Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bad luck with goggles, what to try next?
Quote | Reply
Apparently I have a hard-to-fit face, because I've tried Speedo Speed Socket 2.0, TYR Tracer X, and the Roka F2's, and all of them eventually leak. I believe it's because I have a fairly high nose bridge, so most goggles that fit over my nose bridge are too wide (leaking near the inside of my eye) or if they're narrow enough to fit, the nose bridge isn't high enough and are painful to wear.

The Roka F2's have been the best so far, I've gotten 500 yards into some swims without leaking, but if they aren't situated just right, they'll leak. And leak. And leak. For training this isn't the biggest deal, but a bigger concern for racing, especially in salt water.

Are those fancy Magic5 goggles the answer? Something else I'm missing that would be better for races and training?
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Aquashpere for open water and Swedes in the pool. Great thing about swedes is they're like $3 a pair. A while back I just went swede crazy. I had orange, blue, tinted, gold, freaking everything.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'ver met anyone that didnt fit Speedo Vanquisher 2.0. Not huge visibility open water goggles, but it's all I've ever used and open water field of vision has never been an issue. 2.0 version has a bit better visibility.

I went through the gambit of open water goggles and always end up back with old faithful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tyr Nest Pro have worked well for me and I have trouble with goggles that leak on me
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd the nest pro. Great goggles for me too.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the Speedo Vanquisher (now 2.0). Something about the soft cushioning around the eyes makes the seal tight and comfortable. Like the OP I tried lots of makes and models and this one is my go-to for every form of training and racing in all conditions. I keep a tinted and a clear in my bag so I can swim open water in any light.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Roka F2's and they've been flawless. I did need to change the nose bridge piece at time of purchase to a smaller bridge.

I used Aquasphere and Tyr before and they leaked really bad on me. Took years to find goggles that didn't leak.

Other tips are to slightly push on the goggle to suction out the air, tuck your chin on push offs and place the straps closer to the crown of your head and not behind the ears.

Good luck. This problem is awful from someone who struggled for a long time with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swedes.

I struggled with over a dozen different types of gasketed goggles without any luck. They all wound up leaking after a short time.

Then I was given a pair of swedes, and I've stuck with them ever since. No leaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Magic 5 goggles before Christmas - and I have swam 65 times so far in them. I have never had a goggle I wasn't constantly adjusting and such, but these go on at the beginning of the workout and don't leave my face. Diving in during mankillers, starts off blocks, no readjustments or anything. This weekend will be the first with them in open water but I am sure that I will love them there too.

Count me non vanquisher - couldn't make them work comfortably. But my kids both swear by them - and swim much more than me haha.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magic 5 hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goggles yep I have had my problems. Stay away from Zoggs. Have had really good luck with New Wave available from Amazon. Many different lense colors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered two pairs of Magic5 after *years* of dealing with swedes/aquasphere.

My issue is that the goggles would be great for a few months, but then would constantly fog despite spit, baby shampoo, anti-fog spray, etc. Plus, they would eventually leak.

I'll check back in with the Magic5 goggles after I get some swims with them.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another one for magic 5.
one more point to add is you don't have to press them to your face hard since they are customized to your face, so much more comfortable after a long swim
also, amazing customer support
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have your same problem with the ROKA F2, for the same reason. but i have no problem with the F1. i stick with that goggle because of the price, and the lens (dark amber, i do all my swimming outdoors), and the fit.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the full suit of goggles for my odd shaped face, and they got cheaper and cheaper as I tried more and more. Eventually splashed out on Magic5. They fit perfectly and have a great field of view. I have been using them for about 18months both in pool and OW/races. They are only recently showing signs of wear on the lens coating and I might have to go a new pair. The only negative was the wait time for them to be made and shipped to Australia. While they aren't cheap, I'm sure I've spend less on goggles since having these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swedes

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long does the anti fog last? They make a huge deal about not touching the inside of the goggles to avoid messing with the coating.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look up pig and snake on amazon. no seriously.

its a smaller company out of the austin texas area. these are the most comfortable goggles ive ever wore. absolutely love them.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I use Aquashpere for open water and Swedes in the pool. Great thing about swedes is they're like $3 a pair. A while back I just went swede crazy. I had orange, blue, tinted, gold, freaking everything.

What site did you buy them from?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been over the moon happy with Arena Corba Core Swipe. Every goggle I’ve owned I’ve had to jam the gaskets into my face, deforming them to get leak free suction. It’s painful, but worked. With the Arenas, I almost returned them because I couldn’t get them to deform and suction in my home. But they looked like such a good fit for my face that I took them to the pool. I put them on almost like sunglasses and no leaks! I have the straps very loose. I guess I learned that when goggles fit right, they don’t have to be uncomfortable. The anti fog, colors, and peripheral vision are all great too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first pair of magic5 really were magic - having always struggled with goggles they just went on and worked, all the time, every time.
my 2nd pair, produced from the same scan, are good but just not quite magic - they fit well but i can never get them to quite sit right. i raised this with them and they sent a new pair in case there was some production issue but they're much the same.

definitely consider them worth a try if nothing else is working for you. they are quite similar to the roka r1 i was using previously - small, in the socket style rather than the larger goggles that sit over your eye socket
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've driven many a swim shop crazy attempting to get something to fit. Clearly it's my fault for having an 'odd' face, and once I finally found a really good shop that could explain the specific issues it save a whole lot of trial and error. Basically I've got quite narrow eye sockets that means the in socket dont seal on the outside, combined with a pronounced neanderthal ledge brow that conflict with goggles that try to go 'over'.

I new use the speedo futuro, which is a nominally a women's goggle, but really means the proportions are scaled to fit my grotesquely distorted features smeared over the head of a 6'4" bloke. And they have been great for the last 2 years, getting through about 5 pairs (3 of which when the seal went between lens and rubber gasket, although that was after plenty of use and I take zero care of them.)

So that's another thing to try if you have a narrow face. Note that although female badged, there is a non pink colour (orange) that I don't find offensive. Noting that I wear them when in swimwear / rubber suit then in no universe is it going to be the colour of goggles that results in someone making mocking comments at me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

What site did you buy them from?

Usually swimoutlet.

https://m.swimoutlet.com/...rap-21093/?color=208

Here’s a pair for $2.80 tinted black. Free shipping on orders over $49 so you’ll have some shopping to do.

You can do Amazon too but they’re more like $10. I’ve tried the speedo ones and I like the Sporti swim outlet brand better. IMO Sporti Swedish goggles are one of those things all swimmers should try and give a good honest chance to. They’re damned near free they’re so cheap and even a lot of pros use them.

If you’re not familiar with Swedes they have no rubber and just seal against your eye socket. Usually have a bungee as a strap. You can either use string or a small piece of goggle strap that comes with it as a node piece.

Until themagic5 came out recently this was the only custom goggle I was aware of and many pros used them and loved them.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nest Pro in the pool, Zone 3 Vapour in open water. No leaks, good vision, comfortable fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with goggles, what to try next? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
I use the Roka F2's and they've been flawless. I did need to change the nose bridge piece at time of purchase to a smaller bridge.

I used Aquasphere and Tyr before and they leaked really bad on me. Took years to find goggles that didn't leak.

Other tips are to slightly push on the goggle to suction out the air, tuck your chin on push offs and place the straps closer to the crown of your head and not behind the ears.

Good luck. This problem is awful from someone who struggled for a long time with it.

I tried these tips this morning and it actually helped quite a bit. I only had to stop once to adjust the Roka F2's during my 1,750y swim. Since there are quite a few good cheaper recommendations, I think I'll pick a few more pairs up and continue experimenting.

Duncan74 wrote:
I've driven many a swim shop crazy attempting to get something to fit. Clearly it's my fault for having an 'odd' face, and once I finally found a really good shop that could explain the specific issues it save a whole lot of trial and error. Basically I've got quite narrow eye sockets that means the in socket dont seal on the outside, combined with a pronounced neanderthal ledge brow that conflict with goggles that try to go 'over'.

I new use the speedo futuro, which is a nominally a women's goggle, but really means the proportions are scaled to fit my grotesquely distorted features smeared over the head of a 6'4" bloke. And they have been great for the last 2 years, getting through about 5 pairs (3 of which when the seal went between lens and rubber gasket, although that was after plenty of use and I take zero care of them.)

So that's another thing to try if you have a narrow face. Note that although female badged, there is a non pink colour (orange) that I don't find offensive. Noting that I wear them when in swimwear / rubber suit then in no universe is it going to be the colour of goggles that results in someone making mocking comments at me.

It seems we have similar shaped faces. I also have a very narrow face with a fairly pronounced nose. I like to say it's aerodynamic and has a good intake system.

It seems like many are recommending Magic5 goggles, which are pretty pricey, but I suppose I could try out a few of the cheaper options first, including Swedes and the TYR Nest Pro's. Thanks for all the great recommendations and suggestions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next