you killing yourself on the swim? What race did you do last year?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike...Bike....Bike

Swim is respectable and run is respectable and will get better if you bike faster.
Others may disagree. May be position/fit, may be conditioning may be strength, but it ain't the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which version of IMC did you find easier?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Definitely bump up the volume to a minimum of 16 hours with most of the added time devoted to cycling. Get your bike stronger and that should improve your bike and you’ll be in better shape for the run. Swim time is decent. Is that a comfortable 1:08 or are you killing yourself on the swim? What race did you do last year?

As long as it's a wetsuit swim, the 1:08 is a comfortable cruising pace. I did IMC Penticton last year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Which version of IMC did you find easier?

I found Penticton easier, but I was better prepared for that one. Whistler was beautiful, although it snowed at the top of Callaghan during the bike, which was less beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are definitely capable of this and your previous experience is valuable. A 400-500 mile week on the bike at 7-6 weeks out and at least three 50+ mile weeks of running in your peak training period. Sub 11 is a great goal but you need to push beyond 15 hours per week for your biggest training weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

That is 11:02 right there, granted you need to add transitions.

Your bike split stands out as the weakest link.

If you are a typical AGer, smart decisions can probably take a chunk of time off.

What kind of power do you race at ?
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STRINATION wrote:
You are definitely capable of this and your previous experience is valuable. A 400-500 mile week on the bike at 7-6 weeks out and at least three 50+ mile weeks of running in your peak training period. Sub 11 is a great goal but you need to push beyond 15 hours per week for your biggest training weeks.

400-500 miles of bike training for me is about 20-25 hours. I just don't have that amount of time for training.
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
samtridad wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

If you are a typical AGer, smart decisions can probably take a chunk of time off.

I don't have a power meter, so I don't know what my power is. I've been going by RPE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
marcag wrote:
samtridad wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

I don't have a power meter, so I don't know what my power is. I've been going by RPE.

Bingo. Invest in a power meter and use it to focus your bike training and I’ll all but guarantee a sub 11.

Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
samtridad wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

Isn’t Penticton a pretty hilly course? That would be a top 10% bike at courses like WI/LP, but would need closer to 3:50 run for that.
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
marcag wrote:
samtridad wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

Isn’t Penticton a pretty hilly course? That would be a top 10% bike at courses like WI/LP, but would need closer to 3:50 run for that.

I was exactly at the 10% line for both bike split and run split; they were both right at 150th/1500 racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What tires do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volume: If you're able to hang out at 12 hours/week or even 12-15 hours/week you should be able to get there. What's your weekly running mileage?

I would keep the swim wherever it is now. Marginal gains for the amount of investment. The bike/run have the most room for improvement. I would pick volume over quality but in terms of quality think specificity. A lot of people training for the 140.6 distance are hammering a bike session @ ~Sprint effort each week without a ton of volume. Aim for 2 bike workouts/week. 1 mid-week threshold session with good volume and your long ride (build from 1.5-4ish hours @ 140.6 during the training plan).
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What tires do you use?

Conti GP5000 at the last IM.
Quote Reply
Re: IM: How to go from sub-13 to sub-11? [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Volume: If you're able to hang out at 12 hours/week or even 12-15 hours/week you should be able to get there. What's your weekly running mileage?

3 hours of running equates to around 20 miles per week at the moment. I'm planning to push that up to around 30 miles per week over the next few weeks. I tend to pick up ankle/knee injuries if I run much more than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you get your best bang for buck in running... 30 miles is even low. perhaps train for an open marathon that takes place 2 months before the IM... typical bq person does about 50mpw+
Quote Reply

Prev Next