Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed watching all of this race. Both the men's and women's races were fantastic. Any extra exposure to the sport will help all of us.
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can run some numbers tomorrow and hopefully put these number in context, say how it compares to other niche programming such as NBC/NBCSN's cycling coverage such as the Flanders/Paris-Roubaix from last year.

The key numbers here are, for live broadcast (non-regular TV or Connected TV) on Peacock they had about 100k registered users with average 32 min of viewing, and for regular TV, the highlight show on NBC/NBCSN has 600k average viewers, 1.1m unique views (who tune in during the broadcast window), and 88.91% reach (this one needs some context: I think it's based on all households capable of watching that program, and the number seems high).
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I can run some numbers tomorrow and hopefully put these number in context, say how it compares to other niche programming such as NBC/NBCSN's cycling coverage such as the Flanders/Paris-Roubaix from last year.

The key numbers here are, for live broadcast (non-regular TV or Connected TV) on Peacock they had about 100k registered users with average 32 min of viewing, and for regular TV, the highlight show on NBC/NBCSN has 600k average viewers, 1.1m unique views (who tune in during the broadcast window), and 88.91% reach (this one needs some context: I think it's based on all households capable of watching that program, and the number seems high).

I would be interested to see what happens after novelty wears off... plus, and this is big one, they have more competition for eyeballs (they launched in a time literally devoid of most original sports programming and interested views dying for anything tri related).

To project anything off this singular event, with really unusual and unique circumstance... is pretty shaky. No sponsor/advertiser would go heavy against this one data point.
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

Reach is kind of a dumb one to throw out there, niche sports do it a lot because it sounds like a lot. But, it's more fluff than not. CBS, NBC, and FOX main channels are all in the 85-90% reach capability as they're free and can still be received via antenna. So the theory is that 100% of households with a TV are connected to those channels so you can still possibly reach them etc.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
dalava wrote:

Reach is kind of a dumb one to throw out there, niche sports do it a lot because it sounds like a lot. But, it's more fluff than not. CBS, NBC, and FOX main channels are all in the 85-90% reach capability as they're free and can still be received via antenna. So the theory is that 100% of households with a TV are connected to those channels so you can still possibly reach them etc.

Yes the reach number is kind of meaningless number, and sometime I might make things look worse. If they had a 88.91% reach (meaning at some period of time during which the PTO program was aired, the combined NBC/NBCSN networks were available to 88.91% of total US reachable households), but only had 600k average viewers, you can see the rating is pretty low. But rating numbers are only meaningful when you compare and index against others (for the share).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remind me again, was the NBC telecast "live" or was it the weekend after Daytona? Obviously the online feed was live; did that say *only* 100k downloads?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Remind me again, was the NBC telecast "live" or was it the weekend after Daytona? Obviously the online feed was live; did that say *only* 100k downloads?
Yeah the NBC feed was not live. It might have been even later than a week after. Kind of forget. But the 100k downloads was probably the most impressive number to me. 100k watching that live is a really good start, even if they weren't watching for very long. Plus the PTO probably got a good amount of money from donations there. Certainly not enough to cover any part of the event, but something to at least help offset costs. Or maybe justify a subscription service in the future.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NBC and NBCSN showed the 48-min highlight, with NBC showing quite a few weeks later than the event, but NBCSN showed the day after or something like that. Yes, the live streaming had 100k registered users with average 32 min viewing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some interesting tidbits after I ran some comparison numbers, the 48-min highlight show on NBC had about 0.54 rating/0.9 share, so not too bad. The 3 DMAs with the most viewers are Tampa-St.Pete (Sarasota), LA, and DFW.
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A race in Monaco would be amazing!! as a big F1 fan that would be a bucket list event :D

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Abu Dhabi has actually a race on it, Triyas that I have done couple of times. The track is so wide that you can actually take all the corners on the aero bars except corner #7 as you come down the hill and it's pretty tight.
Great race and very enjoyable, I was supposed to do it this year but unfortunately it is postponed.

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched it on the Peacock, I wonder what those numbers were.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got to chat with the famous bob babbit today. he will be at miami. the reason for success and partnership with nascar, is challenge North America's wife is connected to nascar, thus them setting up all these events at tracks and getting on their big tv base. These venues ideal since they fill center lake up for bass fishing championships. win-win-win
Quote Reply
Re: Daytona viewership statistics shared by Challenge/PTO [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I was there. It was actually pretty sad there was so much drafting on that little track though. Sure there were people getting busted but such a small track & packs formed quickly on the bike. I actually forgot my number on the bike & had to drop it before the mount line, run all the way back to transition on the far side in my bike shoes, and run back. Had a super slow bike time obviously. But the course that was really fun, was Spain in 2019. There was a big climb & some really technical sections on the bike...but the bathroom situation was just horrible...like Spain doesn't know how to properly account for proper number of athletes to bathroom ratio.
Quote Reply

Prev Next