Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Personal Professional Announcement
Quote | Reply
At the risk of some self promotion - a bit of a personal Professional Announcement:

I was recently asked by the UCI to be part of the Live Venue Announcing Team for Track Cycling for the 2023 UCI World Cycling Championships, this August in Glasgow Scotland. This will be the first time that the UCI pulls all their cycling disciplines with exception of Cyclocross into one World Championships. The plan is to make this a once every 4 year celebration of cycling!

I am extraordinarily humbled and honored to have this opportunity!

For me personally it's been a long journey to get to this. I have many people and entities to thank - starting with the legendary original Announcer at Ironman Canada Steve King who many years ago, extended an offer to me to join him on the mic at IMC. Thank you to Mike Reilly, who while I have never formally worked with, really invented the role of the modern Professional Live Endurance Sports Race/Event Announcer. Mike has become and great friend and mentor and I have learned a great deal from listening to him many times over the years. Thank you to John Salt, Jason Vurma and the Team at Multisport Canada who I signed my first legit Professional Announcing contract with back in the early 2010's for their Triathlon Series. Thank you to Randy Ferguson, one of the truly great Live Announcers in Cycling who I was really lucky to be partnered with early on at races like the Tour of Alberta, The Canadian Track Cycling Championships, the Canadian Cyclocross Championships, and three UCI Track Cycling World Cups. I learned a MASSIVE amount working along side Randy. Thank you to Cycling Canada, for all of the Announcing opportunities in Cycling and for the support behind the scenes with the World Championships opportunity. Thank you to FloSports/FloBikes for the Commentary opportunities in Pro Cycling and to RunnerSpace for all of the Track & Field Commentary work over the last number of years. And thank you to EVERY Race/Event Director for having the faith to put the mic in my hand for them and bring their race/event to life - it's ALL been part of the amazing journey to get to this level and this opportunity with the UCI.

Finally - thank you to all of the die hard, hard core cycling fans, pundits and aficionados here on the Slowtwitch Forum - the cycling banter is always fun and I always learn something!

On a side note this is extra special for me and my wife Paolina. She was born in East Kilbride, just outside of Glasgow, and she still has family living in the area. Paolina will be joining me and she will be racing herself in the UCI Gran Fondo Championships on the road (the World Championships for non-Professional riders) 50+ Age-Category in Glasgow!

Onward! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 29, 23 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the title, I thought this might be Laidlow's first ST post.
Many congrats and enhoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, this is super exciting. I know from you how hard and lean the times were during the pandemic with no events to do your profession at. Celebrate this win. You'll have a great time with more to come!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work Steve!

I don’t do what you do, but I know your line of work involves innumerable hours of no pay investment.

Glad to see it paying off!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations and well deserved.

And if you get stuck on an elevator in Glasgow, this could be why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbDnxzrbxn4&t=15s&ab_channel=TheScottishComedyChannel

One I will learn how to show a youtube video
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Apr 29, 23 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats - keep us in the loop as to how it goes down as it approaches!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send it! You'l do great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, very cool news!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats & good luck, from Scotland. Depending on which session(s) you are on, I may even hear you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Steve for all you have done locally for the triathlon community. As a southern Ontario athlete who started in the early 2010’s you are my “Mike Reilly”. I was lucky enough to have Mike announce a couple of my Ironmans but I always remember your voice announcing me in Gravenhurst during my early years. You are very good at what you do and it is appreciated by the athletes you announced to. Good luck in the future and thank you for posting here from your perspective.over the years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VERY happy for you!

Well deserved for sure
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve, this is super exciting. I know from you how hard and lean the times were during the pandemic with no events to do your profession at.

I'll not kid you - it was REALLY hard to straight up have at least a year and a half of work and income just wiped out! But that which does not break you make you stronger! The bounce back last year and this year has been very strong. I never gave up hope. I continually and relentlessly stayed engaged with Clients and Prospects and acted as a resource and advocate for the Endurance Sports Race/Event Business as a whole!

It was somewhat similar for your business, Dev. You started it just ahead of the pandemic, and I am sure you had some challenging moments. Buut I know now you are doing really well. Best wishes for continued success!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Steve! After seeing the job you did in Dallas at the Multisport Festival easy to see why this was a good choice for UCI

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrat steve!!!! that s exciting!!! a Steve of all trades!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy. Sounds great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well deserved.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
super cool, congrats

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Steve!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, congratulations, Steve! I'm sure it'll go great. I assume it'll be televised?
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [jhsandchs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Steve for all you have done locally for the triathlon community. As a southern Ontario athlete who started in the early 2010’s you are my “Mike Reilly”. I was lucky enough to have Mike announce a couple of my Ironmans but I always remember your voice announcing me in Gravenhurst during my early years. You are very good at what you do and it is appreciated by the athletes you announced to. Good luck in the future and thank you for posting here from your perspective.over the years.

Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words!

Will I be seeing you at some Multisport Canada races this summer?

Quote Reply
Re: Personal Professional Announcement [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Steve! After seeing the job you did in Dallas at the Multisport Festival easy to see why this was a good choice for UCI

Hey old friend - Great to see you in Dallas.

Thanks for the kind words here.

Where have the years gone by. For others tuning in - Mike and I ran against one another in the Steeplechase in High School in the Toronto area back in the late 1970's. That's why we were years later eventually destined to get into Triathlon - because only the crazy people ran the S/C! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news, congratulations!!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations are in order! I am not sure I've been to a race you've announced, but if you've made it this far, then you've done a recognizable job at it & well deserved. I wish you all the best & without trying you'll certainly ST proud!
Quote Reply

Prev Next