Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best aero helmet! What o you use?
Quote | Reply
   On the market for a tt aero helmet!
I have a old Lois garneau rocket small! bought a giro aerohead small and it’s not comfort to me! The visor squeeze my ears too much!!! I was think going to P-09.
What do you use ? Any advice?
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [loganvass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loganvass wrote:
I have a old Lois garneau rocket small! bought a giro aerohead small and it’s not comfort to me! The visor squeeze my ears too much!!! I was think going to P-09.
Thank you!

The question is really pointless without the context of photos or videos of bike fit.

This is such a personal topic. It spans budget, body position on the bike, race demands like temperature and distance, etc.......

My best advice to you is to first post back with what your target races are. How far, how hot might they be. Then post up a photo of your bike fit. Then just maybe, folks could give a few to try.

After that, you still don't know.

I've owned 4 different lids in a year and tested in the field 6 including road helmets. This took a lot of time. But, so far it has yielded me nearly 10w free. And that's not to say I don't need to try more.

So..........that's really the journey. It isn't just an open ended question of "what should I buy".

If you want the simplest possible answer of "go buy this" with no testing and us not being provided any information...........just go spend your cash on a Giro Aerohead and we can close the topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an LG P-09. It is comfortable for me. Before that, I had a Bell Javelin. It was also very comfortable for me. I wear a large-- my head is huge.

In my research, the Aerohead, P-09, Javelin/Advantage, and Bambino have been consistently judged most likely to be fastest for most people without access to wind tunnel testing. I would pick one of the others and give it a try. I think the next fastest behind the Aerohead are the P-09 and Bambino.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

If you want the simplest possible answer of "go buy this" with no testing and us not being provided any information...........just go spend your cash on a Giro Aerohead and we can close the topic.

Not everyone has spent a lifetime on ST and knows what questions to ask. Be kind.

Also, if you read the OPs post, they literally said they tried the Aerohead and it wasn't comfortable. Then you went on and suggested the Aerohead. Lol

To OP, since the Aerohead didn't work for you, maybe take a look at the POC and P-09. I believe both are fast for many, and they all fit very differently. But if you can figure out how to test them, do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
loganvass wrote:
Thank you!

The question is really pointless without the context of photos or videos of bike fit.

This is such a personal topic. It spans budget, body position on the bike, race demands like temperature and distance, etc.......

My best advice to you is to first post back with what your target races are. How far, how hot might they be. Then post up a photo of your bike fit. Then just maybe, folks could give a few to try.

After that, you still don't know.

I've owned 4 different lids in a year and tested in the field 6 including road helmets. This took a lot of time. But, so far it has yielded me nearly 10w free. And that's not to say I don't need to try more.

So..........that's really the journey. It isn't just an open ended question of "what should I buy".

Spot on all around. For optimal results you have to consider body and head position and then test, test and test more. I use a POC Tempor for TTs as time and again it has proven to be the fastest for me and my position. For Ironman distance I was using a Giro Aerohead. There is an increase in drag, but the ventilation is required for that kind of distance.

In general I've rarely heard of people who test poorly in the Aerohead, but I'm sure there are outliers. Maybe the Medium size is what you need. I also must acknowledge that plenty test well in the P-09 also. Nothing is guaranteed without testing.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Mar 15, 21 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my n=1 experience, I also found the Aerohead to be a little tight. Was in a med. LG Vorttice, found the Aerohead in medium to be a little tight. Ended up sizing up to a large.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
without formal testing, best you can do is pick one of the helmet that "generally" tests well on a range of people. After you narrow down to those couple (some good suggestions, and you've already got a P-09 which isn't a terrible hedge) pick the one that fits best and that you think looks coolest, tell yourself it's the best one :D

I always tell people that aren't going to be testing to buy an aerohead for bigger budget, A2/Selector for middling budget and Javelin for cheapie budget. Sizing up on the aerohead isn't a terrible thing to try either (if you aren't already in the largest size)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you size up in the aerohead? That's still the helmet that gives you the best odds of having the fastest helmet w/out testing.

Then I'd look at the Poc Cerebral.

After that it gets more murky and more of a toss up. Helmets that would probably be a decent step up from a road aero helmet would be in no particular order
the P09
selector/javelin although sometimes you get really different results with helmets that are pretty damn similar
Poc tempur if you can find one
some of the other shorter tailed helmets

The new Rudy helmet looks to have some potential. I've got my hands on one for testing in April if anyone is wanting to test it.

The reality is if you're not going to test I'd choose the helmet that seems to have the greatest time savings with the most people and that's the Giro Aerohead.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I too have a Giro aero and find the ear covers uncomfortably tight. I simply removed the foam inserts on the ear pieces and now find it comfortable.

Try it and see.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Not everyone has spent a lifetime on ST and knows what questions to ask. Be kind.

Also, if you read the OPs post, they literally said they tried the Aerohead and it wasn't comfortable. Then you went on and suggested the Aerohead. Lol

To OP, since the Aerohead didn't work for you, maybe take a look at the POC and P-09. I believe both are fast for many, and they all fit very differently. But if you can figure out how to test them, do that.

Reading > me.......off to the coffee pot for round 2! I'm not awake yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
And for everyone thank you for the advice and criticism!
I will try elaborate my question better next time!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there, thanks for your reply - which POC do your recommend for an aero'ish helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [mccccc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mccccc wrote:
Hey there, thanks for your reply - which POC do your recommend for an aero'ish helmet?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7473744#p7473744

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro Aerohead medium
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@desertdude -

How much faster would you say the Giro Aerohead is against, say an 'average' aerodynamically shaped helmet?

I have a Giro Advantage 2 that I pretty much only wear on race day, never tested it, and probably never will do detailed aero testing as I'm just a MOPer, but I do have the cash to drop on a new aero helmet that I'd probably use only a weekly basis on my Saturday training rides to get used to it (I've upgraded everything, and the times are showing the aero advantage for sure!) so if it's more than a few seconds per hour of racing, I will likely pull the trigger.

Last edited by: lightheir: Jun 9, 21 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have any test results to back it up, but I use a Kask Mistral. Previously I had a Kask K31 but it was involved in a wreck and needed to be replaced.

The mistral is a comfortable, light helmet, that breathes pretty well. I’m in a sweltering hot area and a few times I was getting bothered by sweat. I drilled some holes into the shield to help with ventilation and that seems to have helped. I don’t know that my bike position is best for a long tail helmet, so I think this short/medium tail option is better suited for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
@desertdude -

How much faster would you say the Giro Aerohead is against, say an 'average' aerodynamically shaped helmet?

Over half a decade ago I'd say stick with the A2 as it was routinely in the top 3 helmets for 90+ % of the people.

Now it's almost never in the top 3. When I first started testing it was the (please hold, goes through all old data) 3rd fastest helmet for me. Now (goes through lots more data, keep holding) it's not even in the top 8 fastest helmets for me as best as I can figure.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, may have to upgrade!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going around in circles and can't decide between an aerohead or codatronca.

Please please please can someone talk me into one or the other? Concerns with the aerohead is everyone seems to complain how heavy it is. But also regularly is mentioned as being the fastest.

There is little info on the Codatronca but seems it might be the better option?
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Please please please can someone talk me into one or the other? Concerns with the aerohead is everyone seems to complain how heavy it is. But also regularly is mentioned as being the fastest.

If you're in the US, the MET Codatronca isn't CPSC-approved so you can't buy them in the US or use them in USA Triathlon sanctioned races. Also doesn't have MIPS, if you care.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
dunno wrote:

If you're in the US, the MET Codatronca isn't CPSC-approved so you can't buy them in the US or use them in USA Triathlon sanctioned races. Also doesn't have MIPS, if you care.

Do they ever check/care? I've never had anyone look at my helmet? Maybe just been lucky?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I'm going around in circles and can't decide between an aerohead or codatronca

If u ride head down depending on head shape aero head can be quite non aero if the tail ends poking up whereas met shorter tail doesn't have same issue when I tried it and eyeballed it.

I had the aero head and just found weight a killer for 70.3 and longer rides with my head drooping despite exercises and strengthening, also its pretty hot here (100+) so any visor aero helmets u do feel heat - I currently use a met manta due to weight heat and aero vs aerohead (my head shape means u can tilt the manta back off my forehead but the aerohead cannot)... and looking at the Codatronca also not sure if ventilation is much different than the aerohead.

Mets are definitely nice helmets no issue with quality, the manta is now mips maybe codatronca will be mips in future.
Last edited by: Kipstar: Jun 10, 21 22:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
aravilare wrote:
dunno wrote:

Do they ever check/care? I've never had anyone look at my helmet? Maybe just been lucky?

No, I've never been proactively checked. But it's an auto DQ if someone vindictive decides to snitch on you (except at the IM WCs).

Probably more of a hassle sourcing one and/or getting warranty/crash replacements.

re: weight, I've never had issues, but I also wear a Large when I'm a couple inches below the US average height, so maybe I'm used to carrying a large head and ego.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Garneau Superlegerra and just recently upgraded to a P-09 and am impressed with the increase in attention to detail. The P-09 creates a smaller envelope punching through space, and I doubt Lionel would have used it for his hour record if he felt there was something faster out there. It is light, comfortable and fast. Great combination.
Quote Reply
Re: Best aero helmet! What o you use? [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sponsorship $$$ is the main reason he used it.

But I agree, great lid. I've been using it the past few years with no issue other than the ear flaps are a bit fragile.
Quote Reply

Prev Next