Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [mebwessel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mebwessel wrote:
I actually like the look of this a lot more now, that the top tube is aligned whith the pointy thing in the back.

At first glance i had exactly the same thought until i just noticed on ryf’s insta that at her bike it is still not aligned. So it appears that it is aligned, my good guess now, on just 1 or 2 sizes….

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
‘A road bike is more comfy.’

And this is just not true per se. You can be very comfortable and very aero in a tri bike. You just have to train enough on the bike to get adjusted to the position.
But I was asked we need to do an 180 km bije ride tomorrow there no doubt at all I would chose my tri bike over my road bike.

Jeroen

You sound like a fitter or elite racer seeing your signature. So the creme of the crop in terms of making that argument. The average joe isn't going to be able to fit themselves to the same comfort/aero ratio on the tri bike as you're going to be able to. And the average joes don't all spend hours with fitters and aero testers. So I'd bias that towards those fits being less optimal. So.........if you can't be the best at it or buying the best you're better off doing the road/tri bike combo training. Again, IMO.

The base bar isn't the same as an endurance geometry road bike.

I also feel like you don't need 100% tri/tt time to adapt. I'd argue 50/50 is plenty sufficient and actually argue too much tri/tt time you might leave watts on the table due to not making more KJ's day in and day out from the slacker hip angle road position. The "More is More" argument of ftp development.

Just because I could ride the TT bike for 3 hours (it's a TT bike, not a tri bike for mine), I'll make a known value more KJ's on the road bike. Multiply that by XXX workout days a year and that's a lot of KJ's of work lost. But, you do have to adapt some to not have your loss between the two be too great.

The optimal balance isn't 100/0 nor 0/100, it's in between. I'd say it's somewhere in the ballpark of the %'s being within 20% of each bike.

I’ll totally agree and will give you an even better reason why the road bike is more comfy and better for most riding. How much time on an average ride can you actually spend in the so-called comfy Tri position? Unless you are in a super rural area, it’s not even close to the entire ride. And, riding a Tri bike in the drops is pretty miserable. Having a Tri bike only for a number of years almost made me quit the sport because riding outside was not fun.
Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Price to entry problem. USAT (or the RD) should create non aerobars bike division. Problem solved

The aerobars isn't the problem, it's what's between the ears.

I just did a CL search for things WITH aerobars:

2008 Guru: $650
Felt B16: $850
P2C: $649
Transition: $875
older Trinity: $600

C'mon, the price game is weak AF when folks complain about bike prices as barrier to entry but folks lease or buy cars that are worth 3 to 10x what my old paid for CRV is worth.

People think they have to have fancy to compete, which ain't true.

Here's the issue -- most people don't ever want to deal with Craigslist to buy a bike. They want a retail shop. Somewhere to go when something isn't right.

I think places like here, The Pro's Closet, hell even Tri n Sell It on Facebook do a better job at policing some of the bad actors out there. But used scares a lot of people. It's not the equivalent of buying a used car, despite the pricing.

It'd be nice to re-establish that $2000-$2500 price point new bike.

I guess my point was that while I acknowledge some folks are less well off in general in life, people could down-prioritize owning a $40k car and spend a minor fraction of that on a nice bike.

Or could spend $50 for clip-ons. While a tri bike is superior to clip ons, they are still a highly affordable and effective piece of kit. Likely faster properly setup versus a poorly setup tri bike.

People don’t do that because they hate riding aerobars due to not ever riding in them. You see folks on $5k tri bikes constantly on the basebar.

A road bike is more comfy.

Sure, “new versus new” a road bike is cheaper. But if folks are that picky to enter a sport I don’t pity them that they won’t humble themselves to not buy new.

Same way I don’t pity folks who lament “having to pay Lowes or an electrician” to hang a ceiling fan and how it’s expensive to own a home. Yeah, if you don’t bother to learn or think how to save money and still play the game.

If we're talking about "most people" and marginal gains, then the answer will always be "most people" should save their money and train more and train harder.
Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regardless of what direction Felt will go under the new ownership and regardless of the pricing the more I look at this bike the more I’m getting to like it.
It seems, for me at least, that this is one of those designs that need to grow on you. Same as I had with the P5X when I saw it the first time.
The one thing I noticed however, at least it looks like that on the pics, they still use that same aerobar mounting system as on the IA 1.0 with the carbon base bar with no tilt option standard available. If that is the case that would be a major flaw at these price levels. But I might be wrong….

The design however is growing more and more on me :-)

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Regardless of what direction Felt will go under the new ownership and regardless of the pricing the more I look at this bike the more I’m getting to like it.
It seems, for me at least, that this is one of those designs that need to grow on you. Same as I had with the P5X when I saw it the first time.
The one thing I noticed however, at least it looks like that on the pics, they still use that same aerobar mounting system as on the IA 1.0 with the carbon base bar with no tilt option standard available. If that is the case that would be a major flaw at these price levels. But I might be wrong….

The design however is growing more and more on me :-)

Jeroen

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the design at all. It's just shows it's age even before it's gone public. I think Canyon has pulled off the same thing with much more style.

I thought did occur to me regarding the $17K Etap version. What if it includes that new Classified Powershift hub? That would both be cool and make the price more palatable. Probably not, but that would certainly be different.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the GTN video with Ryf's bike from the collins cup, it looks like the extension clamps pivot to adjust for tilt.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I thought did occur to me regarding the $17K Etap version. What if it includes that new Classified Powershift hub? That would both be cool and make the price more palatable. Probably not, but that would certainly be different.

Plus, they wouldn't have quarq spider and powertap. Unless the picture is a misdirect
Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and if you take a close look to the pictures now online they are different in set up, just like the current IA FRD system uses.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Maybe she got something custom made for her.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
If we're talking about "most people" and marginal gains, then the answer will always be "most people" should save their money and train more and train harder.

Disagree. I'm a 48 year-old hack. I'll buy any damn bike just because I want to. You can opine on how I'm "optimizing my resources" all you want. :)
Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Interesting. Maybe she got something custom made for her.

Yes, Swissside did a custom front end for her.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but that was not the cockpit shown in the GTN video.

Jeroen

Quote Reply
Re: So, a tree apparently fell in the forest... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mathematics wrote:

Disagree. I'm a 48 year-old hack. I'll buy any damn bike just because I want to. You can opine on how I'm "optimizing my resources" all you want. :)

Seeing folks smile is all I need. Happiness. Who am I to judge that?

Thing is also the point I tried to make earlier. Not everyone spends a mortgage payment each month on their family's vehicle loans. Ours are paid for basic transport that we plan to "repair/replace" parts on. A $2500 transmission job lasts you 2 years, your effective payment on that job is like $100/mo. Not a $500/mo new car payment.

Given that, it affords me to buy the bike I want.

Other folks have fancier cell phones or plans adding up to big bucks. Or they spend a lot of fancy TV to catch specific games. Over a couple years that can add up enough to own a $5k bike. $150/mo on some TV packages for 5 years would easily be a freaking sweet race bike owned for that period of time! Versus a $25/mo combo of online services.

So I get that some folks are poor enough there isn't any amount of penny pinching to own a fancy bike, fine. But looking at parking lots and talking to people at events........there's room they could re-prioritize their luxuries and buy the fancy bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
I get the feeling on prices too, but what people in the US seem to forget is the tri sales have a been not that great in the 6/7 years before covid in the US. The sport was in a slow decline in the US. The slowman talked about that several times here. For some brands the US market was maybe not even that interesting anymore.

The US people have really no idea how different the EU market is:-). Felt for example is one big major player in tri here. Like all other brands they have difficulty in deliveries but so far with some delays they were able to get tri bikes through our door. Not as many as we could have sold, but still more then other brands.
I really think for some brands the focus is no longer the US but more the EU. I got that feeling as well with Felt when it was sold to Rossignol and to that new Austrian group.
The market here is exploding for over more then a decade and still looks forward to be continuing to do so.

As my information goes the IA 1.0 also returns as well on great price points, but this was info when Rossignol was still the owner.
But Felt and Cervelo are about the 2 most wanted bike brands in terms of tri.

Jeroen

I'm sorry, there's a world outside the US? ;-) Pre-Covid, Felt was still a strong player here in multi-sport, but much of it's thunder had been stolen by Canyon. I think the sale to Rossignol really hurt them as much of their talent left the company, some right across the street to Cervelo who moved in within a stones throw. Up until that point, Felt always had the feeling of a family business (because it essentially was).

Felt had historically owned the entry-level to mid-priced consumer by always offering one bike that was an amazing deal...no one could match or beat it. I think the IA 10 was the last time you could say they were in that position. I still love that bike. Here in the US, very few people ever purchased their highest price-point bikes. It was 105 mechanical and Ultegra Di2. They mixed and matched parts to get that price down, but the entry level multi-sport athletes weren't concerned with what cranks, brakes, chain, or cassettes were on the bikes. The wheels were entry-level as well and weighed a ton. Again, that first time buyer didn't care about such things. Then Canyon came along and not only took that market out from under them when they were finally available here in the US (they had largely abandoned it anyway), but also made it unacceptable to downgrade parts to keep the price down.

Now I feel like no one is catering to the entry-level athlete. The barrier to entry is just too high these days, and I believe it's hurting the sport. I'll be really interested to see where we're at next year and the year after when people stop racing on deferrals. If there's a downturn, I think a lot of it will have to do with the price of the sport. Someone needs to bring back that entry-level bike. Someone needs to offer up the old Nytro Multisport "let's get you into triathlon package" where you get a bike and a wetsuit for a ridiculously low price.

I'll also sound of a warning to Canyon, whose prices have steadily risen well above the inflation rate. Yes, the market dictates pricing, and they've found people are willing to pay more, but I'm beginning to see that tide change. There's little price difference between a Canyon and some other brands and people are taking notice. I believe far more of our clients would prefer a Cervelo P-Series to a Speedmax CF now that the prices are largely the same. Right now, they'll take whatever they can get, but that bubble will soon burst, and I believe Canyon may find they've over-reached a bit.

Back to The Camel, this bike was completed the moment Felt brought out the IA Disc. That's how long it's been around ready to be brought to market. A few years ago, it would've been unique. Now, it's just another bike that looks odd sort of for the sake of looking odd. There is nothing special about the bike, and certainly nothing I see to convince the consumer to pay those prices. This thread is proof of that. There's literally no real talk of the bike itself. Few questions being asked. Almost no excitement.

I realize this is an old post but still interesting to me

With the new aero savings you see with the bottle down the front to close the gap do you see any aero value in the ‘camel’ to help with closing that gap as well?

It looks a little similar to another Tri bike too tube near the bars. Can’t remember the name now
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 12, 23 6:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next