Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Montpellier cancelled
Quote | Reply
Not been any coverage of this. Just over 2 months notice.

https://challenge-montpellier.com/...allenge-montpellier/

Not seen the transfer options but apparently if you ask for a refund you only get 65%.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case you're a EU citizen (not sure about everywhere else), I'm pretty sure a 65% refund won't be legal (if indeed true). Would be a pretty easy way to earn money if you could just cancel whatever people bought and keep 35%.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guarantee you the race organizer made zilch.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the risk vs reward in a capitalist free market economy that many subscribe to and repeatedly vote for.

If it was paid in credit card, claim it back from them and let the CC Co argue it out with the commercial organisation who hasn't delivered on what was being purchased.

(Imagine if you'd bought a washing machine or car and you were subsequently told "ahh no, you're just getting 2/3 back as we've spent on design and manufacturing tools but hey, we can't be making the machine or car now so thanks for the 200 Euro or 15,000 euro anyway, we're offđź‘Ť".)
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Feb 23, 23 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
That's the risk vs reward in a capitalist free market economy that many subscribe to and repeatedly vote for.

Oh absolutely, just stating a simple fact that by keeping the 35% the organizer did not turn a profit.

There's also a difference between being unable to put on the event and never having planned to put on the event (all the while collecting fees).

Should the organizer refund 100% in both cases? Absolutely.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
In case you're a EU citizen (not sure about everywhere else), I'm pretty sure a 65% refund won't be legal (if indeed true). Would be a pretty easy way to earn money if you could just cancel whatever people bought and keep 35%.

If you paid by credit card I am certain you will get your money back.

Not sure about EU law but I know there is a group on FB who look like they are going to try and do a class action type recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are also rushing us to make a decision. It says "Please fill out this form to advise us whether you would like a refund or transfer and to which race. Please complete this before Friday 3 March, many thanks. If we do not hear from you by this date, we will assume you have chosen not to take one of the above options." I took that as if I don't have a decision by this friday I get nothing? They are really rushing this and won't reply to my emails and are ignoring the issue on social media. Honestly screw this company.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [E1ghtball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really bad for the image of the Challenge Family, which prides itself at putting athletes first (allegedly - plus it's my experience that they do).

Why don't you write to their CEO Zibi Szlufcik, and I mean this seriously. Probably it's a local organizer of a licensed race just pushing it. I assume the CEO may be fine with there not being a 100% refund, but I don't think he'd accept this approach where if you don't write back very quickly, you get nothing.

The e-mail address is in public domain (this file, for example), it's zibi (at) challenge-family.com. He seems like a dude who genuinely gives a shit (also, he always visits and speaks at the Challenge Family race in my country).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E1ghtball wrote:
They are also rushing us to make a decision. It says "Please fill out this form to advise us whether you would like a refund or transfer and to which race. Please complete this before Friday 3 March, many thanks. If we do not hear from you by this date, we will assume you have chosen not to take one of the above options." I took that as if I don't have a decision by this friday I get nothing? They are really rushing this and won't reply to my emails and are ignoring the issue on social media. Honestly screw this company.

Interesting that there isn't much discussion on this. There would be 20 pages of people losing their shit if it were a WTC race...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an affected athlete who is familiar with most of the aspects of the situation, I may be able to clarify a number of things. I consider this mostly a failure fully attributable to the unprofessionalism of Challenge Family GmbH which will surely be repeated as they do not seem to willing to make the steps needed in this field. I will try to be succinct, so if there are any questions, feel free to ask.

• While the event was first published on 3 May 2022, no permit application was filed until 20 November 2022. Which application was denied within one week. Registration for the event was still possible for a short while after.

• A class action is already ongoing in France, in which both the organiser, Occitri Events SAS and Challenge Family GmbH are held liable. The legal proceedings seek a full refund as well as damages for the accommodation costs, travel costs, and 100 euros in “moral damages”.

• The organiser was Occitri Events SAS, which was licensed by Challenge Family GmbH to use the Challenge brand name for the event. Challenge GmbH has since publicly stated in an email by the CEO (Jort Vlam, as Zibi Szlufcik is the president. The entire legal structure of Challenge Family is a mess, which is another issue entirely.) that they are not liable for their events as they only license the use of their brand name, and that they consider themselves another victim of the situation. It seems like Challenge Family GmbH does not conduct any due diligence into their organisers whatsoever, and they simply collect the licence fee. Naturally, this situation is legally untenable.

• One of reasons only 65% of the funds is allegedly still available is the payment of the licence fee to Challenge Family GmbH for the use of the Challenge Family brand name. This was stated by the organiser.

• Challenge Family GmbH is a minority shareholder in Occitri Events SAS.

• It is entirely unclear with which legal entity the registration agreement was concluded. We strongly suspect that this is actually Challenge Family GmbH. We also suspect that they collected the funds. We do know for certain that email addresses entered into the Google Form to request the refund have been shared with Challenge Family GmbH as these persons received a separate email from the CEO.

• If you are affected and wish to join the class action, this is the Facebook group with more information. The lawyer involved is also very active here. You can also find proof of my statements here in the form of chats or emails. https://www.facebook.com/...931924850/?ref=share

• Email from the CEO Jort Vlam, sent only to the persons who completed the Google Form to request the refund as far I've been able to determine.

Quote:
Dear XXXXX

We share your disappointment, frustration and anger around the cancellation of Challenge Montpellier. You have been let down and for that we apologise and we continue to do all we can to alleviate the issue moving forwards. As Challenge Family, we strongly disagree with the 65% refund and we have been pushing on Occitri Events on behalf of the athletes to try and improve the outcome.
While we are not able to provide any updates at this stage, you will receive your 65% refund from Occitri Events as requested and Challenge Family would also like to offer you 35% off any French race in 2024. We acknowledge the disappointing situation you find yourself in, through no fault of your own, and this gesture is not intended to be part of the refund. If you’d like to take up this offer, please use the following discount code on registering for a race of Fréjus, Cagnes sur Mer or Vieux Boucau: XXXX for 2023 and XXXX for 2024 (possible once registration opens).
Most Challenge Family races are run by independent licensees, and this includes Montpellier. The way Occitri Events has managed Challenge Montpellier is not a reflection on other Challenge Family races. They are run by passionate and dedicated independent organisers who should not be judged by Occitri Event’s actions.

We acknowledge we failed you in our duty to ensure the Montpellier licensee was performing to our standards and again, we apologise. An urgent review has implemented processes to prevent this happening again in the future.

We understand your confidence in Challenge Family has wavered, but we hope we can rebuild that trust. We will keep you up to date with any further developments regarding Challenge Montpellier’s cancellation and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch directly with us.

Yours in sport

Jort Vlam
CEO - Challenge Family
Last edited by: Deneb: Mar 7, 23 3:54
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [Deneb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a clusterfuck.

By saying "we acknowledge we failed you in our duty to ensure the Montpellier licensee was performing to our standards and again, we apologise. An urgent review has implemented processes to prevent this happening again in the future" the CEO must have pleased his PR department and angered his legal department, by the way.

This is IMO the right thing to say and also lawyers representing someone on the receiving end of a lawsuit hate admissions like this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also messaged the CEO on Linkedin and got this reply:

"Thanks for taking the effort to reach out. I understand your frustration or even anger around the cancellation of Challenge Montpellier. As Challenge Family we are also very disappointed in the refund policy of Occitri Event SAS, who holds the license of the Challenge Montpellier. The athletes have been let down and for that we apologise and we are doing all we can to alleviate the issue moving forwards. To give at least some alternative options, we have offered a free transfer to another race in cooperation with a number of other race organisers in the wider region. As Challenge Family, we strongly disagree with the 65% refund and continue to work with the organisers on this matter. I am unable to provide any updates about this at this moment, but I can tell that to date every race transfer request has been actioned and confirmed by us and we are in constant contact with the Challenge Montpellier team at Occitri Event SAS to ensure the refund procedure runs as quickly as possible.
I am sorry, that i can not bring you better news at this moment.
In the same vein, the way Challenge Montpellier has operated is not a reflection on other Challenge Family races. They are owned and run by passionate and dedicated independent organisers who should not be judged by Montpellier’s actions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the organizer claims they had an agreement in principle, is this proven to be wrong...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guarantee you the race organizer made zilch.

2022 had the "feel" for participants of running, cycling and triathlon races/events of being back to normal. I Announced at over 25 races/events last year - and I certainly saw that, first hand.

However, behind the scenes for organizers, I can share with you on the business side of the Race/Event Business - things are FAR from normal. In fact it's a HUGE struggle. It's great to have cash-flow and revenue coming in again after in some cases a two year suspension of that, but EVERYTHING is costing more and Sponsors are exiting the space!

On the last note - I just found out about two Announcing gigs later on this year, where my Client has had to cancel my services, because, they have had a Key sponsor leave or a deal end and, that their costs to put on the Race/Event have gone through the roof, and they simply can't afford me - and trust me you would be shocked to learn what my takeaway is for days of prep, and working for 12 straight hours, HUGELY delivering on what is key and critical for races/events - that Day-Of EXPERIENCE. But I get it - if the cupboard is bare, the cupboard is bare!

Bottom line - I suspect tat we will see more of this going on. It's still precarious times!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a clusterfuck

yeah. nothing has changed at Challenge. been a mess since 2012. Roth is not part of the larger Challenge-Family ownership. Felix and his family retained Challenge Roth and the rest is Zibi and co. using a brand for income without brand oversight and support. They are basically riding wave of the Roth excellence for a licensing fees business model. Terrible oversight and really don't understand why anyone would race their events (but for Roth). One persons opinion.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their events in Poland and Slovakia are top notch in every conceivable way. (Except for the numbingly boring bike course in Slovakia, but WYSIWYG).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is really good news because they absolutely shit the bed in north america.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is really good news because they absolutely shit the bed in north america.

There was a window of time for them when there was an opportunity back almost 10 years ago - but that window has open and closed.

What we are seeing in the triathlon race/event market right now in North America is IRONMAN at the top, and then a splintering up underneath them with Challenge, CLASH, and now Super League Triathlon getting into the bigger race game - interesting that a REALLY big company like Life Time has exited the triathlon game completely?? But this is NOT a very large market overall, and with the disruption of the pandemic, we don't really know if it's growing (It was DOWN substantially going into 2019 and then took a tick up in North America) - so splintering and dividing up not helpful.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Montpellier cancelled [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d be curious how the Ontario registration numbers are for the Subaru and MBCS series.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be curious how the Ontario registration numbers are for the Subaru and MBCS series.

I don't think we will get a clear sense for what is going on until we get fully through 2023.

In 2022 - Entries for all Endurance Sports Races/Events (triathlon, running and cycling) across North America were DOWN roughly 15% - 20% from 2019 numbers. "Marquee" events - the Boston Marathon's of the world were able to hold steady - but elsewhere that drop was pretty steady.

The good news is that in the U.S. - in late October and through Nov and Dec. Entries were mostly back up to 2019 numbers. Canada (and the Northern U.S.) tends to shut down in late October until the Spring - so hopefully we will see that same trend once we get back up and going again in the spring in Canada.

Your big GF in Penticton is sold out for this year, and the Gravel Race/Event that the same organizers put on, with a move to Sept. is WAY ahead on entries of where it was last year at this same time. So there are some good signs.

Quote Reply