Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner
Quote | Reply
Hi All - Iā€™m stuck between choosing my 70.3 this August, ether Ironman Timberman in NH (lake swim) or Ironman Maine (ocean swim)?

The swim is my weakness. Iā€™m up to 2k meters in the pool 200 per 100M although the open water is a different beast.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [Gtri24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:
Hi All - Iā€™m stuck between choosing my 70.3 this August, ether Ironman Timberman in NH (lake swim) or Ironman Maine (ocean swim)?

The swim is my weakness. Iā€™m up to 2k meters in the pool 200 per 100M although the open water is a different beast.

Thank you!

Are you nervous about swimming in open water, or just wondering which swim will be fastest?
If Maine has a calm day, probably be a fast swim with the salt water.
If you are nervous being in open water, go lake IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nervous with open water. The idea of not touching the ground gives me a small panic attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:
Nervous with open water. The idea of not touching the ground gives me a small panic attack.

Well then maybe triathlon is not for you. But, as between the two, timberman is way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know yourself and how your head works the best. I'm very mid pack for swimming. For me a lake mass swim can be pretty congested and it's the people about me that can put me off. Looking at that Maine swim course there looks like a good chance to keep to your own space - oceans are bigger that lakes generally speaking. Someone will tell me if it's my imagination but I think I can feel the extra buoyancy of swimming in salt water. So for me it's sea swim over lake any time. But, as I say, it's all in our head so it may be different for you. Would you have the opportunity to get there early and get some practice in?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, trying to bring my pool swim abilities to the open water.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and Iā€™m from New England. So we have a bunch of beaches nearby. Iā€™m trying to get a few weeks in the ocean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about an open water swim is always much, much worse than actually doing an open water swim. Get some open water practice swims in and on race day once the race starts all youā€™ll be thinking about is sighting the next buoy, all the people bumping you, and the relief you get when you actually get into your swim rhythm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go to whichever location excites you more. You will be fine in either swim once you get going. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:

Get in a nearby lake (or even a pool) with your wetsuit on and just play around in the water. Knowing that you can't sink while wearing that thing helps.

For the race, start 5m off to the side of everyone so you avoid the scrum.....and also go 5m wide around the buoys (since there is a mini-scrum at each turn as athletes converge on the buoy).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Gtri24 wrote:

Well then maybe triathlon is not for you. But, as between the two, timberman is way to go.

That's not useful. Repeated exposure (OWS in this case) will cure the nervousness and make them confident and comfortable in the water.

I about shit my pants first landing with me at the controls, first stall recovery, first spin recovery. Today I carry passengers and it feels to me as routine as driving to the grocery store. (Edit before someone jumps on this: It actually isn't routine for a slew of other reasons but that's not for this discussion.)
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jul 26, 21 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you registered for both? I would say the lake swim will probably be a bit easier than the ocean swim. Maine gives you more time to train though. Who knows maybe you'll want to do both if you start with Timberman.

2:00 pace for 2k is plenty fine. You'll have lots of people to swim with in either race. I totally get the open water concerns but there's no way around it in this sport. The 1st thing I'd say is that IM races are well staffed in the water. You are totally safe. There will be kayaks & other swimmers around you the entire way. The 2nd thing I'd say is to practice. Start small -- maybe a local beach or lake or town reservoir that has dedicated swim buoys. Your first time out swim side to side so you're shallow instead of swimming out & back.

When you do choose your race, go for a short swim a day or two before. It doesn't need to be a long swim -- maybe 10:00-20:00 (shorter side if 1 day out, longer if 2). The course might be marked 2 days out but will definitely be 1 day out. Practice sighting. When you get out of the water tell yourself you can do it on race day because you've already done it.

You got this.

Slowtwitch Editorial Team // < url url=https://www.instagram.com/...gt;Instagram</url > // < url url=https://twitter.com/...t>Twitter</url >
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you! I hope it all goes smoothly and you're able to get some OWS in ahead of time to help with the nervousness.

In terms of race selection, you might want to factor in which will make the overall *experience* a success. Not your race, since it's your first time you should just do your best with it and have fun. So looking at the 2 options, you need to consider which one:

-is easier logistically
-is more exciting to you as somewhere to race
-has a course that suits your running/biking ability
-is easier for friends/family to be there to cheer you on (if it's allowed your area with restrictions, etc.)

If you can pick a course you're comfortable with, in an area you like, that suits your ability then that's your best chance of a positive experience overall. Look beyond the swim to as many other factors as you can, and see if one jumps out at you.

I've never raced either course, so I can't speak them unfortunately. Don't dwell on the swim though, set yourself up to have a positive experience and have fun with it!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Gtri24 wrote:

That's not useful. Repeated exposure (OWS in this case) will cure the nervousness and make them confident and comfortable in the water.

I about shit my pants first landing with me at the controls, first stall recovery, first spin recovery. Today I carry passengers and it feels to me as routine as driving to the grocery store. (Edit before someone jumps on this: It actually isn't routine for a slew of other reasons but that's not for this discussion.)

Perhaps, but OP has relatively little time to prepare before these events. Yes, OP may be able to overcome it and should try. Thereā€™s a difference between discomfort and panic. And OP mentioned panic. I would hate to see an athlete put themselves or others in danger especially in the ocean. I hope it works out, whatever that is, but this is a hobby and safety should be a priority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you out of? I'm in Southern NH and have a couple different lake options for OWS practice if you want some practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the help! I chose Timberman and pushing my Maine race until next summer. Seeing I been in the pool so much, I feel the lake will mimic the pool the closest. I do feel better with the IM kayak support team during the race as well.

My fitness is high (bike and running) and don't feel that tired after 2k meters in the pool. I have 3 weeks to keep swimming in a local lake and get more comfortable with the open swim concept.

Also, I purchased a tow buoy for peace of mind.

Anyone from Rhode Island and know of some nearby longer distance lakes/ponds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other question - do you guys like sleeveless wetsuits for lake swim or full wetsuit?

I currently have a ROKA long sleeve wetsuit.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Good for you! I hope it all goes smoothly and you're able to get some OWS in ahead of time to help with the nervousness.

In terms of race selection, you might want to factor in which will make the overall *experience* a success. Not your race, since it's your first time you should just do your best with it and have fun. So looking at the 2 options, you need to consider which one:

-is easier logistically
-is more exciting to you as somewhere to race
-has a course that suits your running/biking ability
-is easier for friends/family to be there to cheer you on (if it's allowed your area with restrictions, etc.)

If you can pick a course you're comfortable with, in an area you like, that suits your ability then that's your best chance of a positive experience overall. Look beyond the swim to as many other factors as you can, and see if one jumps out at you.

I've never raced either course, so I can't speak them unfortunately. Don't dwell on the swim though, set yourself up to have a positive experience and have fun with it!

What he said - and I would add AC fits that bill. The swim is in a bay thatā€™s is about 400-500 yards wide, which should make you a bit more comfortable (never far from just being able to swim in and stand up). The bay is also not going to get very wavy even in the wind. The bike is kinda crazy. 2.5 loops including sections on a highway with one lane and shoulder closed for the race. The run is almost totally on the ac boardwalk. In short 2/3 are perfect and the bike is flat fast and well marked (I didnā€™t love the highway).

In short, easy swim, easy but weird bike, and nice run. Plus very well organized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:

Where you at in RI, I'm in Chepachet on the Smithfield line. I can hook you up with some Intel and perhaps meet up for a swim.

There are lots of ponds out my way....some you want to swim in and others need to be avoided (blue-green algae or boaters)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right near Smithfield! My office is located in NP. If you want to message me some locations that would be great!

3 weeks to submerge myself into lake waters lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Gtri24 wrote:

Often you provide the dose of realism that is needed around here. In this case you're just being an ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:
One other question - do you guys like sleeveless wetsuits for lake swim or full wetsuit?

I currently have a ROKA long sleeve wetsuit.

Thanks again!

Go with the long sleeve as long as it fits properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:
Right near Smithfield! My office is located in NP. If you want to message me some locations that would be great!

3 weeks to submerge myself into lake waters lol.

Message sent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gtri24 wrote:

I have just the solution for you! Check out this open water swim group. They normally swim at Georgiaville Pond, but it is closed due to algae. They are at Spring Lake now. Anyone is welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GVPNadadores/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Ironman 70.3 for beginner [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Gtri24 wrote:

Often you provide the dose of realism that is needed around here. In this case you're just being an ass.

Iā€™m understand how the post came across that way but Iā€™m Seriously not trying to be. I hate reading the rare, but regular story about the person who panicked during the swim portion of a tri and it did it not end well. I really hope OP overcomes it, and I recommended the non ocean water swim tri which was his ā€œaskā€. Iā€™m not trying to be a tri snob or anything. Just want everyone to be safe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next