Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [RobertS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobertS wrote:
ISM Long Narrow saddle is pricey.

Could the Bontrager Hilo comp be an alternative?

Other suggestions that are designed around the same principle of getting your hips rotated forward and giving your jiggly bits extra room to chill?

Brands suggested by others are all good options. But ISM pricey? I used to buy/sell them regularly for around $100 in nearly new condition. And if there is a single piece of bicycle equipment that you not skimp it’s the saddle (and brakes :)). Nothing else will make your ride more enjoyable or miserable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a long time ISM user. The best models for me were PN3.1, PN3.0, and Road.

I'm really happy now with Ramus. The guy who makes them is an ST member who shared his prototype thread here.

Dash didn't work for me. Tried several widths, models, saddle heights, and saddle angles. Just couldn't get it comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m trying to visualize how to sit on the Ramus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding the Sitero on my P3 for the past 4/5 years and it works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
I’m trying to visualize how to sit on the Ramus?

Just like any other seat? Sit bones on the wide rear section.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
They're phenomenal.

Yep. Another vote for Cobb. I hated the ISM.

I’ve been rocking the Cobb Gen 2 since 2014 and just snagged one on eBay for my gravel bike. Sadly they dont make it anymore so I’m left to scour the internet but I was lucky to get one for each of my 3 bikes.

It’s marketed as a road saddle but was so comfortable on my tri bikes. I did Florida twice on it and aero was very comfortable the entire time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this was mentioned but bikeseatguru.com ships and allows you to try up to three saddles and has inexpensive triathlon options. This worked really well for my son. The model he chose wasn't on his radar. The saddle "many pros ride" and was uncomfortable to him.

He had a great older Cobb that was unfortunately falling apart and not make anymore and chose the modestly priced but well padded ISM PR 2.0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with purchasing ISM saddles from local tri shops who were either closing out a model or had demos they were clearancing. Also, picked up a few from ISM directly on their demo and clearance section - see https://shop-us.ismseat.com/ and scroll to bottom (for US).
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
You could try BiSaddle, super adjustable in width and form.

I got one and it is amazing. Amazing.

Instead of trying 10 different saddles, you can "make" your own. I didn't know that widening the spread of the nose "rails" could have such a big impact on comfort. It helped not only my scrotum but also my arms as I'm no longer trying to shift weight forward away from my gentle areas.

Just be careful about length. The model I got is quite a bit shorter than the ISM PN 1.1. If you hit the limit of pushing the saddle forward, this could affect your fit.

Money wise, they have discounted refurbished saddles available. As good as new. Got mine for $139 including shipping to the U.S.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
I've had good luck with purchasing ISM saddles from local tri shops who were either closing out a model or had demos they were clearancing. Also, picked up a few from ISM directly on their demo and clearance section - see https://shop-us.ismseat.com/ and scroll to bottom (for US).

OP is asking for alternative saddles to the ISM. Not where to buy them.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
mrfreeze wrote:

OP is asking for alternative saddles to the ISM. Not where to buy them.
Understood. My take is that the “why” for alternatives was price and that OP would all other things equal prefer ISM - so I was sharing some ways that the ISM could be had for perhaps close to the same or less than alternatives.
Quote Reply

Prev Next