Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel
Quote | Reply
The small-ish cutout in the wheel being the main concern. I've managed for years now, but wondering if there's better equipment out there I can use for this. Running Vittoria Competition Latex tube with 48mm valve and trying to figure out the best option for
  • Pumping pre-race with Joe Blow pump. I use one of Genuine Innovations adapter. It's always been iffy, but since I changed to the newer Joe Blow pump, it's almost impossible to use: it barely seals if the pump head valve is open, and doesn't stay inside the pump head at all if the schrader valve is closed. So I need to press it into the tube valve, hold it in the head, block the schrader valve all is one hand while pumping with the other. It's not much easier if you have someone else pumping either because all of that holding business has to happen in and just outside the wheel so it's not like another hand is all that helpful. I actually dropped the adapter into the wheel recently and had a hissy fit but luckily was able to get it out somehow.

• CO2 Inflator. I have this one and the chuck is a bit too big to fit on that in the space. If I do get a flat in a race, I will use another tube with a shorter valve, but still the space inside the disc is quite small. Might try this BriskMore one.

I'm sure there are a few people here with that exact same wheel; what do you use?

Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a TPU tube with 40mm valve and use a crack pipe. It'll leave plenty room
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same setup, down to the tubes and pump. I attached a Silca Hiro chuck to my Joe Blow pump, and it works great. Though admittedly, on race mornings in transition, I carry a Fumpa now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use one of these: Mellbree 2pcs Valve Stem... https://www.amazon.com/...ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

With one of these screwed on: Bike Bits Brass Presta Valve... https://www.amazon.com/...ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Use a bit of loctite to keep the adapter from unscrewing from the hose. Screwing it on to the valve stem causes almost no leakage and it’s sealed once it’s screwed on. Then you can use whatever schrader pump you like. I use a mini Fumpa. The whole kit along with a tire plug kit (I run tubeless) fits in the behind the seat container on my QR PRSix2.
Last edited by: Kay9Cop: Aug 8, 22 1:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto above - I have the Silca Hiro chuck for my HED disc, and it is great. It is by far the best chuck on the earth. And also ditto above that on race day, I use a little electric pump with a crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a dremel and make the opening larger. Seriously.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silca Hiro chuck, nuff said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
The small-ish cutout in the wheel being the main concern. I've managed for years now, but wondering if there's better equipment out there I can use for this. Running Vittoria Competition Latex tube with 48mm valve and trying to figure out the best option for
  • Pumping pre-race with Joe Blow pump. I use one of Genuine Innovations adapter. It's always been iffy, but since I changed to the newer Joe Blow pump, it's almost impossible to use: it barely seals if the pump head valve is open, and doesn't stay inside the pump head at all if the schrader valve is closed. So I need to press it into the tube valve, hold it in the head, block the schrader valve all is one hand while pumping with the other. It's not much easier if you have someone else pumping either because all of that holding business has to happen in and just outside the wheel so it's not like another hand is all that helpful. I actually dropped the adapter into the wheel recently and had a hissy fit but luckily was able to get it out somehow.

• CO2 Inflator. I have this one and the chuck is a bit too big to fit on that in the space. If I do get a flat in a race, I will use another tube with a shorter valve, but still the space inside the disc is quite small. Might try this BriskMore one.

I'm sure there are a few people here with that exact same wheel; what do you use?

I have a HED Jet3 Plus; though it was always set-up tubeless (I figured it would be better to limp home than be stranded).

The following worked for me when using a slightly short valve (can't recall exact valve length)

Topeak Pressure Rite Presta

Last edited by: echappist: Aug 8, 22 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this exact same thing. Best decision ever. Made it just a smidge bigger but what a difference that made even with using a Hiro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Fumpa. It's awesome
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
friskyDingo wrote:

I have a HED Jet3 Plus; though it was always set-up tubeless (I figured it would be better to limp home than be stranded).

The following worked for me when using a slightly short valve (can't recall exact valve length)

Topeak Pressure Rite Presta

My problem with that Topeak is that it was impossibly difficult to screw on/off the adapter to the presta valve given the small space. I'd need pliers, I think. I returned it for this reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same wheel and tube set up. I've found it very doable to do myself by making an adjustment on the placement of the pump in relation to me. I keep it close and use my dominant hand and shoulder by leaning into it. It isn't the greatest solution, but it beats buying a $70 chuck head. At some point I might bite the bullet and do it. But for now, I use the crack pipe and do it myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. How do you handle pumping up in case of a flat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question.

I have the CO2 inflator with the separate head. I haven't tested it or even tried to see if it worked. I have 2 spares and 2 tubes in my Speed Concept draft box.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I also carry 2 tubes. One thing that's annoying is that for disc, I need a tube with a short valve, whereas for the front wheel it would be a long valve unless I also mess with valve extenders. I really wish the disc cutout would accommodate both long valve and a slightly bulkier chuck head.

Not really confident enough to dremel my way around the $1k+ wheel though...

I ordered a few things suggested above, will report to see how it goes. I'm starting to more seriously consider going tubeless for race wheels, but none of the problems go away in this case - I'd still carry spare tubes and would still need to figure out how to pump them if I were to get a flat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using a Dremel tool on that non-structural carbon is easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Not really confident enough to dremel my way around the $1k+ wheel though...

It’s just a fairing though. There’s nothing at all structural about the disc part of a Hed Disc as it’s a permanently affixed cover to a spoked wheel. Basically you’re just sanding down a few millimeters around the opening.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [Fishhawk21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishhawk21 wrote:
Silca Hiro chuck, nuff said.

Another vote for the Silca Hiro.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Use a dremel and make the opening larger. Seriously.

This x2. You can also sand it down if you don't feel comfortable with dremel.
Then put scotch tape on during the race or a sticker and you're good to go.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which head does your Joe Blow have? There are a few different ones depending on which model pump you have. Maybe it's changed, but I never had trouble with the "SmartHead" version fitting my HED wheels. At one point I even replaced the head on a Silca pump with a SmartHead because it fit so well...
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

This pump head is really tall compared to the black Lezyne linked above. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? It definitely wouldn't work on my Citec wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
echappist wrote:

This pump head is really tall compared to the black Lezyne linked above. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? It definitely wouldn't work on my Citec wheel.

Yes that‘s a bit the problem with this thread, the op asked how he can pump up a disc with an extraordinary small hole, and everyone answers which system he/she uses, independent of the fact if their disc-holes are small or not.
I also have a citec, and tried a lot of 90° chucks which did not fit until I got the chuck and lezyne pump I linked in post #3 and o yeah, that works very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping up a tire on HED Jet Disc wheel [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

longtrousers wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
echappist wrote:

Yes that‘s a bit the problem with this thread, the op asked how he can pump up a disc with an extraordinary small hole, and everyone answers which system he/she uses, independent of the fact if their disc-holes are small or not.
I also have a citec, and tried a lot of 90° chucks which did not fit until I got the chuck and lezyne pump I linked in post #3 and o yeah, that works very well.

I have the same lezyne pump and speed chuck, and while yes, it's tiny and does work (if this thing doesn't fit in your cutout, probablky nothing will), I still end up having to pump one-handed while the other hand has to apply pressure to the chuck.

I do have a Silca Hiro as well that does fit in my cutout but is definitely more finicky, and most of the time also requires me to hold it on for the air to move.

I'm still looking for a good solution that doesn't require the one-handed pumping. Tried the extra extender trick and maybe my extender wasn't long enough but it wouldn't bend far enough out once a bit of air got in to work.

I might even go with an electronic pump like a Fumpa (sold out in most places now) if I can attach the Hiro to the head so it'll do the pumping work while I just hold the Hiro onto the presta valve. I hate one-handed pumping at high pressure, and I do it a lot when I'm using my disc wheel in training due to the latex tubes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next