Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days
Quote | Reply
So the IC just announced that starting in March he will attempt 100 IMs in 100 days. Didnt listen to the entire video but seems to want to give it a legit shot. Same course everyday with pre established rules. Will be interesting to see what the rules are and how he performs.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopefully he checks in with Slowtwitch before making any changes this time

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not having to travel from state to state should make a huge difference with recovery, but doing 100 in 100 days will be an insane effort. Looking forward to seeing this happen and seeing people on slowtwitch go nuts, when no doubt something slightly controversial will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ultimate 100/100.

I think he's got this without the interstate travel overhead

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jan 5, 21 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought a 50m pool (or OW venue) + like a 12-15 mile loop would be ideal. The loop is just long enough to not get completely bored and lose count but long enough but still "close" to home base. That's a long 3+ months, but not having to travel will be huge as recovery will basically be the same every day, and recovery/sleep is probaly the biggest factor in this type of event.

If he sets the rules from day 1, and sticks to said rules, then good luck.

I do laugh that he said the ST "bullies" will be out....bro I think everyone is rooting for you, just be authentic about it. That's when the "bullies" will come out.

Will be doing it at his home in Utah.

Pool swim
Ride around some loop in Utah
Run from his house

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 5, 21 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I do laugh that he said the ST "bullies" will be out....bro I think everyone is rooting for you, just be authentic about it. That's when the "bullies" will come out.

In his last effort the rules were bent, which is what got people here bent out of shape about it.

I still view what he did as a pretty amazing accomplishment. Compare that to someone going into it with pretty much zero idea what they're doing and see how far they make it (I can't recall how many days AH completed, legitimately).

I'll watch with interest, and it looks like it's for a good cause so I wish him luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be interesting. The verified record was 42, on the same exact course every day. So, doing it on the same exact course every day and sleeping in the same bed etc should aid his recovery.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right but I find it funny when you call him on it you were an asshole. But you were only speaking what was happening. So ppl including myself didnā€™t think he could do it. He proved it what 3 weeks in? But then if you called him on it your an asshole?

So would you rather be an asshole or a liar I guess in that particular case?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
So the IC just announced that starting in March he will attempt 100 IMs in 100 days. Didnt listen to the entire video but seems to want to give it a legit shot. Same course everyday with pre established rules. Will be interesting to see what the rules are and how he performs.

Heā€™s 7-minute abbing himself!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2di69FmhE

But, looking forward to following this. However you feel about him or his previous 50-challenge, he is an absolute beast.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 5, 21 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Right but I find it funny when you call him on it you were an asshole. But you were only speaking what was happening. So ppl including myself didnā€™t think he could do it. He proved it what 3 weeks in? But then if you called him on it your an asshole?

So would you rather be an asshole or a liar I guess in that particular case?

I think being an asshole can also be how you say things, not just what you say.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but In this instance calling out something that isnā€™t what it is isnā€™t necessarily asshole or wrong. You can certainly call anything what you want, but if someone correctly corrects you, thatā€™s not being mean or an asshole or ā€œbullyā€. So again are we suppose to blindly accept something because itā€™s an super difficult task and someone wants to achieve it? Just because you attach an charity with your challenge doesnā€™t make you immune from criticism or allow you make up rules as you go.

Thatā€™s why I laugh at the ā€œST bullyā€ comment from him while in the next sentence acknowledge there will be no elipitical stuff for this one.

Like I hope he does it. Would be hella of an accomplishment. I kinda cringe when the world record is 42, he failed at like 25 and he wants 100. Thatā€™s a huge ask and if he gets to 50 Iā€™d call that success. 43 success. Hell raising a bunch of money is success too.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 5, 21 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I've always thought a 50m pool (or OW venue) + like a 12-15 mile loop would be ideal. The loop is just long enough to not get completely bored and lose count but long enough but still "close" to home base. That's a long 3+ months, but not having to travel will be huge as recovery will basically be the same every day, and recovery/sleep is probaly the biggest factor in this type of event.

If he sets the rules from day 1, and sticks to said rules, then good luck.

Will be doing it at his home in Utah.

Pool swim
Ride around some loop in Utah
Run from his house

Seems like a risk to start in March. Surely there is a reasonable chance of snow. #trainergate
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. We have an asshole that is also a liar running the country šŸ˜–.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Yep. We have an asshole that is also a liar running the country šŸ˜–.

I don't come here for political commentary, can you take this somewhere else please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:

Hey Chuy, Nick Mallett here, I just chatted briefly with James on messenger and he has it all worked out.The whole challenge in going to be in Utah.The swim is indoors and he has two outdoor certified courses for the Bike/Run sections. The "rules" as laid down by Guinness will be published soon for all to see and he is adamant that there will be no mistakes made this time and in his words he "will leave no doubt".

For those who don't know me,I was one of the first people to contact James during his 50x50x50 to query how he was going about his challenge and if it was going to be run with the same rules as the International Ultra Triathlon Association use in order for him to claim a World Record. I was active here on ST during that time chipping in as one of the few IUTA athletes on this forum.I was mentioned briefly in both his book and documentary as one of his detractors.

I got a lot of flack when that documentary came out on Netflix from his fans but as is so often the way they got it mostly wrong.Again it was a case of a fan base turning on someone without actually bothering to find out what the original issues were.Even more stupid from my point of view was the fact that James and I had been messaging each other every now and then over the years. He knows why I called him out and he knows how I feel about what he does and none of it is bad.I messaged him during the Ashely Horner fiasco and asked him to contact her but found out he was just ahead of me and had already done so.

I messaged him today and he explained what he is up to and welcomed me to visit during this years challenge .If travel to the USA for four months was a reasonable prospect for me I would love to go and be there to help for the duration as I think that if anyone can do it,he can.I never once questioned his physical ability,just the administration and lack of accountability of the way the 50x50x50 was done.He assures me that he and his team have learned from their mistakes and this challenge will be legit,above board and verifiable.

Lastly,and I have said this before here on ST,James did not have to be so nice to me back when I contacted him,he didn't have to give me the time of day considering I was one of the loudest voices but he did.Not only that but he has been nothing but welcoming and open to my views on his and others around the world who are doing similar challenges.He has responded to every message I have ever sent him quickly and as a friend. That is testament to the type of person he is and when he didn't need to be he was the better man.For that alone he has earned my respect and I have wished him well.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 5, 21 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of these days, I'm gonna come up with something interesting that'll allow me to not go to work for 3+ months. Anyways, I wish him luck on this round. It'll get really interesting in the late rounds.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
One of these days, I'm gonna come up with something interesting that'll allow me to not go to work for 3+ months. Anyways, I wish him luck on this round. It'll get really interesting in the late rounds.
If you think about it,this is work for him.It is no different to guys crossing the Antarctic ,rowing the Pacific ,climbing Everest or any of the many other challenges that make for a best selling book,a Netflix doco and months on the lucrative public speaking circuit. That is the sort of Gig you need to come up with.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think about it,this is work for him.
---
Oh, I've thought about it. I'm not social enough to turn it into money and I don't think the Wife would appreciate the uncertainty/ stability of one of these endeavors as an income means. That'll be the real trick for me, matching all of the above with a nice, adventuresome gimmick.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever happened to the money he raised on his faked Jaime Oliver Foundation page that actually sent money to the "Iron Cowboy Foundation" which in itself didn't exist?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Whatever happened to the money he raised on his faked Jaime Oliver Foundation page that actually sent money to the "Iron Cowboy Foundation" which in itself didn't exist?
Yeah,what a fiasco that was.I was one of the first to highlight that issue after I went to the weblink for the 50x50x50 and then to the JOFF donation page provided only to find it kick to the IronCowboy donation page.Someone from here on ST took up that part of the "investigation" and contacted the JOFF and the results were documented here in that thread.As usual the fans didn't understand that the money was one of the biggest issues in the whole saga.I believe the money or some money was donated in the end but I have no idea to where or how much.I had stepped away from the whole thing by that stage post event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he should relocate to somewhere with warm and stable weather. if the pool is shut down to some new covid19 lockdown, he is screwed. I think his best bet is florida gulf side.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
he should relocate to somewhere with warm and stable weather. if the pool is shut down to some new covid19 lockdown, he is screwed. I think his best bet is florida gulf side.
Yeah,I mentioned a COVID related termination and he seemed okay with the plans in place.I suspect the pool he has secured for the challenge is a sole use type of thing for the duration.I guess we will find out soon enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
chuy wrote:

Hey Chuy, Nick Mallett here, I just chatted briefly with James on messenger and he has it all worked out.The whole challenge in going to be in Utah.The swim is indoors and he has two outdoor certified courses for the Bike/Run sections. The "rules" as laid down by Guinness will be published soon for all to see and he is adamant that there will be no mistakes made this time and in his words he "will leave no doubt".

For those who don't know me,I was one of the first people to contact James during his 50x50x50 to query how he was going about his challenge and if it was going to be run with the same rules as the International Ultra Triathlon Association use in order for him to claim a World Record. I was active here on ST during that time chipping in as one of the few IUTA athletes on this forum.I was mentioned briefly in both his book and documentary as one of his detractors.

I got a lot of flack when that documentary came out on Netflix from his fans but as is so often the way they got it mostly wrong.Again it was a case of a fan base turning on someone without actually bothering to find out what the original issues were.Even more stupid from my point of view was the fact that James and I had been messaging each other every now and then over the years. He knows why I called him out and he knows how I feel about what he does and none of it is bad.I messaged him during the Ashely Horner fiasco and asked him to contact her but found out he was just ahead of me and had already done so.

I messaged him today and he explained what he is up to and welcomed me to visit during this years challenge .If travel to the USA for four months was a reasonable prospect for me I would love to go and be there to help for the duration as I think that if anyone can do it,he can.I never once questioned his physical ability,just the administration and lack of accountability of the way the 50x50x50 was done.He assures me that he and his team have learned from their mistakes and this challenge will be legit,above board and verifiable.

Lastly,and I have said this before here on ST,James did not have to be so nice to me back when I contacted him,he didn't have to give me the time of day considering I was one of the loudest voices but he did.Not only that but he has been nothing but welcoming and open to my views on his and others around the world who are doing similar challenges.He has responded to every message I have ever sent him quickly and as a friend. That is testament to the type of person he is and when he didn't need to be he was the better man.For that alone he has earned my respect and I have wished him well.

Thanks for this colour and this may be the most exciting thing that happens in triathlon this year at least from an entertainment and "can he do it" angle. We will get his daily splits and various updates that is going to be very interesting.

Without the interstate travel, this guy can do it. I will be cheering for him in spite of being critical of elliptical-gate during 50-50-50.

In terms of rough math if he swims 80 minutes, transitions for 10 minutes, bikes 7 hrs transitions for 10 minutes and runs 5:20, then he is done in 14 hrs daily. This should be easy for him and that 7 hrs bike could include a rest stop for lunch too properly top up not for the "same day" but start the replenishment for the next day. If he is done in 14 hours, this leave 10 hours to shower eat and recover and sleep and getting to the start line of the next day. 10 hrs elapsed ttime between todays end and tomorrow's start may be cutting it tight. Ideally he is done daily in 13 hrs leaving 11 hrs of recovery. But even at 14 hrs he has time, its just tight if you want to get enough sleep.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
chuy wrote:

Thanks for this colour and this may be the most exciting thing that happens in triathlon this year at least from an entertainment and "can he do it" angle. We will get his daily splits and various updates that is going to be very interesting.

Without the interstate travel, this guy can do it. I will be cheering for him in spite of being critical of elliptical-gate during 50-50-50.

In terms of rough math if he swims 80 minutes, transitions for 10 minutes, bikes 7 hrs transitions for 10 minutes and runs 5:20, then he is done in 14 hrs daily. This should be easy for him and that 7 hrs bike could include a rest stop for lunch too properly top up not for the "same day" but start the replenishment for the next day. If he is done in 14 hours, this leave 10 hours to shower eat and recover and sleep and getting to the start line of the next day. 10 hrs elapsed ttime between todays end and tomorrow's start may be cutting it tight. Ideally he is done daily in 13 hrs leaving 11 hrs of recovery. But even at 14 hrs he has time, its just tight if you want to get enough sleep.
The interesting thing is that 100 days gives his body the chance to actually adapt and become stronger,if he doesn't break down.I remember when I was looking at the daily course for the 63 day long Trans Australia Footrace back in 2000 and the race director mentioned in the preamble that they were going to keep the first two weeks under 100k a day until they hit the Nullabor Plain when they would ramp it up to 100k a day.The theory, based on previous trans-continental running races was that your either break down in the first two weeks and get injured or survive and start getting stronger.Some of the times laid down by the top few runners at the end of that event were just bloody amazing.
Trans Australia Footrace 2001 - "Race of Fire" - Standing (transcontinental-footrace.com)

It will certainly be interesting to follow just as the failed one in Sydney was a few years ago when John Mergler and Deb Hazelton did their Iron Century challenge. John ended up falling apart fairly early into the 100 days of Iron but his missus Deb kept on trucking along clicking off her 100x70.3's until she finally finished her last one at Ironman Australia 2017.I think John just went out waaaaaay too hard waaaaaay too early in the peice.
Iron Century - 100 Ironman 100 Days | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy 100 IMs in 100 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without the interstate travel, this guy can do it.

-----------

Someone cue the Cool Hand Luke egg eating contest for my take....100 for 100 is "sexy" but damn he failed at 50 the 1st time, the current WR according to the "rules" is 42.....I aint saying he cant do it, ah hell yes I am. I can root for the event, but damn 100 in 100 days when the current record is *only* in the 40's and that's with the same location if I remember correctly. I dont see how it's possible, at some point a knee niggle or crash is going to get him off schedule, etc.

Maybe you ultra nuts can chime in, but this has to be one of the biggest endurance feats attempted. 100....it's unfathomable imo.

Dragline : Why you got to go and say fifty eggs for? Why not thirty-five or thirty-nine?
Luke : I thought it was a nice round number.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next