Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
lassekk wrote:
So Garmin are allowed to make a spd-sl solution?
Would that mean Shimano maybe have opened it up to others too?

I thought I had read that the SPD patent was due to expire this spring. I believe this is the reason you are now seeing the new pedals (SRAM and Garmin) come out. Hoping Favero follows suit.

I think we are also seeing a consolidation of the market. SpeedPlay was bought by Wahoo and I believe it was SRAM that bought the Look pedal business. This makes pretty much the entire road market controlled by 3 companies. Shimano has never seemed super interested in the power meter market, so they might be willing to license the mountain/gravel format in order to shut out everyone else.

SRAM has been pretty aggressive and innovated with 1X and wireless, and they have been super aggressive acquiring technologies and companies, so from a pure business standpoint it would make sense for Shimano to control what they can. You have to figure SRAM bought PowerTap for some reason, other than to kill off the power hub market.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
companies like SRAM are starting to offer some really nice crack-based systems in the $400 range.

Those must be freebase systems.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the Garmin Rally RK200 pedals for about a week and a half. I did my review and I'm giving the pair away. Here are my quick thoughts but I'm happy to answer questions here if you guys have any.

• Data looks solid in my limited testing against a quarq and Kickr Core (Garmin claims +-1%)
• New battery door and metal threading corrects for the Vector 3 battery drop out issues.
• New pedal body conversion kit looks very promising for those that want to switch the pedal types seasonally (gravel / cx / road)
• Switching pedals body types isn't horrible (15-20 minutes if you have the right tools)
• Just like the Vector 3 switching between bikes was easy.
• Expensive AF

YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
velocomp wrote:
lassekk wrote:
So Garmin are allowed to make a spd-sl solution?
Would that mean Shimano maybe have opened it up to others too?

I thought I had read that the SPD patent was due to expire this spring. I believe this is the reason you are now seeing the new pedals (SRAM and Garmin) come out. Hoping Favero follows suit.

I think we are also seeing a consolidation of the market. SpeedPlay was bought by Wahoo and I believe it was SRAM that bought the Look pedal business. This makes pretty much the entire road market controlled by 3 companies. Shimano has never seemed super interested in the power meter market, so they might be willing to license the mountain/gravel format in order to shut out everyone else.

SRAM has been pretty aggressive and innovated with 1X and wireless, and they have been super aggressive acquiring technologies and companies, so from a pure business standpoint it would make sense for Shimano to control what they can. You have to figure SRAM bought PowerTap for some reason, other than to kill off the power hub market.

It was Time pedals, not LOOK, that SRAM purchased...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't get the price point. A quarq or power2max is equal to, or cheaper than, the single sided pedals, and the assioma duo with an spd xpeedo pedal body is cheaper than the double sided if you really want pedals. Not sure there's anything that would convince me to pay $1k or more for a power meter. Granted, i'm more willing to swap cranks if need be or take apart pedals than most people, but still.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking those are MSRP prices and they will be lower when many shops have stock.

The Garmin Vector 3 is listed for $999 but it's not hard to find it for $800 if you have time to wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose. I just figure if I can get cranks/chainrings/power meter spider/bottom bracket for less than these cost MSRP, I just feel like there's a disconnect there. If you already have cranks or chainrings, the total cost is comparable to the single sided. Plus $200 for pedal bodies? Seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A single crank-based power meter is cheaper. I think the benefits of this system come when you want to have power on multiple bikes (that do not necessarily have fully compatible parts) AND you want to minimize your measurement error.

In this use case, this system ends up being more competitively priced.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [Hurrikate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But in that case you could easily buy two powermeters for multiple bikes.

for $1200 + $200 for the body you would be spending $1400 for power on both a road and an MTB, let's say.

For around $800 I could buy 2 Quarqs and put them on both the road bike and MTB. I'd never have to do any mechanical work so screwing up the accuracy if you do something wrong is a non-starter.

even if the parts weren't compatile, tthere are a multitude of crank options for any conceivable system. you could go quarq, P2m. want to take a gamble, there's always xcadey and sigeyi. Heck, for $1400 you could buy 4 stages powermeters of 4 4iiis.
Quote Reply

Prev Next