Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez, dont go cutting the hole bigger etc....
Get this cheap adapter and youre good to go.

Problem Solvers 90 Degree Presta Inflator - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)

Works every time for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:


longtrousers wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
echappist wrote:


This pump head is really tall compared to the black Lezyne linked above. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? It definitely wouldn't work on my Citec wheel.


Yes that‘s a bit the problem with this thread, the op asked how he can pump up a disc with an extraordinary small hole, and everyone answers which system he/she uses, independent of the fact if their disc-holes are small or not.
I also have a citec, and tried a lot of 90° chucks which did not fit until I got the chuck and lezyne pump I linked in post #3 and o yeah, that works very well.

I hate one-handed pumping at high pressure, and I do it a lot when I'm using my disc wheel in training due to the latex tubes.

That's how I do it (I also ride my disk in training with latex). But I do not regard it a huge problem. Use the Joe Blow for the front wheel though.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The classic hash pipe.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
echappist wrote:


This pump head is really tall compared to the black Lezyne linked above. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? It definitely wouldn't work on my Citec wheel.

I posted about a Topeak adapter and didn't mention anything about Lezyne. You would have known that I posted about a Topeak had you bothered to read my post and quoted it in its entirety.

FWIW, I pump up my Jet Plus Disc using a Lezyne pump, but that's wholly irrelevant, because at no point does any part of the pump head go into the hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Thanks. I also carry 2 tubes. One thing that's annoying is that for disc, I need a tube with a short valve, whereas for the front wheel it would be a long valve unless I also mess with valve extenders. I really wish the disc cutout would accommodate both long valve and a slightly bulkier chuck head.

Not really confident enough to dremel my way around the $1k+ wheel though...

I ordered a few things suggested above, will report to see how it goes. I'm starting to more seriously consider going tubeless for race wheels, but none of the problems go away in this case - I'd still carry spare tubes and would still need to figure out how to pump them if I were to get a flat...

I was a little hesitant about using the valve extenders myself but they've really worked out great I have the same size tubes in my box and just use the extender for the front if needed.

I personally would not Dremel or cut out the disc cover cuz I'd be concerned about warranty issues if it's still within the warranty. From hed.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
echappist wrote:


This pump head is really tall compared to the black Lezyne linked above. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? It definitely wouldn't work on my Citec wheel.


I posted about a Topeak adapter and didn't mention anything about Lezyne. You would have known that I posted about a Topeak had you bothered to read my post and quoted it in its entirety.

FWIW, I pump up my Jet Plus Disc using a Lezyne pump, but that's wholly irrelevant, because at no point does any part of the pump head go into the hole.

That's some irony saying I didn't bother to read... Longtrousers seemed to understand my response, but let me spell it our for you.

I am saying your Topeak adapter (the one quoted and referred to as "this pump head") is tall and not well suited for small cutouts. In comparison, the black Lezyne adapter mentioned in post #3 (the one I referred to as "the black Lezyne linked above") is much shorter and better suited to small cutouts. The black lezyne one is short enough to fit in a Citec cutout with 40mm valve, but the Topeak adapter wouldn't fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
echappist wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
echappist wrote:


This pump head is really tall compared to the black Lezyne linked above. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? It definitely wouldn't work on my Citec wheel.


I posted about a Topeak adapter and didn't mention anything about Lezyne. You would have known that I posted about a Topeak had you bothered to read my post and quoted it in its entirety.

FWIW, I pump up my Jet Plus Disc using a Lezyne pump, but that's wholly irrelevant, because at no point does any part of the pump head go into the hole.


That's some irony saying I didn't bother to read... Longtrousers seemed to understand my response, but let me spell it our for you.

I am saying your Topeak adapter (the one quoted and referred to as "this pump head") is tall and not well suited for small cutouts. In comparison, the black Lezyne adapter mentioned in post #3 (the one I referred to as "the black Lezyne linked above") is much shorter and better suited to small cutouts. The black lezyne one is short enough to fit in a Citec cutout with 40mm valve, but the Topeak adapter wouldn't fit.
Thanks for clarifying everything on the second go (not sarcasm intended)

Had you originally wrote what you wrote above, I wouldn't have responded to your post
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tried the Topeak adapter and returned it.

My cutout isn't even that small, but it was literally impossible to fit my fingers around the screw-on portion of the adapter to screw it on or off. Couldnt' get it on even the slightest bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Here is my setup:

Lezyne Classic Floor Drive Pump - has threaded chuck that the Topeak threads on to. link
Topeak Pressure Rite Presta Valve Adapter

I have no issues pumping up my HED Jet Black Disc wheel or front. The threaded chuck works great with the Topeak Valve adapter.



Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [jorgegr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, I find it a stupid stupid thing that it is the year of our Lord 2022 and disc wheels have been around since at least the Last Supper and we're still dealing with this shit issue with wheels, adapters, odd hoses, cussing, swearing.

Why not they start making something smarter access wise for disc wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. To your reply in particular, the crack pipe I have is similar to this one, and I don't see how this one would solve anything: I would need another pump or chuck or something for the pipe end to stay securely in without hissing air while pumping.

Lots of replies here, appreciate people sharing ideas. I bought a Fumpa. Tried using it like so


Note, I can't actually pump this way since the pipe doesn't really stay securely in Fumpa's receptacle, but when I'm holding it together instead of holding the phone to take a picture, it somewhat works. I put some insulating tape on the pipe because it gets stupid HOT after just a few seconds of this. I can probably get it to the pressure I want if I really had to, but I tried twice and it's still underpumped (no way of telling what the pressure is, I'm trying to get it to like 75). I didn't want to push the Fumpa because it was $160+ with tax from eBay, and I'm returning it.

Will reply to another suggestion below.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [Kay9Cop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I ordered these cords because I thought maybe the angled pieces would work, and the presta -> schrader adapters you suggested. I couldn't get anything useful out of the cords themselves, but using the adapter on the tube valve, then the angled piece on the adapter, and then the schrader position on the pump head it actually worked ok. The pump pressure gauge still shows nothing but at least I can pump it to what I guess is the right pressure much easier than with just my crack pipe.


Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [jorgegr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! What do you carry with you during the race to pump the disc after you change a flat? (if it's the Topeak Adapter, then what CO2 chuck works well with it?)
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Thanks. To your reply in particular, the crack pipe I have is similar to this one, and I don't see how this one would solve anything: I would need another pump or chuck or something for the pipe end to stay securely in without hissing air while pumping.

Lots of replies here, appreciate people sharing ideas. I bought a Fumpa. Tried using it like so


Note, I can't actually pump this way since the pipe doesn't really stay securely in Fumpa's receptacle, but when I'm holding it together instead of holding the phone to take a picture, it somewhat works. I put some insulating tape on the pipe because it gets stupid HOT after just a few seconds of this. I can probably get it to the pressure I want if I really had to, but I tried twice and it's still underpumped (no way of telling what the pressure is, I'm trying to get it to like 75). I didn't want to push the Fumpa because it was $160+ with tax from eBay, and I'm returning it.

Will reply to another suggestion below.

Maybe part of the struggle is that you are attempting to do it with the valve at the top of the wheel?

I always put the valve at bottom of wheel when pumping and firmly press down with left hand while pumping with right hand (and shoulder area as mentioned before). If I tried to pump with it upside down like that it wouldn't work. Let gravity help you.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried several of the chuck heads suggested here and none worked for me on my HED disc. I used the 6” hose because it allowed me to get a straight shot at the presta valve and screw it on. The hose also acted as an insulator for the Fumpa; only the pump would get hot. I could get up to 80 lbs and that was all I needed for my 28mm tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! What do you use to get at the tube valve with Fumpa? Does the Hiro chuck screw in or connect without leaking into Fumpa somehow?
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [Kay9Cop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far, the presta -> schrader adapter and a different version of the hose you suggested is my best bet to use with the pump, thanks! How do you connect the hose to Fumpa?
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hiro can thread directly into the nozzle on the Fumpa (easy to use if you have easy access to the valve on your wheel). But I went ahead and purchased the extension nozzle with my Fumpa, and attach the Hiro chuck to that. This makes it a bit easier to top off my tires while my bike is racked in transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah got it, thank you! Must be what they call "ELBOW NOZZLE KIT". Yeah, I should have looked for that too, makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The elbow kit might work as well, but I meant this extension : https://www.fumpapumps.com/...cts/extension-nozzle

The Hiro locks into the chuck on this very easily for hands free (aside from handling the pump itself) operation. And its easy to tuck away in a morning clothes bag. I'm sure there are several products that can accomplish the same goal, but the Joe Blow + Hiro for normal situations, and the Fumpa + extension nozzle + Hiro at races has been working extremely well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it, thank you.

Sorry for the 20 questions, just curious: if you tuck it away into your morning clothes bag, then what are you left with if you need to change the tube during the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I get a puncture during a ride, my flat kit contains a CO2 inflator nozzle and the Silca disc valve adapter (aka the "crack pipe'). Works great for filling spare (butyl) tubes with CO2 cartridges. If I don't want to use CO2, I sometimes carry a Lezyne Pocket Drive, which has a hose and therefore needs no adapter. But it is a lot slower to inflate.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all your help!
Quote Reply

Prev Next