Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I'm going around in circles and can't decide between an aerohead or codatronca.

Please please please can someone talk me into one or the other? Concerns with the aerohead is everyone seems to complain how heavy it is. But also regularly is mentioned as being the fastest.

There is little info on the Codatronca but seems it might be the better option?

Codatronca has an issue, which is that the visor drops on the nose when riding. I manage to over come this to unclip the back part of the structural part on the back side and screw it literally with a screw further forward in the helmet. So that the helmet sits further back on your head. I also used the dremel on the visor to cut out the nose gap a bit higher.
We do have a sample visor from MET direclty that would help the ‘ nose touching’ issue but as far as i know it went not in production.

For the rest it was my helmet to go………until i got the Rudy Project The Wing.
That is for the winner of all times. It is light, almost like road helmer, the fron of the visor is cut higher so you don’t look at the edge of the helmet (that sounds small but in practice it an excellent feature), you get it on really east\y because you can make slightly wider then you need in fit and when on you can adjust the fit with 2 fingers on the fly, it is super cool (for an aero helmet) due to the fact that the vent on the front sits exactly in the right spot. And actually not that small as a lot of people mentioned. I fit an S/M but sold L to a guy with head size 63 cm

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aerohead is actually a much harder helmet to use than people think. What I mean is that it takes alot of neck and shoulder strength to get into the correct position. Basically what I find with the helmet is that:

- People do not wear it correctly, it sits alot higher on your head so you are actually looking under the visor when sitting upright.
- Your head needs to be low enough to where you are over your hands which hinders your view alot. Because of this, it favors you to have a low hands position.
- You need to keep your shoulders rolled forward in order to minimize the gap between your shoulders and the end of the helmet.
- Lastly, you need a really narrow frontal area on the bike, pretty much to the point where your forearms are squeezing the bottle between your arms or pretty much almost touching.

People that can ride in this position are basically unicorns in both the amateur and pro field.
Last edited by: Charleslo_99: Jun 11, 21 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, I was thinking of this very thing earlier today about longer tailed helmets being harder to use.

I have the Giro Advantage 2 (not the aerohead) which has a small tail, and Ive only used it twice in two races but I figure I should really investigate if I'm using it right or if there's a better choice. I got on my Kickr with my TT bike, put on the helmet, and saw that while it wasn't terrible, I had a small gap between the tail and my back in my preferred riding position. Enough of a gap that you'd definitely comment on it if you saw a pro riding predominantly in that position.

I can get rid of that gap by turtling my head and shoulders, but honestly I don't see myself riding like that unless I'm going 27+mph which means likely downhill to some degree.

In addition, I definitely drop my head frequently when I'm doing hard efforts, and then that aero tail goes right up into the wind negating all the benefits you've gotten from it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion as to TT helmets that may function more equally whether the head is up or down, even if it's at a small speed cost compared to a ideal tucked/turtled head position. Maybe something like the Smith Podium TT which doesn't have a pronounced tail?
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
The Aerohead is actually a much harder helmet to use than people think. What I mean is that it takes alot of neck and shoulder strength to get into the correct position. Basically what I find with the helmet is that:

I haven't had any of the trouble you're talking about. It's slightly more bulky than other helmets, that's about it. Tests well on me. Not really a unicorn - pretty standard position. Though I'm naturally pretty narrow.

I believe the Aerohead tests well broadly across lots of other people as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Maybe something like the Smith Podium TT which doesn't have a pronounced tail?

The POC Cerebel and the Rudy Aero Wing probably fall into that category.

I've used both in mass start track events, where the head is often up quite a bit. The Aero Wing is a bit of a chore to get on for me, but that's not a bother for me in track racing. They've both been super comfortable once on.

I still need to test those vs. my Aerohead for track pursuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this bike fit two years ago with ERO. Although it looks like im looking down based on my visor, I'm actually looking about 1-2 inches above my hands. If I look down, the back of the helmet won't stick that far out into the wind, but there will be a lot of turbulence created due to the sharp cutoff. It's also a very flat helmet from the side so looking side to side will also cause alot of drag.
If you are looking around alot and moving your head, I would probably go with something like the POC Cerebel or Lazer Victor. They are alot more rounded at the tail so they won't create as much turbulence with head movement. Rounded shapes are going to create alot less turbulence than a blunt shape.
Quote Reply

Prev Next