Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [KEnglish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As tyre and wheel interactions are so important, we donā€™t plan to introduce hookless which would limit tyre choice. As it stands thereā€™s no make of tyre which we donā€™t allow for use on our wheels, the rim bed is really high quality so no sealing issues either. Itā€™s hard to make rims as deep as the Titan too, loads of R&D for a rim like that!

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Hookless solves a real problem, it's just a manufacturing expense problem, not a performance or reliability problem.... and since the savings are not passed on to the consumer, I for one am not excited about the tire limitations hookless imposes on the customer.

What do you mean the savings are not passed on to the consumer?

The 2020 Zipp 303 Firecrest is US$1900 retail. The prior generation of the model of the same name was US$2200 retail.

Way back in 2015 the SES 4.5 was US$2900 retail with DT240s. Now they start at $2550 (granted with ENVE hubs instead of DTs). And the Foundation 45's are $1600.

Since when have Zipp and ENVE ever reduced prices?

I think some here have come up with the conspiracy theory that Zipp/ENVE are just lowering prices to compete with nearly-equivalent products that are much cheaper, and using "hookless" as a cover story. But I'm not so sure about that.

Correlation does not get causation. Market forces are more powerful than good will of passing any cost savings to the customer. If you can't compete in a price war you figure out how to make things cheaper or you lose. Its doubtful that any savings is passed to the customer because its cheaper to make the product. The reason prices go down is because the market balances all prices which is good for the customer but not because of any companies "good will."
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:

Correlation does not get causation. Market forces are more powerful than good will of passing any cost savings to the customer. If you can't compete in a price war you figure out how to make things cheaper or you lose. Its doubtful that any savings is passed to the customer because its cheaper to make the product. The reason prices go down is because the market balances all prices which is good for the customer but not because of any companies "good will."

First, who said anything about good will? I didn't. Lowering prices is probably about gaining/preserving market share, regardless of whether the it's because of lower manufacturing cost or any other reason.

And of course we can't prove causation. That's why I referred to the conspiracy theory option. There are other options as well. But neither can you disprove my assertion that it might be related to manufacturing cost. And I'm bolstered by a good number of wheel engineers from a variety of companies who all say the same thing. But maybe they're all being coerced into holding the company line.

But Zipp/Enve have a decades long history of regular and consistent price increases. Beating inflation. That consistent ramp had a sudden change right about the time they rolled out their hookless rims.

I think it's also true that a significant amount of the Zipp/Enve competitive advantage in carbon rims was related to their special treatment of the rim braking surface. So it's entirely plausible that the combination of getting rid of that special surface altogether, along with making it hookless really does make manufacturing cheaper in a way that's reflected in consumer prices.

Or it could be just correlation and something else is driving the surprising price decreases.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 29, 21 11:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KEnglish wrote:

Big one to flag thatā€™s sure to be controversial: Pro One Addix TLE actually tested (marginally) faster than the GP5K TL

Definitely an outlier performance for the Pro One, here. That said, BRR's results for the GP5K TL are maybe a little bit of an outlier, too. Aerocoach (and others) haven't shown them to be quite as close to the top-tier TT tires as BRR.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya that was my initial reaction as well. With that said Albanā€™s results at ā€œcycles et formeā€ (France) put the pro one tle only one watt behind the GP5K TL. He also noted that it was unusual for him to have results that far off from BRR. One potential explanatory factor is that BRRā€™s test tyre was significantly over weight, which typically adds to the Crr. BRR also tests on a bit smaller internal width rim than some others, donā€™t have the expertise to comment on how that may affect differences in differences, but still interesting to think about. As you noted, Xavierā€™s results also showed a modestly smaller gap between the two.
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm.... I have not been paying enough attention, I guess.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also add in that you can get an a decent i9 hub at the 2500 USD price point as well from ENVE.

Very very curious to see how ENVE responds if Zipp pulls something similar with the next generation 404 (reduced pricing).
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Disley, at risk of asking a dumb question, can you offer any insights into why the corsa speed would perform relatively better on the titan than the pro one TT, compared to both on the zephyr. My working theory was that the wider the rim/tire ratio, the more forgiving the complete system would be to poor aero properties of the tire (eg., an open tubular like the corsa speed or the turbo cotton). So in this case I would expect to see the titan stall at low yaw with the corsa speed and the pro one TT to behave as youā€™d expect from a very aero vulcanized tire (tripping the boundary layer to a turbulent state at the right position on the tyre, etc). This is the reason I assumed the new Roval Rapide performs so well with the turbo cotton vs the 2bliss Rapidair. Clearly, however, there is more at play - and is often the case things are likely highly nuanced. Many thanks!
Last edited by: KEnglish: Jan 30, 21 16:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didnā€˜t do RoadBike the tests on a Schwalbe test rig?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KEnglish wrote:
Dr. Disley, at risk of asking a dumb question, can you offer any insights into why the corsa speed would perform relatively better on the titan than the pro one TT, compared to both on the zephyr. My working theory was that the wider the rim/tire ratio, the more forgiving the complete system would be to poor aero properties of the tire (eg., an open tubular like the corsa speed or the turbo cotton). So in this case I would expect to see the titan stall at low yaw with the corsa speed and the pro one TT to behave as youā€™d expect from a very aero vulcanized tire (tripping the boundary layer to a turbulent state at the right position on the tyre, etc). This is the reason I assumed the new Roval Rapide performs so well with the turbo cotton vs the 2bliss Rapidair. Clearly, however, there is more at play - and is often the case things are likely highly nuanced. Many thanks!

The Corsa Speed causes a wheel to stall pretty much regardless of what wheel it's on, on ours it's around 10deg for both the Titan and Zephyr but it's still the fastest tubeless option (unless you have very crazy wind conditions in which case the Pro One TT plus Zephyr is a good combo) because the Crr on the Corsa Speed is so low. The Titan is a narrower wheel than the Zephyr, and so at 0yaw and 2.5deg yaw on the Titan there's a 2.5-3.5w aero penalty if you choose a Pro One TT in 25mm vs a Corsa Speed in 23mm, which in terms of the weighted average drag calcs you don't really recover from (Pro One TT is more aero at 12.5deg and 15deg). Titan was designed around a 23mm Corsa Speed to be fair, although we've had multiple external sources do aero testing work on the Titan and some have had good results with 25mm tyres - we recommend 23mm to be safe. A 23mm on the Titan spreads out to 25mm anyway!

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to the testing with the Rovals?
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [Slowerthanyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly. Spesh provided it to CyclingTips for a recent piece they did on Spesh/Rovalā€™s decision to abandon investing in tubular tech:

https://cyclingtips.com/...-tubulars-heres-why/
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the impression from the article that pro one tle was tested at Schwalbeā€™s facility and likewise for the GP5K TL at continentalā€™s. Both under the supervision of RoadBike techs. Not sure about the other tyres. Had to rely on Google Translate haha. Welcome the assistance of any German speakers out there.

Crr of GP5Ks alps appears to degrade over time based on BRR results. Would be interesting if this holds to the same degree across tires or if it is dependant, in part, on construction. Have heard it argued that final finish on the GP5K wears off fast (canā€™t speak to the veracity of the claim).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KEnglish wrote:
I got the impression from the article that pro one tle was tested at Schwalbeā€™s facility and likewise for the GP5K TL at continentalā€™s. Both under the supervision of RoadBike techs. Not sure about the other tyres. Had to rely on Google Translate haha. Welcome the assistance of any German speakers out there.

Crr of GP5Ks alps appears to degrade over time based on BRR results. Would be interesting if this holds to the same degree across tires or if it is dependant, in part, on construction. Have heard it argued that final finish on the GP5K wears off fast (canā€™t speak to the veracity of the claim).

It is written that all tires were tested at both facilities of Schwalbe and Continental at 30km/h and a load of 50kg. Given results are the mean values of these two measurements. The same wheel, with the same tube and 7bar was used for all tires. I couldnā€˜t find what tube was actually used for the conventional clincher tests.
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting! Thanks for this! Great to see it was the average of two separate tests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
KEnglish wrote:
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/aerodynamics-of-racing-tyres

The TT has the same structure/casing as the normal pro one, so would assume same aero profile.

Also parcours has similar results, but large grain of salt as the deltas (particularly at 0 yaw) between tires just donā€™t seem plausible. Could because their two tests were conducted a year apart:

https://www.parcours.cc/...g-the-new-generation

Schwalbe Pro One TT is very aero. So much so in fact that in very windy conditions, on our Zephyr front wheel (78mm) a 25mm Pro One TT is as fast as a Corsa Speed (23mm or 25mm). As the Schwalbe TT is more puncture resistant than a Corsa Speed it is a great backup combination for windy days or terrible road surfaces. On our Titan (which is deeper at 100mm, and isn't as wide externally as the Zephyr) the Schwalbe TT isn't as good and the Corsa Speed beats it (in both 23mm and 25mm). It does depend a lot on what wheel you're putting it on.

These are our recommendations for tyre choice for racing/training based on aero and Crr data, in order of real world speed:

1. Veloflex Record - fastest thing you can ride, not for very broken surfaces. Similar aerodynamics to the Corsa Speed but the Crr is so much lower than everything no other tyre is faster even if that other tyre is more aero
2. Corsa Speed - great option as you can run it tubeless or clincher, again not for very broken surfaces. This was our top recommendation on the fastest option before the new Veloflex Record came out but is the fastest tubeless tyre
3. Schwalbe Pro One TT - tubeless or clincher, much better for puncture protection than the Corsa Speed, very nearly as fast. If you want to race on a fast tyre in any conditions this is a good option
4. Continental GP5000 - tubeless or clincher. This for everything else. You can race and train on GP5000s and if you want a set of wheels you use at all times on your bike this is what to go with

Of course there are others in there like the Michelin, Pirelli, Specialized, but that's our simplified recommendation list. As stock on our wheels we supply Veloflex, Vittoria, Continental and can supply Schwalbe if people want them but we thought it would be better to make it even easier to understand (Veloflex for best, Vittoria for best tubeless, GP5000 for everything else).

Hey Xavier- dredging up this older post, trying to decide wheel/tire combo for my first race this season. If Iā€™m doing an event (70.3) with a lot of broken/cracked roads, would you think the Schwalbe on the Titan is a better choice? Or Titan is just CS or bust? If I rode an alternate wheel itā€™d have to be clincher, so thoughts on Schwalbe w/ tube vs CS without?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: New RoadBike Crr Test [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Hey Xavier- dredging up this older post, trying to decide wheel/tire combo for my first race this season. If Iā€™m doing an event (70.3) with a lot of broken/cracked roads, would you think the Schwalbe on the Titan is a better choice? Or Titan is just CS or bust? If I rode an alternate wheel itā€™d have to be clincher, so thoughts on Schwalbe w/ tube vs CS without?

Hi Eric :) how about 23mm GP5000 or GPTT? Both of those would be fine on the Titan and also pretty puncture resistant too. I'd avoid the Schwalbe TT and would go with the GPTT instead

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Hi Eric :) how about 23mm GP5000 or GPTT? Both of those would be fine on the Titan and also pretty puncture resistant too. I'd avoid the Schwalbe TT and would go with the GPTT instead

Cool, thanks for the response. I was assuming tubeless setup trumps tubed setup on these sorts of roads since the most likely flat is a pinch flat from hitting a pothole/crack, but I have both those tires, can install them. Thank you!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next