Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit?
Quote | Reply
I'm accustomed to getting breaking bike tech news from DC Rainmaker. But here is a story about Garmin power pedals in SPD and SPD/road formats: https://cyclingtips.com/...d-sl-and-spd-models/. Nothing from DC AFAIK. Legit or deep fake? Maybe leaked before the media embargo?
Last edited by: giorgitd: Mar 22, 21 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen an actual photo of them, so yes, the SPD is real.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll stick to my Assioma Duo's on Xpedo SPD. Garmin will need a solid year to sort out whatever horrendous bugs are on those early pedals. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan must be having dinner because this is the longest one of these threads has probably stayed up today. CyclingTips has the dope. Everyone else is seething under an embargo, I guess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tune in tomorrow...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
CyclingTips has the dope. Everyone else is seething under an embargo, I guess.

I am guessing that CT is under an embargo too. The are sidestepping around it by reporting on a TrainerRoad forum thread, not on the pedals themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SPD-SL's are basically just Garmin Vector 3's. They apparently even use the same disposable batteries as the Vector 3's. Would have much rather seen a rechargeable Li-ion battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda funny that Iā€™m the opposite on batteries. Iā€™m considering the Favero pedals but I do not want rechargeable batteries. Pretty soon my bike will need 4-5 things charged to function šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes itā€™s legit. There was a thread on the tr forum yesterday that got removed/deleted. A guy was able to get his hands on the spd version from his local bike store. Thereā€™s also a thread on WW about it too.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
The SPD-SL's are basically just Garmin Vector 3's. They apparently even use the same disposable batteries as the Vector 3's. Would have much rather seen a rechargeable Li-ion battery.

If they're "just Vector 3's" then I would consider that as a good thing, not a negative, since Garmin has had a few years to work through all of the various bugs and issues on that platform. what's the rule for power meters? never buy a low serial number?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These were getting trialed in the Calgary area up to a year ago. We have a Garmin site just outside town and they were recruiting testers for these pedals last year as Covid came crashing in. I just missed out on a test spot unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I'll stick to my Assioma Duo's on Xpedo SPD. Garmin will need a solid year to sort out whatever horrendous bugs are on those early pedals. :)

Probably a good call. I was kind of interested until I saw the $1200 price. I think it was DCRainmaker who said he thought the Wahoo pedal would be given a premium price of $1000. I am not sure Garminā€™s power meter reputation places them in the ā€œpremiumā€ category and companies like SRAM are starting to offer some really nice crack-based systems in the $400 range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My client in Central Floridia got his 1-leg Rally's yesterday, and my Chicago client got his today. No pics yet on the SPD's in Chicago, but the Looks here look, well, decently high quality.

The trick is that you can pull the pedal off, keeping the spindle, and swap platforms. They've got Look Keo, SPD-SL, and SPD platforms. The Platforms are $200 each.

We have no idea if they work or are accurate, as they're so new and weather is preventing real outside rides. The FL client is a dev working on Garmin Apps and Fields and is an Ultracyclist.

These are so new, there were no instructions included.

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pedal bodies will work on existing Garmin Vector 3 pedals as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. That pricing is unrealistic. Favero's rumored shimano spindle is going to trounce them in the market at that price point.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These look linteresting, but $1,200 for a power meter solution in 2021 is ridiculous. These make some sense at half that price.
Last edited by: hiro11: Mar 24, 21 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
Agreed. That pricing is unrealistic. Favero's rumored shimano spindle is going to trounce them in the market at that price point.

I hope so. My faveroā€™s for road have been flawless. It would be nice if favero came out with spd version. Although for any gravel racing I do itā€™s rare I focus on racing at a certain power level
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Dan must be having dinner because this is the longest one of these threads has probably stayed up today. CyclingTips has the dope. Everyone else is seething under an embargo, I guess.

it's on our front page now. our policy on embargoes is that we honor them, until the embargo is broken. however, if the embargo is broken then we only write what we know exclusive of what we learn from the manufacturer. i didn't feel i knew enough to write anything useful, and the embargo had only another day to run. i didn't feel it necessary to pull down from our forum info that was available elsewhere (e.g., cycling tips).

besides, i was building up my new road bike in my workshop (finally), so had bigger fish to fry!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that $1,200 is insane, but the conversion kit is actually very interesting.
For someone with existing V3 spending $250 to be able to switch to SPD is really cool. Its not like you'll switch them back and forth every day, but its about 5 minutes of work so not that big of a deal either
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the hell is going on in the power meter world right now for Pedals? Weren't these all supposed to be cheaper? As I said in the Wahoo thread, I feel dumb not having bought a second pioneer crank.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Garmin are allowed to make a spd-sl solution?
Would that mean Shimano maybe have opened it up to others too?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I would say half $600 for dual sided pedal power would be TOO good of a deal. 700-800 would be acceptable. The ability to just bring it anywhere with you and have power even on a loaner bike is worth something. Lets be frank though, unless you are a cycle tourist who rents lots of bikes, or you use gym bikes alot and bring the pedals, this isnt a huge concern. Most people considering a pedal power meter are going to have their own smart trainer and travel with their bikes.

At $1200 for the pair and $200 for the bodies I could buy two quarq cranks for $800, two seperate pedals systems for say $250, and still have $350 left over and have power on multiple bikes without ever having to do any mechanical work. Heck, I could buy 4 stages or 4iii crankarms and have power for 4 bikes. Yea the portability of the rally is going to be worth something, but is it a $400 something? Not to me. Favero is selling at around - $700 which is a much more sensible price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:

Yeah, Iā€™ve really wanted a Vector 4 with rechargeable batteries. The SPD-SL is nice, but just a huge miss on batteries. Relatedly, I recently bought a pair of Vector 3 (replacing some dead P2), hoping they had their issues sorted. On their third ride I was getting low battery warnings.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
I agree that $1,200 is insane, but the conversion kit is actually very interesting.
For someone with existing V3 spending $250 to be able to switch to SPD is really cool. Its not like you'll switch them back and forth every day, but its about 5 minutes of work so not that big of a deal either

It seems that more companies are coming out with SPD power option. SRAM, Garmin. There are rumors that Favero is also going to be doing this. If so, I would rather spend $200 more and get 2 sets of pedals (1 road, 1 spd) from Favero (Assiomas) than 1 of Garmin or SRAM and try to swap bodies. I have the Assioma Duos and they are just awesome and just work. They are waterproof and rechargable. They hold a long charge (50+ hours). I'm not sure that Garmin really competes or has any advantages other than name.

I really hope Favero comes through. I would expect something soon though if they don't want to lose the market opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Rally power pedals - SPD and SPD-SL - legit? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
So Garmin are allowed to make a spd-sl solution?
Would that mean Shimano maybe have opened it up to others too?

I thought I had read that the SPD patent was due to expire this spring. I believe this is the reason you are now seeing the new pedals (SRAM and Garmin) come out. Hoping Favero follows suit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next