Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
Julebag wrote:
I really want to like this guy, but the video really makes it hard. "I don't care what ST thinks of me, and I made this 10 min long hype video to prove that I don't care!!"

Still will be fun to watch...

I actually did want him to do well at first, i thought it would be a different legit attempt and was actually looking forward to it.

But after that video what a tool. I hope he is reading this. Anyone who has ever done multi day ultra races knows how much help IVs are, especially mid race. And im more than sure he will have a posse of people on the bike to ride behind again.

I might be a slowtwitch moron but also know that he would get killed at an actual ultra triathlon race by people who train and race these events. So i guess he will have to keep making up his own events and rules to stay relevant.

The problem is that the average punter who will be following his 100x100 just won't care about "rules".James knows that and is leveraging the support he got from his merry band of internet defense attorneys to make a pre-emptive strike against anyone who questions anything about the challenge. It is the perfect way for him to be the guy that "The haters" want to shit on. Very smart tactical thinking on his part.

As far as his being competitive against the best of the IUTA (or even the top Ultraman athletes), yes he wouldn't rate but again, nobody outside of our little community gives a shit which is a sad reality for us.Hell,we both know very well that it isn't the fastest IUTA guys and gals who are getting the lions share of attention in the Ultra-Tri world,it is the best Ultra-marketers who get the glory and in some cases the $$$$$$ as a result. I feel for Adrian Kostera who is an IUTA athlete and is doing his 100x100 next year.Nobody outside of his own circle and a handful of us will give a shit at all,instead they will be getting all horny over the "7Iron's on 7Continents in 7Days".

James is doing this as a job and that job is to sell books,another Netflix documentary and charge a shitload for "celebrity coaching" etc,etc.It is very similar to the way Macca is pimping the SUB7/SUB8 Challenge in order to increase the profile of the various business interests he is a major player in. It has been a lean time for MANA Sports,Super League and Bahrain13 during the pandemic and investors need some return.The SUB7/SUB8 will take care of that.

You have to wonder though,if James is as really mentally ready for it this time around. When he did the 50X50X50 he wasn't nearly as well known as he is now and hadn't tasted the success he and his family now live. Has he become just that little bit too cocky? Has he become just that little bit softer where it counts? Who knows, but it is a lot easier to make yourself deal with the hell he will go through when your family is living in a van and there isn't a guarantee of food on the table. Hunger makes people do amazing things and we have to ask if he is still truly "Hungry" this time around.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Feb 8, 21 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly don't think there will be average punters following this.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't he just pounding himself into the ground with this?
Besides muscles, connective tissue and joints, what about internal organs? (echoing doc/coaches I've mentioned this to)

Rest is vital and it's eliminated. Not setting himself up for a long life imo.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
I might be a slowtwitch moron but also know that he would get killed at an actual ultra triathlon race by people who train and race these events. So i guess he will have to keep making up his own events and rules to stay relevant.

He did the Eco-Challenge (Amazon Prime) and his team was mid to back pack.

He's the Dean Karnazes of the ultra triathlon world. Impressive accomplishments without a doubt but a glory hound. I have no problem being impressed by with his 50/50/50 (even with elliptical and IVs) and 100/100/100, while also having very negative opinion of the person.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So imo that's the whole issue. By doing it the way he is doing it, there's no "rule" that says he wont accomplish it. You admit the elipitical but then still call it 50/50. That's sorta the marketing bullshit he's built. The moment he doesn't "run" an marathon, 50/50 is dead. There's no 50/50/50. So again it's hilarious to me that in this attempt apparently only now "no elipitical" will be used.

But the moment you go for something and you don't make it....no problem, you gave it the college try, dust yourself off and give it a go again.

That's competition at the most basic level. And that's imo is his biggest sin. That he compromises the basic "rule" of competition. But again it's "his rules", it's "his challenge" bullshit, but at the most basic level there's no way you can suggest it was done. I lose tons of respect for anyone who suggests it was. (and he obviously doesn't care if he's respected or not). But at the end of the day the "integrity" of you as an competitor atleast in my book really matters. Maybe not to others, but how I'm viewed by my peers is certainly part of my "legacy".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next