Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a training plan geared twds Sprint AND 70.3 Triathlons
Quote | Reply
Hi guys!

I'm looking for a training plan that can help me achieve my goals for my two A races this upcoming season, which I KNOW are inherently different.

1st A Race: June 5th, Sprint Triathlon
2nd A Race: August 29th, (first) 70.3 Middle Distance

I have 2-3 B races in there as well. I should add that I've only done sprints before and one olympic distance and I'm much better with shorter races overall. However, I did sign up for the middle distance, just to give it a try once. There's 13 weeks between the two tris, so I feel like even though I'm quadrupling the race distance, it should be manageable. Since it's my first 70.3 the focus is more on finishing than placing, for the sprint I definitely want to place, seeing as that's my strength.

My question: can somebody possible help me in finding a training plan that I can start using now? I know I should be looking at different mesocycles and I'm finding it impossible to find anything that's focused on basic endurance / winter training right now (since all plans are a maximum of 25 weeks it seems.) Or maybe you guys can share how you're training currently, if you have similar plans next year. I know I should focus on technique, strength and easy endurance for maybe the upcoming two months (?), but I can't find anything specific. I could use a somewhat generic plan and probably tweak it to my needs I think.

I appreciate any input you may have! Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a training plan geared twds Sprint AND 70.3 Triathlons [victorine_anna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should add that I don't have to have a structured training plan for the next couple of weeks - I'm more looking for a general idea on how to train right now, let's say starting with December e.g.

Next 12 weeks till March: Base / Endurance Training
Following 12 weeks till June: Build Up / Race Specific to Sprint
1 week: transition phase
12 weeks after: Build up/ Race Specific to 70.3

I know I have the basic capacity to do each distance for the half right now even, so maybe if I just focus on doing shorter, more intense intervals in the weeks following up the sprint, and then switch to longer high-intensity efforts for the half, while keeping longer, basic endurance efforts throughout the entire year, would that work?

Sorry, I hope that made sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a training plan geared twds Sprint AND 70.3 Triathlons [victorine_anna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try TrainerRoad and their plan builder. I have codes for a free month that I can send you if you want to see what it suggests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is the plan.

It is not rocket science but it will work

weekdays

• Swim intervals 4x per week. The harder the better, 60 min per session ideally
  • Bike intervals 3x per week, the harder the better, 60 min per session ideally
  • Run easy 4x per week 20-45 minutes

Weekend

• Run 90 min with 5x1 mile at 10% slower than sprint tri target race pace
  • Bike 2,5- 3 hrs including 40km time trial in the middle (go as hard as you can go for an hour, no coasting no drafting, no stopping stay aero), 15 min transition run jogging

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally my suggestion for a cookie cutter plan is the book 80/20 triathlon ($10 on amazon). Matt Fitzgerald's book is a great way to understand the simple and effective training principles for athletes that are new to structured training. They provide 3 different levels of plans for each distance: sprint, oly, half, full. Go on 8020endurance.com forum and you can ask the author directly which level of plans to use for your training. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlete.com has a "super simple" 70.3 plan I've loosely followed in the past.

https://www.triathlete.com/training/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan

I think it's light on swim/run so I added yardage/mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each year I train and compete in sport moves me farther and farther away from the idea of specialization. This year more than any other has showed me what's possible by just building a foundation and getting super "globally" fit.

My n=1 this summer had me set PR's in 20min power, 5min power, 5k running, Half Ironman (with a 13.1 mile OTB Pr), & a 200 mile bike ride for fun all in the span of 10 weeks.

My take:
  1. Get super globally fit and STRONG. Strength = speed.
  2. Build your "base" but keep some leg speed and touch all energy systems.
  3. Spend 8-10 weeks working VO2, threshold, and a bit of anaerobic tolerance before the sprint.
  4. Then go into your muscular endurance block after the sprint.
  5. Suffer Faster

It's actually a perfectly formatted season. I'll shoot you a DM as well.

Mark Saroni