Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrat steve!!!! that s exciting!!! a Steve of all trades!!!

Thank you, Jonny!

I started off doing this Announcing work ONLY in Triathlon. But to be honest with you, the triathlon market was much too small in Canada to make a Full-Time go of this - so I expanded to running and cycling races/events. That also lead to Announcing for Track & Field Meets, and Live Stream Commentary for RunnerSpace for Track & Field.

When the Pan Am Velodrome opened near Toronto - I became kind of the House Announcer for Track Cycling there - that lead to offers from Cycling Canada to Announce at National Track Cycling Championships, UCI World Cups, the 2020 UCI Para Track Cycling World Championships.

Also many doors in running and cycling have opened in the U.S. for me. I'm off again this weekend to Announce at a big Gran Fondo Event in Las Vegas!

Now one of the things I am proud of is my versatility. This year, I will Announce or Commentate at nine National Championships in the U.S. and Canada across Track Cycling, Road Cycling, Gravel, Road Running, Track & Field, Cross Country and Triathlon

I wish there was more opportunities in Triathlon - it's where I got my start, and I love the sport!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 3, 23 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Steve, hope to see you there.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, Congratulations!

I know you've put in some serious time and effort on this true labor of love over the years! So glad to see you get the recognition you deserve!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good's stuff Steve. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm off to Glasgow in less than a week for the first ever UCI Super World Cycling Championships - but first I have to get through 4-days of Commentary for the Canadian Track & Field Championships for RunnerSpace!

Deep in research for the Track Cycling World Championships. If you will be in Glasgow - I hope that you have Tickets to the Track Cycling action at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome - my home for a week of Live Announcing, and watching the best and the fastest cyclists in the world!

Really looking forward to this!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s so cool! Thanks for sharing

Some of my most vivid sport memories are accompanied by the announcer… I still remember the words

Whether it’s major sporting events on TV, crossing a finish line, or just spectating

Congrats on having the opportunity to do it on such a big scale!
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations are in order! I am not sure I've been to a race you've announced, but if you've made it this far, then you've done a recognizable job at it & well deserved. I wish you all the best & without trying you'll certainly ST proud!

Thank you for that.

Will try and squeeze come comments in about Slowtwitch if I can! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok? I'd like to announce i've just obtained a part time job at Costco.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I'm off to Glasgow in less than a week for the first ever UCI Super World Cycling Championships - but first I have to get through 4-days of Commentary for the Canadian Track & Field Championships for RunnerSpace!

Deep in research for the Track Cycling World Championships. If you will be in Glasgow - I hope that you have Tickets to the Track Cycling action at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome - my home for a week of Live Announcing, and watching the best and the fastest cyclists in the world!

I was there yesterday evening (3 Aug) and I remembered you’d posted here about your announcing, so just wanted to drop in and say welcome to Scotland and sorry about the weather (honestly, it’s usually quite pleasant in July)!

Assuming you’re the only Canadian on the announcing team I guess you were on the mike during the session I attended. If so, you and your colleague did a nice job. I was there with my wife - who isn’t really into endurance sports but comes along sometimes - so it’s great for her if the announcing team cater for the casual observer (not least as it saves them having to hear their partner explain things) … and that’s not always easy given some of the quirks of track cycling. So, well done and hope you enjoy the rest of the week.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [EuroTrash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EuroTrash wrote:

Or just accept the fact that people reading the Slowtwitch forums value Fleck's inputs enough to care.

Not so much yours, I suspect.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [EuroTrash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EuroTrash wrote:

Living up to your username, I see.

I think it's interesting to get a bunch of different perspectives on here. Athletes. Pros. RD's. Announcers. There's space for everyone, eurotrash.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
EuroTrash wrote:

Living up to your username, I see.

I think it's interesting to get a bunch of different perspectives on here. Athletes. Pros. RD's. Announcers. There's space for everyone, eurotrash.

eTrash jelly caause his own life so shit.

I remember buying a wetsuit (i think a 19?) off Steve wayy back when he was a rep. It was the mid 2000s and he was doing a demo day up at Meech Lake ..20 min north of ottawa. It was the best buoyancy $ could buy. I was a crap swimmer and i swear it shaved a couple minutes off a 2 k swim. Still have it sitting in closet. Hasnt been worn since my last race..a Half in August of 2009!! ..which was also some 40 lbs ago:) .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Hope you are having fun and not too tired from all the work in Glasgow !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [Chowders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you’re the only Canadian on the announcing team I guess you were on the mike during the session I attended. If so, you and your colleague did a nice job. I was there with my wife - who isn’t really into endurance sports but comes along sometimes - so it’s great for her if the announcing team cater for the casual observer

It's always a balance - we need to keep the real devotees and huge fans involved with a good dose of all the data and stuff they want, but also understanding, and talking to many who are in the audience who have NEVER been to see Track Cycling before. A casual show of hands on this group at this mornings session of who was watching Track Cycling for the first time was 25% to 30%.

I think it's PARTICULARLY important in cycling to make sure EVERYONE feels welcome. There is a tendency to talk with Inside Baseball type of knowledge that will go right over many people's heads and make them feel like outsiders!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve is a great guy who does an excellent job at events.

You may also enjoy his twitter feed @stevefleck

He is very concerned with bike safety in Toronto and has run for elected office, where I hope he can get elected and effect some positive change!

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply

Prev Next