Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [Gtri24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:
Nervous with open water. The idea of not touching the ground gives me a small panic attack.

Not sure about the 2 above... but pick something that is wetsuit legal, swim with current and with some murky water...

I'm guessing you should avoid most ocean swim if you are worry about big large open water.... or waves.

That been said, during a race, you focus on staying in straight line and not hitting people... so been out on the open is much less intimidating (IMO)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Gtri24 wrote:
Nervous with open water. The idea of not touching the ground gives me a small panic attack.

Well then maybe triathlon is not for you. But, as between the two, timberman is way to go.

Often you provide the dose of realism that is needed around here. In this case you're just being an ass.

I’m understand how the post came across that way but I’m Seriously not trying to be. I hate reading the rare, but regular story about the person who panicked during the swim portion of a tri and it did it not end well. I really hope OP overcomes it, and I recommended the non ocean water swim tri which was his “ask”. I’m not trying to be a tri snob or anything. Just want everyone to be safe.

I agree. The ocean is no joke. The swim at IMME can be frigid or merely chilly, smooth as glass or rough as hell. I live 5 miles from the pier at OOB, have swum that beach and the surrounding ones many times, and after 10 years racing I still won't do anything longer than a sprint with an ocean swim. The number of people I see coming from inland areas who are planning on a 70.3 as their first experience with the ocean, sometimes their first shot at that distance, and occasionally their first triathlon makes me shake my head.

Yes, you can absolutely learn to mitigate that panic response of "OMG I can't see anything and I can't stand up and the shore is so far away!", but that takes time. The OP has limited time. It's absolutely safer to do that in a lake than in the ocean. Having healthy respect for the conditions and the distance is smart. I'm glad he asked, and I'm glad he got answers.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - I’m going with IM Timberman.

Just going to keep at the swim. I’m extremely comfortable with the other two
Principles and running is my race by heavy experience.

I’ll continue to swim the pool without touching the wall and ground as much.. keep on the lake training, and hopefully race day will come and bring comfort knowing it’s not just myself in the middle of a lake.

The first fear only came because I was inexperienced with open water swimming, swam across a large lake and stopped half way in the middle. Probably not the best tactic, and since learned from my mistake.. which brought me here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next