Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad. I have the F1's and they have been great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you never had a pair fit properly without leaking?

I struggled until I found Tyr Technoflex, but they discontinued them. I constantly scour eBay and google shopping and occasionally can find a pair to buy.

If you had a magic goggle and they discontinued it try that route.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
My bad. I have the F1's and they have been great.

No sweat, I just placed an order for some Roka F1's, TYR Nest Pro's, and Sporti Swedes. I need to dedicate a new drawer to my growing graveyard of failed swim goggles :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
How long does the anti fog last? They make a huge deal about not touching the inside of the goggles to avoid messing with the coating.

Drop of Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo in each socket. Smallest drop you can do and outsides. Rinse and you will never fog on any swim again. Make sure to rinse it all the way out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:
I use the Roka F2's and they've been flawless. I did need to change the nose bridge piece at time of purchase to a smaller bridge.

I used Aquasphere and Tyr before and they leaked really bad on me. Took years to find goggles that didn't leak.

Other tips are to slightly push on the goggle to suction out the air, tuck your chin on push offs and place the straps closer to the crown of your head and not behind the ears.

Good luck. This problem is awful from someone who struggled for a long time with it.

I tried these tips this morning and it actually helped quite a bit. I only had to stop once to adjust the Roka F2's during my 1,750y swim. Since there are quite a few good cheaper recommendations, I think I'll pick a few more pairs up and continue experimenting.

Duncan74 wrote:
I've driven many a swim shop crazy attempting to get something to fit. Clearly it's my fault for having an 'odd' face, and once I finally found a really good shop that could explain the specific issues it save a whole lot of trial and error. Basically I've got quite narrow eye sockets that means the in socket dont seal on the outside, combined with a pronounced neanderthal ledge brow that conflict with goggles that try to go 'over'.

I new use the speedo futuro, which is a nominally a women's goggle, but really means the proportions are scaled to fit my grotesquely distorted features smeared over the head of a 6'4" bloke. And they have been great for the last 2 years, getting through about 5 pairs (3 of which when the seal went between lens and rubber gasket, although that was after plenty of use and I take zero care of them.)

So that's another thing to try if you have a narrow face. Note that although female badged, there is a non pink colour (orange) that I don't find offensive. Noting that I wear them when in swimwear / rubber suit then in no universe is it going to be the colour of goggles that results in someone making mocking comments at me.

It seems we have similar shaped faces. I also have a very narrow face with a fairly pronounced nose. I like to say it's aerodynamic and has a good intake system.

It seems like many are recommending Magic5 goggles, which are pretty pricey, but I suppose I could try out a few of the cheaper options first, including Swedes and the TYR Nest Pro's. Thanks for all the great recommendations and suggestions.

I'd recommend the Roka F1 and go with a smaller nose bridge than supplied. If we're anywhere similar that goggle may be perfect for you as I've been using my one pair for 1.5 years strong. I have them amber mirrored and it brightens things. I've used them for countless long ows last year and still going strong. Got them free too with a $25 coupon. So happy I picked them up. I'm glad my tips helped out. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I ended up going with Arctic Mirror as I'm usually swimming while the sun is still coming up. Good middle ground that is still visible enough while it's dark outside. If they work out well I'll snag a few other colors that are better suited to open water swimming. Texas sun ain't no joke!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like many, I struggled for years to find a leak proof goggle. Tyr Special Ops 2.0 Transition did the magic for me, but that recommendation is as worthless as every other one on this thread, because you need to find what works for you. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Swedes

I think I've spent $30 on Swedes in the past 5 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
Swedes

I think I've spent $30 on Swedes in the past 5 years.

10 pairs, nice!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua Sphere Kayenne is the magic solution for me - the Small size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will cast another vote for Speedo Vanquishers.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fredo_Adagio wrote:

Not to be rude, but I clearly state in my first post that the Vanquishers didn't work.

edit: Apologies! I never included that in my first post. Well, I actually did try the Vanquishers and they didn't work for me.
Last edited by: Th4ddy: Apr 28, 21 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I ended up going with Arctic Mirror as I'm usually swimming while the sun is still coming up. Good middle ground that is still visible enough while it's dark outside. If they work out well I'll snag a few other colors that are better suited to open water swimming. Texas sun ain't no joke!

Sweet! I really think they'll work for you. I did get some water in mine yesterday because when I put my swim cap on I pulled the straps down. Later in my swim I made an adjustment of the straps and was fine. Also tucking my chin on breakouts off the wall is something to keep in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Roka F1's arrived over the weekend and I was able to swim with them. They were horrible in the beginning, every time I pushed off the wall water would leak in, no matter how my head was positioned. However, after tightening them down they were much better. Probably a hair better than the F2's (which also need tightening I'll bet). However, even with the largest raised nose bridge, the goggles still dig into one side of my nose bridge just a bit. It's not too bad, and I didn't even notice the mark until I was done swimming. Overall the F1's are bad, but aren't great. I actually prefer the rubber non-adjustable nose bridge of the F2's.

Looking forward to trying the TYR Nest Pro's and Swede's...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My quick recommendations for when you try out some swedes....

1. One brand comes with a flexible rubber piece (like a piece from the strap) to use for the nose bridge. Don't use this. Use the string + tube that is also provided.

2. Some swedes also come with a bungee to use in place of the rubber strap. I have not had good luck using a bungee with swedes. Use the rudimentary rubber strap.

3. With swedes, I have found that I have to put them on before my swim cap (and not over the cap). This makes a big difference in preventing leakage when pushing off the wall or diving in.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but a piece cut from the headstrap is the best for the nose, especially for those of us with pronounced schnozzes. Much more comfortable and cleaner than a knot and that tube thingy. But certainly yes to your other two points - goggles under cap for practice, or if racing, cap/goggles/cap/

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I believe it's because I have a fairly high nose bridge, so most goggles that fit over my nose bridge are too wide (leaking near the inside of my eye) or if they're narrow enough to fit, the nose bridge isn't high enough and are painful to wear.

I have the the same "build" - skinny oval shaped head with a high bridged large nose. Super aero - joy! I went through tons of goggles until I found the Tyr Nest Pro Nano. The Nano's are narrower and have a more compact frame so I don't get leaking at the eyes and they also fit my nose. I order them from Amazon for around $15.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [onboost91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, exactly my face! Makes the eye sockets seem to be set very deep, but it's the large air intake. I don't think I ordered the Nest Pro Nano's, they appear to be the standard size, so I'll see how the work out when the arrive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great hope they work out! Finding hats that fit right and sunglasses that aren't up over my eyebrows is also always fun. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
Fredo_Adagio wrote:

Not to be rude, but I clearly state in my first post that the Vanquishers didn't work.

edit: Apologies! I never included that in my first post. Well, I actually did try the Vanquishers and they didn't work for me.

Well then I won’t suggest vanquishers!
I do have a high nose bridge, and I definitely need to select the right connector.
One other thought: I think a lot of goggles are foiled by people who don’t mess with the strap enough. The right pair will fit your eye socket so that with not much pushing, one will stay on for a second before falling down with no strap.
Then you need to play with the strap so it’s keeping it on your face (not with crazy push in suction) but not too loose as well.
I think sometimes people put the strap too tight and that deforms your face and causes the nose bridge to stretch away from the nose and leads to leaking. My sense is that you actually want the soft parts of your face to help make the seal, rather than having them mashed down to the bone of the eye socket.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
Th4ddy wrote:
Fredo_Adagio wrote:

Well then I won’t suggest vanquishers!
I do have a high nose bridge, and I definitely need to select the right connector.
One other thought: I think a lot of goggles are foiled by people who don’t mess with the strap enough. The right pair will fit your eye socket so that with not much pushing, one will stay on for a second before falling down with no strap.
Then you need to play with the strap so it’s keeping it on your face (not with crazy push in suction) but not too loose as well.
I think sometimes people put the strap too tight and that deforms your face and causes the nose bridge to stretch away from the nose and leads to leaking. My sense is that you actually want the soft parts of your face to help make the seal, rather than having them mashed down to the bone of the eye socket.

100% correct for sure. I'm fully admit that part of this "process" is me trying to figure out not only with goggles fit me, but how to best fit them on my face. I'm getting close with multiple pairs, and I'm noticing that I generally had ALL goggle too loose. Tightening them down and moving the strap up a bit has certainly helped. Excellent help so far though, I have a feeling I'll find the right pair eventually!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah for me, I have to wear the strap over the angled top part of my head. If it’s lower down it actually pulls the bottom of the goggles down and I’ll never get a good seal. The strap also tends to roll down when it’s there.
If I get a pretty good seal, my assumption is that strap tightness and position is the culprit. When I get a new pair of vanquishers, I have to mess with them several times in the first practice to get them perfect.
Definitely worth experimentation.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
Yeah for me, I have to wear the strap over the angled top part of my head. If it’s lower down it actually pulls the bottom of the goggles down and I’ll never get a good seal. The strap also tends to roll down when it’s there.
If I get a pretty good seal, my assumption is that strap tightness and position is the culprit. When I get a new pair of vanquishers, I have to mess with them several times in the first practice to get them perfect.
Definitely worth experimentation.

This morning I was actually able to swim 1,500 yards without a single leak from the Roka F2's. These have a more flexible rubber nose bridge. I tightened the straps down a tad bit and positioned them a bit higher on my head, but the big difference was that I put them on UNDER my swim cap. I think this was the key, as it kept the goggled more secure on my face while pushing off the wall. Super happy with the results, I'll have to test my other goggles in the same fashion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue because I have "squint" lines on the outside part of my eyes where goggles tend to need smooth skin. I tried the Aquasphere Kayenne and they are phenomenal from not only a seal standpoint, but also the increased vision. I'll never use anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [tuwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had really good luck this morning with the TYR Nest Pro's. Super easy to get a good fit, zero leakage, and comfortable. These may be the winners, just need to see if they come in mirrored or tinted for outdoors.
Quote Reply

Prev Next