Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alternatives to a ISM saddle?
Quote | Reply
ISM Long Narrow saddle is pricey.

Could the Bontrager Hilo comp be an alternative?

Other suggestions that are designed around the same principle of getting your hips rotated forward and giving your jiggly bits extra room to chill?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [RobertS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobb saddles. https://speedandcomfort.com/

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing. I was not aware of this brand. Even though they're priced the same as ism saddles, I now atleast have an extra brand to base my searches on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're phenomenal.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Dash saddle but doesnt help with the price issue...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get what you pay for. Look in the classified section or on facebook marketplace for used ones.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobb was one of the originals, a huge influence in triathlon and cycling. Not a late-comer. Check out John Cobb's history for a fun read.

Always fun to know your roots!
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
They're phenomenal.

Just as ISM, BiSaddle, GeBiomized and most other brands. It is just personal, what is heaven for one can be torture for the next.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try BiSaddle, super adjustable in width and fiorm.
They have a trial period as well.
But not cheaper :-)

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the suggestions. I had never heard of these brands before, so that's great. I'll can now search on 2nd hand sites with way more terms than just ISM.

Cheers!

@Jeroen: Great looking website! I saw you also sell the Bontrager hilo comp. Had much success with it? I can order and test it for 30 days at Mantel, so might give that a shot before anything more expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [transam2k4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
transam2k4 wrote:

I was also going to suggest Dash as a lighter alternative to ISM, but light is not cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
switched from ISM to selle smp, big improvement in comfort for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Bontrager is indeed also a good saddle but as said what one finds super nice another çan think its more a birth control 'thingy' then a saddle.
The BiSaddle have taken about 35% of all saddle sales since we got the a few years back. But the Hilo Comp is for sure a saddle to give it a shot.

Good Luck with the testing. And if that not works you can always drop by for a saddle fit session.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [transam2k4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
transam2k4 wrote:

Another vote for Dash, I went through so many saddles before I found dash and wow what a difference, zero discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first generation Hilo had a version where you could adjust the width of the nose. You can find those used and they work well for people with really narrow hips. I tried a bunch of the Cobb and ISM and a Dash saddle and they always felt like they were prying my legs apart. I am reasonably comfortable on the 1st generation Hilo and the 2nd gen one is Ok-ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally think a lot of saddle comfort is fit and position. In the early 90s I rode Hawaii in a speedo on a Flite saddle with zero discomfort. Of course, I was fortunate to have been fit by John Cobb (pre-Lance,etc) - I give John lots of credit. I still basically use that fit. I (and Cameron Wurf) now ride Fizik Arione Tri 2 saddle, which is considered "old." Others have suggested that I try the "new" saddles but saddle comfort is simply a non-issue for me.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swapped from my ISM to the Pro Aerofuel

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/us/triathlon/saddles/aerofuel-carbon-saddle

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Cobb saddle person here, I use the plus models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Dash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just messaged you with a discount code :-) Hope it helps!

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious what the accepted life of a saddle is? How do you tell when it’s time to switch?
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [MustGoFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an excellent question. The wear on the saddle depends on how many miles/duration of time you spend on it. The wear and tear of the saddle comes down to the degradation of the padding and/or the covering of the padding. For me, once I see signs of wear, it's time for a new saddle.
Ultimately, it will come down to your frequency of use. Hope this helps!

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
That's an excellent question. The wear on the saddle depends on how many miles/duration of time you spend on it. The wear and tear of the saddle comes down to the degradation of the padding and/or the covering of the padding. For me, once I see signs of wear, it's time for a new saddle.
Ultimately, it will come down to your frequency of use. Hope this helps!

The saddle looks fine, but it’s got about 20k on it over the past 4 years. Riding an ISM at the moment hence I was interested in the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would seriously consider BiSaddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to a ISM saddle? [onder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM Sent
Quote Reply

Prev Next